Third Base and Catcher

cabiness42

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
dang it, i forgot about him.

btw, do you think he will address the power numbers many posters love to see??

He's still pretty young but looks like alot to work on offensively. Figuring he's only hit 13 home runs in 717 plate appearances might not help.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
He's still pretty young but looks like alot to work on offensively. Figuring he's only hit 13 home runs in 717 plate appearances might not help.

but that is my point, now in this era, the hrs may not be as important if the hitter is batting avg is a 250.

what is a good spread???

i am rather lost in this. yeah i like the 3b to hit 25 hrs but if his avg is sacrificed??

i think i wrote it right.

i don't think the sox org should not mortgage anything, esp since the org is rebuilding. many of this, missing parts could be address thru smart moves in the fa's. pretty much like getting Adam L and Melky C for a short contract life.

at the same time, getting better thru the draft.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
I guess since the price of trading for Longoria out of the Cubs probably would be Soler+ that might make some sense, but hard to call that an ideal matchup.

Baez is their main trade chip now, and it wouldn't surprise me if they moved him sooner rather than later before his star fades even more.

To stress...the White Sox are probably a pretty good fit for Longoria. They have a long term need at 3b, don't have anyone who could immediately fill that, could probably take on the salary, want to win now, and have the type of top flight player available in their system Tampa bay would want back.

The problem is that player is Rodon.

IMO, if you're not willing to give up Rodon for him then the conversation ends from the White Sox's side, because the Rays don't have to move him and they ought to wait until they get that level of return for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
I guess since the price of trading for Longoria out of the Cubs probably would be Soler+ that might make some sense, but hard to call that an ideal matchup.

that is how i was taking that comment, meaning they have more to trade with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
To stress...the White Sox are probably a pretty good fit for Longoria. They have a long term need at 3b, don't have anyone who could immediately fill that, could probably take on the salary, want to win now, and have the type of top flight player available in their system Tampa bay would want back.

IMO, if you're not willing to give up Rodon for him then the conversation ends from the White Sox's side, because the Rays don't have to move him and they ought to wait until they get that level of return for him.

i like the points you are making, but the problem is, not only the price in prospects that needed to be paid, but the salary. if you remember during the off season, the owner management couldn't acknowledge or wouldn't acknowledge that they had money to absorb that kind of salary.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
I don't think this is the season the Sox should mortgage the future but given his contract, Adrian Beltre would probably be the easier player to acquire. The AL West is going to make it awfully hard for an injured Rangers team to be in the picture these next two seasons.

I thought the same thing and almost posted it earlier. Aramis Ramirez as a possibility as well?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
No it wouldn't. Rather, if it was, Longoria would never be a Cub. Considering contracts, Soler could easily be a much more valuable player every year of his rookie contract.

If the Cubs actually talked to the Rays I think the Rays would ultimately ask for Russell and the Cubs would counter with some mix of Baez/Almora/Voglebach/Johnson/McKinney. Regardless, it's probably best that TB keeps some sort of draw to the team so Longoria is more valuable to them that any other team. If their pitching falters they'll be looking at early 2000's type teams.

I should note that I am very high on Soler so I might be seeing things different than others.

I am very high on Soler too, really wish the Sox could've signed him.

In regards to Longoria, the Sox don't have the prospects to trade for Longo and I think that it wouldn't be wise to do so.

I do think that third base and catcher are the two weakest positions in the system however.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)
I don't see the Sox as a fit because they shouldn't mortgage the future in 2015. If the Sox were to inquire on Longoria, it would be in June/July and I think Rodon will already be featured prominently by the Sox and I doubt the Sox would disrupt the rotation at that juncture.

