Rodon Joining Sox Tomorrow - Working out of Bullpen (Initially)

DirtySox

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get all the freaking out in this thread. This move makes perfect sense. Even Chris Sale came up as a reliever.

Keeps Rodon's innings down so he's potentially viable at the end of the season. Allows him to acclimate to MLB hitters in small doses initially. If he's lights out, you can quickly test him in more stressful situations. If he's still got a learning curve, you can use him in situations that don't cost you games. There are a LOT of reasons to get him up to speed in a series of relief outings before you shift him to the rotation. It also allows you to better evaluate which starter he should replace.

I'm just thrilled he's not using up his innings in Charlotte.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
Is he a scientist that can just isolate "run production" and say that it's 82.6% of the reason for the slow start?

C'mon!

Use some common sense that it's simply the local media protecting a "favorite son" and that's about it.

LOL. You make up percentages all the time.

Robin isn't a quote maxhine. The media doesn't need to protect him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)
LOL. You make up percentages all the time.

Robin isn't a quote maxhine. The media doesn't need to protect him.

What qualifies Levine to make the assertion that Ventura isn't responsible at all?

Hasn't he (Bruce) been watching the same team/organization repeat the same exact pattern of mistakes since September of 2012?

Why would any sane baseball observer expect it to change?

What's Balta's trademarked quote again?

There are two types of White Sox posters on this site. Those who live in the Chicago area and those who live thoughout the world. I have been a fan since the late 50's while always following from a distance. I was totally confused and bulls*** over the MLB Comcast feed I saw last Friday here in Florida. While watching the Hawk/Stone feed of a great pitching duel, I was stunned to see the feed switch to the Cubs game to see Bryant's at bats during his ML debut. Is Chicago baseball in that bad a state??? I was thrilled to see him strike out but doing this was bussh league. If between innings they showed updates, fine. Will they be interrupting Bulls or Blackhawk games to cut away to see Bryant or Rodon live next week??? I assume Hahn called Rodon up based on a plan and not in response to the Bryant BS on display Friday.

I will admit I have no clue how Comcast fits in to Sox/Cubs TV rights.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
What qualifies Levine to make the assertion that Ventura isn't responsible at all?

Hasn't he (Bruce) been watching the same team/organization repeat the same exact pattern of mistakes since September of 2012?

Why would any sane baseball observer expect it to change?

What's Balta's trademarked quote again?

Explain he Dodgers in 2013. Mattingly needed to be fired. The watch was on. Then they got ridiculously hot. If they made the change a week before the streak, everyone would have concluded that would never have happened with Mattingly. I see now you are trying to become Balta's yes man, but Balta's theories don't make any sense. Balta thinks if you orepare the exact same way in sorimg trainiing, the results should be exactly the same. Any sane baseball observer would know that is not true. This team has some talent. The last 2 did not. The defense is going to be shaky at best no matter who is making out the line up card. The offense, as Levine pointed out, has to get going. You don't win many games scoring 1 run.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
There are two types of Whit Sox posters on this site. Those who live in the Chicago area and those who live thoughout the world. I have been a fan since the late 50's while always following from a distance. I was totally confused and bulls*** over the MLB Comcast feed I saw last Friday here in Florida. While watching the Hawk/Stone feed of a great pitching duel, I was stunned to see the feed switch to the Cubs game to see Bryant's at bats during his ML debut. Is Chicago baseball in that bad a state??? I was thrilled to see him strike out but doing this was bussh league. If between innings they showed updates, fine. Will they be interrupting Bulls or Blackhawk games to cut away to see Bryant or Rodon live next week??? I assume Hahn called Rodon up based on a plan and not in response to the Bryant BS on display Friday.

I will admit I have no clue how Comcast fits in to Sox/Cubs TV rights.

That was an MLB Network deal. The White Sox Comcast telecast didn't go to Bryant's ABs.

I would guess that the front office and coaching staff have seen enough of Quintana to suspect that he needs to be shut down. This is the first time that I can

remember him looking this bad, and not being able to throw 93 - 94. This sudden loss of velocity is very alarming. At the least, they need to get him out of the rotation, and Rodon is the natural choice to replace him.

