2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
What medical study could have predicted a stress fracture?

Edit: i have read conflicting things. One is that he hurt himself in OTAs, and another that they knew in the combine. If they knew in the combine, then they were stupid to waste a year on a pick. If he hurt himself in OTAs, there isnt anything they could have looked at that would have tipped them off that a stress fracture was coming. He was healthy in college

I read a report that said it was speculated that he played injured all last season at West Virginia.

Looking for the link...

If I read speculation, I'll take back my opinion, but the article seemed very sincere.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
If they knew it at the combine, I find it hard to believe that wouldn't have leaked out until now. But the Ryan Pace regime isn't off to a great start.

Hopefully this won't do anything to set White back forever, but this is the Bears.

If they knew at the combine, then he shouldnt have participated in any OTAs

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
Wouldn't a stress fracture have made it very hard to play hurt, and wouldn't that be the kind of thing that would heal very poorly if it weren't diagnosed?

I believe so, which is why I think he hurt it in OTAs. All they were saying is that he was owning it when he was practicing.

So did White have a small stress fracture that they have been hoping would heal itself on its own only to completely break the thing while trying to get some light practice time in last week? They pushed it too hard right?

Thats what I got from it.

He got hurt during OTA's. They knew it was a stress fracture though. They tried to heal it with rest and avoid all of these questions. When he ramped his workouts back up, he realized that it still hurt and the team opted for surgery. He has a 3-6 month recovery time and will most likely miss his rookie season but he should be 100% once he returns.

While I understand that teams don't have to disclose injuries right now, it did piss me off between Kevin Whites "I don't have a stress fracture!" and the things Fox would say in camp like "You guys are acting like we are holding back some terrible injury from you, it's day to day"...well you ... were. You can hold back injury info in a way that's less disrespectful.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 05:24 AM)
McDonald or White?

It seems to be a failure in free agent scouting, player character evaluation, and medical study of potential draft picks.

Pace acted quickly and swiftly to dump McDonald and I was fine with the thought of a 2nd chance if you thought he was innocent. What health red flags existed on White? Dude got hurt...it happens. It sucks but it happens.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
Wouldn't a stress fracture have made it very hard to play hurt, and wouldn't that be the kind of thing that would heal very poorly if it weren't diagnosed?

The issue is that usually this type of stress reaction is first diagnosed as shin splints. This goes on for awhile and if it doesn't go away they look for a the stress reaction area. So even if they knew about it early, they were probably thinking, "it's just shin splints, he'll be fine."

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
So did White have a small stress fracture that they have been hoping would heal itself on its own only to completely break the thing while trying to get some light practice time in last week? They pushed it too hard right?

Thats what I got from it.

It didn't completely break. It is still a stress reaction that won't go away. The rod is inserted to stabilize the area to take whatever stress there is away to allow it to heal. This is why White has continually said he would like play through it but the team won't let him. It's an area that hurts but isn't unstable.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
He got hurt during OTA's. They knew it was a stress fracture though. They tried to heal it with rest and avoid all of these questions. When he ramped his workouts back up, he realized that it still hurt and the team opted for surgery. He has a 3-6 month recovery time and will most likely miss his rookie season but he should be 100% once he returns.

He probably had "shin splint" issues further back than OTAs. It's the typical progression for this type of thing.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 07:33 AM)
What medical study could have predicted a stress fracture?

Edit: i have read conflicting things. One is that he hurt himself in OTAs, and another that they knew in the combine. If they knew in the combine, then they were stupid to waste a year on a pick. If he hurt himself in OTAs, there isnt anything they could have looked at that would have tipped them off that a stress fracture was coming. He was healthy in college

Nothing can predict it. The only exam that really can determine it is a bone scan. X-rays can find them after they have started to heal.

So ESPN has jumped right back on that Tebow wagon FULL STEAM AHEAD!

Hey everyone, look at what this (maybe) third stringer did against guys who will be selling insurance in 2 weeks! A former Heisman scored a touchdown in meaningless preseason garbage time, LETS PUMP IT UP!!!

Chargers just gave Jay Cutler...err Phil Rivers a ton of money. Amazing how everyone loves Phil and hates Jay, when they are essentially the same QB (not tools wise, but production wise). I will be delusional and hope that Jay and Phil play each other in the superbowl this year. Why...cause it would be fun :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Chargers just gave Jay Cutler...err Phil Rivers a ton of money. Amazing how everyone loves Phil and hates Jay, when they are essentially the same QB (not tools wise, but production wise). I will be delusional and hope that Jay and Phil play each other in the superbowl this year. Why...cause it would be fun :)

You may want to look at the stats again. Cutler has a 180/130 TD/INT. Rivers is 250/122. In that aspect alone he is much more productive. If you like QB rating it's 85 for cutler 95 for Rivers. Neither is great but rivers has been much more productive.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
So ESPN has jumped right back on that Tebow wagon FULL STEAM AHEAD!

Hey everyone, look at what this (maybe) third stringer did against guys who will be selling insurance in 2 weeks! A former Heisman scored a touchdown in meaningless preseason garbage time, LETS PUMP IT UP!!!

Honestly though, if the Eagles do plan on going for 2pts more because of new XPT rules, he is probably one of the better QBs you could get for 1 play at the 2 yard line.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)

They aren't even close.

I thought Rivers should have won the MVP in 2013.

Rivers really poor down years dragged him down, and you shoulnd't discount them. But he has been awful for 2 seasons but also quite good outside of that. I'd take his quite good seasons probably over any Jay season in a bear uniform.

I probably should have said I judge him more by his bad seasons then his good seasons. He has had some seasons where he clearly has been better then Jay ever was, but by and large he had superior weapons.

PS: I don't actually dislike Rivers, I just think they are guys who are relatively similar in terms of playoff track records, etc. Of course I'm also not a Jay hater and am no longer a Jay lover, but I still think you can win with Jay Cutler as your QB, so I don't think the Bears are in a spot like some franchises (say the Browns...where you have utter crap at QB).

I'm not a Jay Hater much, except when I watch him :)

I just feel disappointed. I'd rather have Jay than stuck in Bills/Houston situation. But, I am annoyed that as we found relative stability at QB we could not draft talent at any other position to take a risk in trading up for young talent (mariota etc). We need so much help, we have to take what comes, and no, I do not get excited for pretty much any QB who falls out of top 15. Russel Wilson and Tom Brady are the top of a very long list that turns to crap shortly after them.