2015 MLB Catch-All Thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
Adam Darowski @baseballtwit

Bartolo Colon has faced 11,957 batters.

29 were heavier than him.

All 29 were Dmitri Young.

jeez, that was extremely funny. i love it.

many many kudos for the person who thought of this. :drink

:notworthy

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
I know his peripherals aren't awful, but it's disappointing to see how much worse Strasburg's stuff is since he debuted.

It's hard to average 97 MPH on your fastball as a starter.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
I know his peripherals aren't awful, but it's disappointing to see how much worse Strasburg's stuff is since he debuted.

thats because the stuff he had in college destroyed his elbow, and he knows he shouldnt do that anymore. Now he isnt super human, but merely extra good human

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 5h5 hours ago

There is a possibility that Jarrod Parker might need a third Tommy John surgery, writes Susan Slusser. http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/Mo...ers-6259810.php

A possibility? I could have sworn they said this recent injury, the tendon tore a part of the bone off

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
A possibility? I could have sworn they said this recent injury, the tendon tore a part of the bone off

It's really difficult to have an avulsion of the bone where the tendon attaches and not damage the ligament as well. They attach to pretty much the same place.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 13, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
It's really difficult to have an avulsion of the bone where the tendon attaches and not damage the ligament as well. They attach to pretty much the same place.

When it happened, I believe Jeff Passan was tweeting about it and he was mentioning multiple sources talking about it looking like an injury that normally happens to children and teenagers.

Edit: here are the tweets

@JeffPassan: Jarrod Parker's latest injury is very common in children. Because bones aren't fully formed, the UCL literally tears off a piece of bone.

@JeffPassan: It's why torn UCLs are rare in 11- and 12-year-olds. The opposite is true in adults. Drilling from multiple TJs can leave bone vulnerable.

@JeffPassan: Jarrod Parker's injury is infinite kinds of unfortunate. If he throws another pitch, what an incredible story. No one back from three TJs.

@JeffPassan: @kevinfarmermd @injuryexpert So if I'm reading correctly, same ligament is used but bone is repaired? Titanium buttons or another method?

@JeffPassan: As this study shows (h/t @kevinfarmermd), Jarrod Parker may not necessarily need a third TJ. Surgery still brutal. http://t.co/srdPJiBxVL

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
When it happened, I believe Jeff Passan was tweeting about it and he was mentioning multiple sources talking about it looking like an injury that normally happens to children and teenagers.

Edit: here are the tweets

@JeffPassan: Jarrod Parker's latest injury is very common in children. Because bones aren't fully formed, the UCL literally tears off a piece of bone.

@JeffPassan: It's why torn UCLs are rare in 11- and 12-year-olds. The opposite is true in adults. Drilling from multiple TJs can leave bone vulnerable.

@JeffPassan: Jarrod Parker's injury is infinite kinds of unfortunate. If he throws another pitch, what an incredible story. No one back from three TJs.

@JeffPassan: @kevinfarmermd @injuryexpert So if I'm reading correctly, same ligament is used but bone is repaired? Titanium buttons or another method?

@JeffPassan: As this study shows (h/t @kevinfarmermd), Jarrod Parker may not necessarily need a third TJ. Surgery still brutal. http://t.co/srdPJiBxVL

that is somewhat accurate. The reason it happens in kids is that there is a growth plate there and the growth plate fractures and cause the avulsion.

This case is more like Gavin Floyd or Bobby Jenks where there is a fracture and they will need to put in a pin to hold it together. However, in these cases it was a stress fracture not a full avulsion. A true fracture and avulsion is something unique. It is probably due to the weakened bone after two TJ surgeries.

If it is only an avulsion without ligament damage then they will just need to pin it in place. If it's a fracture with ligament damage, he is in trouble. The bone will be really weak.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
Addison Reed just gave up a walk-off Grand Slam to the Nationals' stellar young CF, Michael Taylor.

You can't walk off in the top of the 9th! Newwwwwb

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 13, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
Hopefully he'll get it, the no hitter jinx takes effect and he'll be bad the rest of the season.

Well, he was pretty bad (compared to last year, ERA around 4 and no wins/run support) for the first 6 starts this season, so I wouldn't count on that happening.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)
Well, he was pretty bad (compared to last year, ERA around 4 and no wins/run support) for the first 6 starts this season, so I wouldn't count on that happening.

What! I can't count on a jinx working! What kind of baseball fan are you.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
Cleveland pulled Kluber after 8 innings, 113 (?) pitches, and 18 K's.

He had a shot at the record and they pulled him!!!

i don't know and i am not pretending to know. i am just throwing out this idea.

you remember last yr with Sale and not being pulled. he wound up getting a sore arm / shoulder or someting. maybe they didn't want that.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 14, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)
Cleveland pulled Kluber after 8 innings, 113 (?) pitches, and 18 K's.

He had a shot at the record and they pulled him!!!

To set the record, you are probably looking at 125-130 pitches. Klubers high pitch count this year was 107 pitches, and he has averaged 100.4 so far this year. 125-130 is really pushing it for a guy who hasn't even gotten to 110 this year.