Tim Anderson is not a top flight prospect at this point but a few good months and he'll improve his nearly consensus top 50 prospect ranking. Sure, MLB teams don't value top prospect lists, but using them as a benchmark, an improvement on his current standing would put him in the top class of prospects in the MLB. He'd essentially be the prospect they envisioned to Tim Beckham to be.

a view of T Andeerson being a top flight is rather subjective. if a team is in need of a MI then the priority of getting a Anderson would fill the bill.

do you think the ranking of a prospect was or is needed by the org??? i always thought it was for us, the fans to help in their enthusiasm of their club.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)

This sums it up for me. Things only change if the Rays become motivated to move him, that's where the market will determine the price range. Unless other Top 20 prospects are in play, say the Dodgers offer Urias/Seager or the Cubs offer Russell, there's no reason the Sox would have to include Rodon. If Anderson and a couple of Danish/Montas/Adams take a step forward in 2015 and become Top 50 types, they would comprise a competitive offer. However, in the short term, I agree it's all pretty much moot.

I really don't know why a team trying to get a stadium built would trade it's signed long-term face of the franchise.

Longoria isn't going anywhere.

Thinking he's available is as proposteurous as the guy in Boston who thought the Red Sox were owed Chris Sale.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
I really don't know why a team trying to get a stadium built would trade it's signed long-term face of the franchise.

Longoria isn't going anywhere.

Thinking he's available is as proposteurous as the guy in Boston who thought the Red Sox were owed Chris Sale.

Trading him could actually be the smart play though. Do you think people would go to a new stadium to see 1 star player? I'm not trying to argue, I've just never understood that sentiment. Rockies and Phillies could benefit from dealing Hamels, Lee, Utley, Cargo, Tulo. I've seen the excuse that the fans go to watch those guys play. I'd much rather have the return and the possibility of a better baseball team instead of going out and seeing a bad team play that has "stars" on it. I know it's a different scenario from Longoria but if they could get 5-6 players? I'd consider it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
Trading him could actually be the smart play though. Do you think people would go to a new stadium to see 1 star player? I'm not trying to argue, I've just never understood that sentiment. Rockies and Phillies could benefit from dealing Hamels, Lee, Utley, Cargo, Tulo. I've seen the excuse that the fans go to watch those guys play. I'd much rather have the return and the possibility of a better baseball team instead of going out and seeing a bad team play that has "stars" on it. I know it's a different scenario from Longoria but if they could get 5-6 players? I'd consider it.

In other words the Rays need to get a spectacular return for him. They'd probably move him in that case. Until then, he's an all star on an extremely affordable long term contract that they don't need to move and that won't change until someone gives them a great offer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)

I think if you looked at trades where franchise players are involved, most of the the time, while you may get some slick prospects, your baseball team gets worse. The biggest thing your team gains is the financial relief.

Longoria isn't making TB bleed cash. He isn't constantly injuried like 4 of the 5 players your mentioned. I think the goal of trading the guys you mentioned is to save the team some money, not to make the team better in the short term, and he is signed so long, he still will be there if there is another rebuild. Prospects are still maybes.

Longoria is the one guy they signed of all the guys they have had come through. It's obvious the team thinks he is the face of the franchise. I think it's a pipedream they would trade him away, at least for anything the other side would call anything close to fair trade.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)

and Balta said, the rtn will help rebuild the team, if the rtn is worth anything.

however having that 1 star to help draw the fans, i can see that. pretty much a double edge sword. damn if you do, damn if you don't.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)
I think if you looked at trades where franchise players are involved, most of the the time, while you may get some slick prospects, your baseball team gets worse. The biggest thing your team gains is the financial relief.

Longoria isn't making TB bleed cash. He isn't constantly injuried like 4 of the 5 players your mentioned. I think the goal of trading the guys you mentioned is to save the team some money, not to make the team better in the short term, and he is signed so long, he still will be there if there is another rebuild. Prospects are still maybes.

Longoria is the one guy they signed of all the guys they have had come through. It's obvious the team thinks he is the face of the franchise. I think it's a pipedream they would trade him away, at least for anything the other side would call any close to fair trade.

i agree with the most part of what you are saying, so don't get wrong on this next part.

yes the trade would be great, only if the rtn is worth its weight. a #1 and 3 type pitchers plus some needed positional help.

that may do it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
It's amazing that you thought the discussion came from your post. How often does the original post dictate the conversation in a thread after the first page? It's pretty obvious that 3B/C are going to be a point of emphasis moving forward.

let me also add, the topic of a much needed talk. this was a harmless topic and everyone is being kool with the response.