Third Base and Catcher

cabiness42

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people were fine with Connor at 3B going into the season. If he's one of your 2 worst position players, you'll be okay. Maybe you replace him midseason, maybe you dont. It's not like he's plagued us with 3 years of being inept like a certain catcher. Still think Soto will be the starter sooner than later.

Soto will be the starter within the next 2 weeks.

3B is a premium position that would have costed a ton of money, or ton of prospects to improve this past offseason. Hahn already pushed the envelope with the $$$ and did a ton, he can't fix EVERYTHING.

3B will be a target at the deadline if we're in it.

QUOTE (staxx @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)

3B is a premium position that would have costed a ton of money, or ton of prospects to improve this past offseason. Hahn already pushed the envelope with the $$$ and did a ton, he can't fix EVERYTHING.

Matt Wieters and Evan Longoria I can see as targets.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
I think most people were fine with Connor at 3B going into the season. If he's one of your 2 worst position players, you'll be okay. Maybe you replace him midseason, maybe you dont. It's not like he's plagued us with 3 years of being inept like a certain catcher. Still think Soto will be the starter sooner than later.

Conor v. RHP and Gordon v. LHP should produce a pretty solid OPS for the position. Individually, neither of them are special (Conor would be an average 3B, Beckham a below-average 3B) but platooning them should net above-average production out of third base for very little money.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (staxx @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)

in the offseason, i was and still a huge advocate of the sox FO not going out and making this team prepared for this season. the thing is we as fans has many more eyes and opinions on how to fix a team.

with that, Hahn and the FO did do a hell of a job and fixing it. was it complete, maybe. this team strength, from last yr, are not producing, yet. we as fans need to have some faith, and give this team a chance to get it going. they will rock, of this i am sure.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)

I was really hoping Longoria was a trade target this offseason. He would be one of the few players I wouldnt mind giving up a bit for in terms of prospects.

Eaton

Cabrera

Longoria

Abreu

LaRoche

Avi

Alexei

Soto

Johnson

That would be a dangerous lineup

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)

I can't see the sox who are trying to build up their farm system which has been horrible for a while and turn around to empty out it to get longoria. Wieters would be trade a bunch of prospects and turn around and possibly loose him after the season when he hits free agency cause his agent is boras. Would be better to go after him in the offseason when he's a free agent.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
I was really hoping Longoria was a trade target this offseason. He would be one of the few players I wouldnt mind giving up a bit for in terms of prospects.

Eaton

Cabrera

Longoria

Abreu

LaRoche

Avi

Alexei

Soto

Johnson

but at what cost??? do the sox really have the bodies to pull this trade off??

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)

Eaton

Cabrera

Longoria

Abreu

LaRoche

Avi

Alexei

Soto

Johnson

What a line up that would be.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
Probably not Rodon. But almost certainly two and possibly three of Anderson, Danish, Montas and Adams.

might as well include Hawkins and Fry.

too much either way, just need to address that in the offseason.

last yr, at the end of the yr stats, Conor was 18 in all of the 3b's stats. it is still not a bad point, but compare it to the hitting power yeah i can see it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#elem=[object+Object]&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+hitting&game_type=%27R%27&season=2014&season_type=ANY&league_code=%27MLB%27&sectionType=sp&statType=hitting&page=1&ts=1428938989877&position=%275%27&playerType=QUALIFIER&sportCode=%27mlb%27&split=&team_id=&active_sw=&page_type=SortablePlayer&sortOrder=%27desc%27&sortColumn=h&results=&perPage=50&timeframe=&last_x_days=&extended=0

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
imo, the sox need to suck it up and address this in the draft. obviously Davidson is not the answer for the future. need a 2 - 3 yr fix until the draft pick will be making a name for himself.

They do have trey michalczewski who is their 8th top prospect at 3b

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
They do have trey michalczewski who is their 8th top prospect at 3b

dang it, i forgot about him.

btw, do you think he will address the power numbers many posters love to see??