Rodon is not coming up to replace Danks. Johnny is what he is, at this point, and the Sox, knowing that, have decided that he still has a place at the back end of the rotation, as an innings eater. In addition, there is his contract. All we can hope is that whatever is wrong with Quintana, that it's temporary, and that he'll bounce back. He is definitely not a #3 starter, at this point, and Rodon could very well be that, or better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 07:02 PM)
Explain he Dodgers in 2013. Mattingly needed to be fired. The watch was on. Then they got ridiculously hot. If they made the change a week before the streak, everyone would have concluded that would never have happened with Mattingly. I see now you are trying to become Balta's yes man, but Balta's theories don't make any sense. Balta thinks if you orepare the exact same way in sorimg trainiing, the results should be exactly the same. Any sane baseball observer would know that is not true. This team has some talent. The last 2 did not. The defense is going to be shaky at best no matter who is making out the line up card. The offense, as Levine pointed out, has to get going. You don't win many games scoring 1 run.

Gee, totally the exact same situations.

Did I miss where the White Sox had an unlimited budget and were bringing in $334 million per year from Comcast/RSN's?

That team was filled with too much talent, it was a matter of getting them to play to their potential and also have the willingness to share or give up playing time. A-Gone, Puig, Hanley Ramirez (the two who spear-headed the pennant drive), Carl Crawford, Ethier, Matt Kemp, Josh Beckett, Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Edinson Volquez, Jansen, League, etc.

When you change almost 85-90% of the roster from Opening Day 2012 but still have the same bunting, baserunning, defensive/wrong routes and reads, throwing to the wrong bases or missing cutoff men, "fundamentals" issues....despite an almost complete turnover of the roster, then who exactly do you hold responsible?

We can't blame Viciedo or DeAza any longer, right? It's all because of "lackadaisical" Alexei, then?

Hahn and JR, more than the everyday manager?

So, using the DA logic that pitching coaches and hitting coaches and managers don't really matter at all, then the only logical thing left to do is seek institutional/ownership change, right?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
wow, wasn't expecting this. Have a feeling if Noesi has a bad start, Rodon will then be in the rotation. What I don't get is that there's absolutely no need for him in the bullpen right now, as lefty relief and Robertson is the only thing going well for the team.

Axtually there is a need but its to keep his innings down in case the Sox make a playoff push.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
I would guess that the front office and coaching staff have seen enough of Quintana to suspect that he needs to be shut down. This is the first time that I can

remember him looking this bad, and not being able to throw 93 - 94. This sudden loss of velocity is very alarming. At the least, they need to get him out of the rotation, and Rodon is the natural choice to replace him.

Rodon is not coming up to replace Danks. Johnny is what he is, at this point, and the Sox, knowing that, have decided that he still has a place at the back end of the rotation, as an innings eater. In addition, there is his contract. All we can hope is that whatever is wrong with Quintana, that it's temporary, and that he'll bounce back. He is definitely not a #3 starter, at this point, and Rodon could very well be that, or better.

What? Quintana will not be shutdown. He was a 5 WAR pitcher last year. He needs to stop docking around and throw strikes. Rodon will be in the pen, like they've said and then he'll take Noesi's rotation spot.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
C'mon, Dan...

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 2m2 minutes ago

Gonna guess Carlos Rodon wears No. 16. Wore No. 80 in spring training. Has worn 16 in past.

To be honest, I had no idea what was wrong with him wearing #16. Figured out the reason. I think if I had to name all the Sox retired people, I would have never thought of Ted Lyons. I don't blame Dan for forgetting.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)
wow, wasn't expecting this. Have a feeling if Noesi has a bad start, Rodon will then be in the rotation. What I don't get is that there's absolutely no need for him in the bullpen right now, as lefty relief and Robertson is the only thing going well for the team.

I agree.

This is beyond weird. So I guess he comes in the sixth or seventh if we can get a starter besides Sale/Shark to go that long. So he'll pitch the sixth and seventh or seventh and eighth? But how's he gonna get enough work to stretch himself to be a starter?

Unless Sox are making him the powerful 8th inning guy to get to the ninth, which is weird cause this team doesn't figure to be leading going into the 8th all that much. I don't see why he doesn't just start but maybe they plan to pitch him a lot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)
I agree.

This is beyond weird. So I guess he comes in the sixth or seventh if we can get a starter besides Sale/Shark to go that long. So he'll pitch the sixth and seventh or seventh and eighth? But how's he gonna get enough work to stretch himself to be a starter?

Unless Sox are making him the powerful 8th inning guy to get to the ninth, which is weird cause this team doesn't figure to be leading going into the 8th all that much. I don't see why he doesn't just start but maybe they plan to pitch him a lot.

It will still be Duke and probably Jennings.

He'll begin as the long man and work his way up from there, like Buehrle did. He won't be inserted into the closer's role like Sale was in 2010, and that wouldn't make sense anyway with what they're paying Robertson and how effective he's actually been.