Third Base and Catcher

cabiness42

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
I still think Conor is a really good 3Bman. Line drive contact hitters are desperately what this team needs.

as i said earlier, i am ok with Conor, if he can replicate his performance of last yr, before the mid august meltdown.

his defense..... well lets see if he has improve.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
I honestly wonder if the price would be as high as we all think. Prospect returns seem to be dropping in trades for stars.

For him, I think it would as Tampa would have to be able to justify it to their fans.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
For him, I think it would as Tampa would have to be able to justify it to their fans.

Also worth pointing out at age 29, his 2014 might not have been a fluke. If you throw out his partial 2012, his OPS has gone down each year since 2009. [.889, .879, .850, .842, .724]

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
I honestly wonder if the price would be as high as we all think. Prospect returns seem to be dropping in trades for stars.

you bring up an interesting point. could it be, the rtn is based to

a. how many teams want to get into the bid for a superstar player.

b. the rtn is based on what the winning team bid is.

c. if the team is willing to trade the superstar for less than the perceived value.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Agreed. It's premature to think the Sox are going to bring in a big acquisition at C/3B. Not only are we unsure this team is going to be in contention, it's important to consider when they make the leap and I think next season should be a much more sensible time. Looking too far ahead, it's obvious that C/3B would be at the forefront of team's next offseason's plans. For now, the Sox can give Gillaspie/Flowers their last chance and hope their farm generates enough currency (Hawkins/Thompson/Danish/Montas/Anderson) to be able to make a move if the right acquisition were to precipitate.

Don't forget Adams, and maybe Davidson putting himself back in the conversation.

That would probably be Hahn's preference, that Matt makes himself a legitimate part of the 3B/DH conversation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 12:11 AM)
Don't forget Adams, and maybe Davidson putting himself back in the conversation.

That would probably be Hahn's preference, that Matt makes himself a legitimate part of the 3B/DH conversation.

At this point, if Davidson can turn himself into a 3rd base platoon player, I'll take it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
I really don't know why a team trying to get a stadium built would trade it's signed long-term face of the franchise.

Longoria isn't going anywhere.

Thinking he's available is as proposteurous as the guy in Boston who thought the Red Sox were owed Chris Sale.

I do think Longoria would be available for a major package since I think the stadium decision is still a ways off. Tampa Bay has lost Price, Maddon and Zobrist all of whom were not only big names on the field but also in the community. So I don't think Longoria is an untouchable. But I think Rodon would have to be the starting chip.

Honestly, I think adding a legit catcher will be Hahn's #1 priority in the coming months. Flowers is not a starting catcher IMO and while Soto has looked good so far, odds are he can't stay healthy (and productive) with a regular's workload. None of the AAA or AA options are more than backup material, so this is a position that desperately could use a long-term solution.

I still think Jason Castro is the most likely target and I'd be a fan of his acquisition despite his unpopularity on this site.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
I do think Longoria would be available for a major package since I think the stadium decision is still a ways off. Tampa Bay has lost Price, Maddon and Zobrist all of whom were not only big names on the field but also in the community. So I don't think Longoria is an untouchable. But I think Rodon would have to be the starting chip.

Rodon may have to be the starting chip at this point in time, but come July 31st he very well could be the more valuable asset when you consider the financials.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:13 AM)
Honestly, I think adding a legit catcher will be Hahn's #1 priority in the coming months. Flowers is not a starting catcher IMO and while Soto has looked good so far, odds are he can't stay healthy (and productive) with a regular's workload. None of the AAA or AA options are more than backup material, so this is a position that desperately could use a long-term solution.

I still think Jason Castro is the most likely target and I'd be a fan of his acquisition despite his unpopularity on this site.

re - catching, and what is out there. i have no idea who will be avail for trade or anything. this, i will take a back seat on.

Trading Rodon for Longoria's borderline insane....unless it was the team/cost-controlled Longoria of his first 6-7 seasons, career-wise.

That's selling too low on our top asset for what used to be a Top 3 MLB 3B....but can Longoria ever get back to being that player? How much of last year was the start of a permanent downtrend and how much just a blip on the radar?

The Longoria of 2014 would be outproduced by the Gillaspie/Beckham platoon 8-9 times out of 10.