Rodon Joining Sox Tomorrow - Working out of Bullpen (Initially)

DirtySox

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might already be too little, too late (in terms of getting any refocused attention with the slow start, Bryant hysteria and Bulls/Blackhawks)...but this is going to be a huge important development year in terms of setting things up for 2016.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
If Quintana was going to the DL, Rodon wouldn't be coming up as a reliever.

When was the last time he pitched? He could be out of the bullpen for a day or two and then start in place of Quintana. I doubt it but that is the first thing I thought of. I am not a fan of him being here out of the bullpen

At this point in the season and with 5 starters already and 2 lefties in the pen I am not a fan of this move. It really has been the offense being so inconsistent and poor baseruning and those are the two major issues right now not the pitching staff

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
When was the last time he pitched? He could be out of the bullpen for a day or two and then start in place of Quintana. I doubt it but that is the first thing I thought of. I am not a fan of him being here out of the bullpen

Well, you can't be a fan of him starting this week and then being shut down in mid to late August, either.

It's the best way to limit his innings and pitch count for the next 2-3 weeks while he gets his feet wet...and he can refine his fastball and change mechanics with Cooper and Geo Soto to watch over him and monitor his daily progress.

And it's impossible to discount the PR angle of it...although I hardly doubt there will be any type of attendance bump like the Cubs are getting with Bryant (at least Fri and Sat).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
Well, you can't be a fan of him starting this week and then being shut down in mid to late August, either.

It's the best way to limit his innings and pitch count for the next 2-3 weeks while he gets his feet wet...and he can refine his fastball and change mechanics with Cooper and Geo Soto to watch over him and monitor his daily progress.

And it's impossible to discount the PR angle of it...although I hardly doubt there will be any type of attendance bump like the Cubs are getting with Bryant (at least Fri and Sat).

Do you have to mention Bryant in every post?

I normally don't like moving guys back and forth between the pen and rotation, but in this case it makes sense. They want him to get prepared for MLB competition in a relatively safe environment and they absolutely have to keep his innings total relatively low this year. This kills two birds with one stone.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
I normally don't like moving guys back and forth between the pen and rotation, but in this case it makes sense. They want him to get prepared for MLB competition in a relatively safe environment and they absolutely have to keep his innings total relatively low this year. This kills two birds with one stone.

Exactly, and as long as everything goes as planned, he will see the rotation unless he gets injured or the rotation is nails.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)

That's what I'm thinking. He started last Thursday. Tomorrow is like a side day, and he could start Friday, theoretically.

There could be quite a few roster moves this week.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rodon and Erik Johnson both get starts in the next 7-10 days.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)

This.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)

Yep. This is the only reason to do something like this. It is the right move.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)

White Sox lack of run production not Ventura cause for slow start . Take away 12 run game they have averaged 2.6 runs per . (3,45 overall )

Honestly, I think he should replace Haber as Asst. GM if Levine can diagnose what's wrong with the team/organization so easily and remedy the situation.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
White Sox lack of run production not Ventura cause for slow start . Take away 12 run game they have averaged 2.6 runs per . (3,45 overall )

Honestly, I think he should replace Haber as Asst. GM if Levine can diagnose what's wrong with the team/organization so easily and remedy the situation.

How in the world could anyone rip someone for saying run production is a problem.?

I know you want to keep the rip Robin bandwagon rolling, but use some common sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
How in the world could anyone rip someone for saying run production is a problem.?

I know you want to keep the rip Robin bandwagon rolling, but use some common sense.

Is he a scientist that can just isolate "run production" and say that it's 82.6% of the reason for the slow start?

C'mon!

Use some common sense that it's simply the local media protecting a "favorite son" and that's about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)
A rookie lefty in the bullpen is not going to "Stable the ship"

you are right, but just maybe the mere presence of doing something, something as little as this, can have a positive effect. something needs to change the luck.