2015 MLB Catch-All Thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone's copying the White Sox now, lol. Matheny, Ausmus, Jennings...can't wait to see the national baseball media pick this one apart. Reminds me of when Larry Dierker (if I recall correctly) went from broadcaster to manager of the Astros. This will be one of the first managers (maybe the only one) without at least significant minor league playing experience. The next, inevitable step is an Ivy League/quant/sabes (love ya Gregaroo) guy directly going into managing.

Jennings, a well-respected scout and executive, has no professional managerial experience and last coached a team when he was in charge of Davidson High School in Mobile, Alabama, almost 30 years ago.

He has spent 13 years in the Marlins front office after first serving as a scout with the Reds and Mariners for seven years and then seven-plus seasons as the scouting director for the Tampa Bay Rays. Jennings played college baseball and was signed by the Yankees in 1984, but quickly left the organization.

It's unknown if Jennings will still retain his title as general manager.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miam...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Everyone's copying the White Sox now, lol. Matheny, Ausmus, Jennings...can't wait to see the national baseball media pick this one apart. Reminds me of when Larry Dierker (if I recall correctly) went from broadcaster to manager of the Astros. This will be one of the first managers (maybe the only one) without at least significant minor league playing experience. The next, inevitable step is an Ivy League/quant/sabes (love ya Gregaroo) guy directly going into managing.

Jennings, a well-respected scout and executive, has no professional managerial experience and last coached a team when he was in charge of Davidson High School in Mobile, Alabama, almost 30 years ago.

He has spent 13 years in the Marlins front office after first serving as a scout with the Reds and Mariners for seven years and then seven-plus seasons as the scouting director for the Tampa Bay Rays. Jennings played college baseball and was signed by the Yankees in 1984, but quickly left the organization.

It's unknown if Jennings will still retain his title as general manager.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miam...l#storylink=cpy

and many posters, including I, was criticizing or pointing out the problems in chi with it manager and FO.

can you imagine that freaking circus in miami??? dear lord i couldn't even stomach the thought.

I don't know if he had much of a say in becoming the manager but either way if the team fails, now it is all on him.

It doesn't appear he will be continuing GM duties while in uniform.

It does put a lot more accountability on the GM.

Gar/Pax should take to the bench if they get rid of Thibs. Put your necks on the line.

Edited by Dick Allen

This move actually has a little Bill Veeck in it.

Back when Ron Schueler couldn't pitch anymore, Veeck made him a pitching coach since he was going to pay him anyway. Jennings, I would imagine, isn't getting any extra cash to manage the Marlins. Loria saves a little bit on hiring a manager, and Jennings' contract is up at the end of this season anyway, so look for a new GM/manager combo in Miami in 2016.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
I don't know if he had much of a say in becoming the manager but either way if the team fails, now it is all on him.

It doesn't appear he will be continuing GM duties while in uniform.

It does put a lot more accountability on the GM.

Gar/Pax should take to the bench if they get rid of Thibs. Put your necks on the line.

Really though, from everything we have read about this, the guy who should truly have his neck on the line is Loria. His fingerprints are all over this team

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
Really though, from everything we have read about this, the guy who should truly have his neck on the line is Loria. His fingerprints are all over this team

And you really think he's going to pull a Ted Turner?

The fans might actually show up for that one, to see him fall flat on his face and dance on his grave.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
And you really think he's going to pull a Ted Turner?

The fans might actually show up for that one, to see him fall flat on his face and dance on his grave.

I dont think he will, no, but I think him constantly blaming and firing managers and GMs really sucks. Deadspin has a few articles about how he overrides tons of personnel moves and a lot of it really messes up the way the teams are built.

But, alas, you cannot fire the owner