Should Sanchez Replace Johnson?

Lillian

I know it's early, but Sanchez had the second highest average of any Sox hitter in Spring Training, with a .425 avg. He went 2 for 3 in his only AB's, when the season started, and he has been on fire at Charlotte. His defense is outstanding, and I'd like to see him bat in the 2 hole, which would allow Melky to be moved into a spot where he could drive in more runs. In addition, he seems quite adept at batting second, which is a more valuable spot in the lineup than the 9TH hitter.

Why not let Johnson have a full year at AAA, and earn a spot? Based upon what Sanchez did at Charlotte last year, and how he has come out of the "starting gate," he deserves a shot.

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
I know it's early, but Sanchez had the second highest average of any Sox hitter in Spring Training, with a .425 avg. He went 2 for 3 in his only AB's, when the season started, and he has been on fire at Charlotte. His defense is outstanding, and I'd like to see him bat in the 2 hole, which would allow Melky to be moved into a spot where he could drive in more runs. In addition, he seems quite adept at batting second, which is a more valuable spot in the lineup than the 9TH hitter.

Why not let Johnson have a full year at AAA, and earn a spot? Based upon what Sanchez did at Charlotte last year, and how he has come out of the "starting gate," he deserves a shot.

No. And the organization agrees.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)

Micah did earn a spot.

Carlos has had 103 ABs in the majors. He has a .280 OBP, .591 OPS, 26 strike outs.

He hasn't really set the world on fire in the majors either. Difference is, Micah is much faster and has drawn the same amount of walks in 1/4 of the PAs.

I feel like Johnson really hasn't been bad. Yeah he is only batting .208 but his OBP is .321 and has worked the count more then almost any other hitter except maybe LaRoche. Yeah his defense is a bit shaky but he hasn't made an error yet and is making the routine plays. He has also only started 8 games so I don't think it is fair to really evaluate him yet. Let's see how the rest of the month plays out

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
I feel like Johnson really hasn't been bad. Yeah he is only batting .208 but his OBP is .321 and has worked the count more then almost any other hitter except maybe LaRoche. Yeah his defense is a bit shaky but he hasn't made an error yet and is making the routine plays. He has also only started 8 games so I don't think it is fair to really evaluate him yet. Let's see how the rest of the month plays out

This is where I'm at; if Eaton and Melky didn't get off to such horrid starts you wouldn't even notice Micah and quite frankly hes been doing a commendable job at the plate for a rookie, he is going to need work on defense though.

While Johnson has looked............ awkward at times, I think that he's doing a good job defensively. Plus he's been having some solid at bats, going deep into the count and seeing a lot of pitches, which is HUGE, especially for a #9 hitter.

baring an injury I don't forsee Sanchez EVER playing second base for the Sox again. Micah is the future so unless we keep Sanchez in the minors for 5 more years he has no use for the Sox. I would trade him for catching or another pitcher. But the Sox are gonna keeps him just in case Micah does not pan out.

The reason to make the change is based more on the way Sanchez is performing, than it is on Johnson's slow start.

I'm especially intrigued by the idea of having Carlos hit second, which is a much more valuable spot in the lineup, than 9TH.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 04:55 AM)
The reason to make the change is based more on the way Sanchez is performing, than it is on Johnson's slow start.

I'm especially intrigued by the idea of having Carlos hit second, which is a much more valuable spot in the lineup, than 9TH.

They are certainly not going to move Melky down for Carlos Sanchez. While Sanchez is raking, keep in mind players generally don't hit .400. He is due to make some outs.

Of course, he is not going to hit .400. However, he is hitting as well as anyone in the organization, and doing it in the 2 hole. Right now, the Sox are not getting many base runners, in front of Abreu and the rest of the middle of the order. Just what would they be losing, by demoting Johnson? What has he done to block Sanchez?

Edited by Lillian

You don't make these kinds of desperation moves barely 1/16th of the way into a season...yes, we're behind the 8 Ball, but the fact is that Carlos Sanchez wasn't an overwhelming offensive force by any stretch of the imagination last year (at the MLB level).

I'm sure they have their reasons for sticking with M.Johnson, just like Guillen was right to have reservations about playing Viciedo against tough righties from 2010-2011 or bringing up Gordon Beckham too quickly (2008-09) and letting the hype build and build....he was, in the end, right on both accounts...remember, there was a long period of time when Juan Pierre was really struggling and Viciedo was raking in the minors that they stood pat and didn't make a move and it seemed inexplicable at the time.

It's going to be hard for the fans to let go of their hopes of making the playoffs in 2015, but Micah Johnson's the better long-term solution at 2B, and in order to build a playoff-caliber team, they're going to have to take their lumps with him THIS year. If they push him back another year, you're breaking in a rookie on a team that absolutely has to compete for the division title/playoffs/wildcard from Day 1. Better to do it in 2015.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 05:31 AM)
You don't make these kinds of desperation moves barely 1/16th of the way into a season...yes, we're behind the 8 Ball, but the fact is that Carlos Sanchez wasn't an overwhelming offensive force by any stretch of the imagination last year (at the MLB level).

I'm sure they have their reasons for sticking with M.Johnson, just like Guillen was right to have reservations about playing Viciedo against tough righties from 2010-2011 or bringing up Gordon Beckham too quickly (2008-09) and letting the hype build and build....he was, in the end, right on both accounts...remember, there was a long period of time when Juan Pierre was really struggling and Viciedo was raking in the minors that they stood pat and didn't make a move and it seemed inexplicable at the time.

It's going to be hard for the fans to let go of their hopes of making the playoffs in 2015, but Micah Johnson's the better long-term solution at 2B, and in order to build a playoff-caliber team, they're going to have to take their lumps with him THIS year. If they push him back another year, you're breaking in a rookie on a team that absolutely has to compete for the division title/playoffs/wildcard from Day 1. Better to do it in 2015.

That's a very compelling argument, and I think you're right. I guess I'm going to just start focusing on next year. If the Sox can get their s*** together, this year fine. However, they will still have everyone next year, with the possible exception of Samardzja. I'll just have to take solace in that.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
Micah did earn a spot.

Carlos has had 103 ABs in the majors. He has a .280 OBP, .591 OPS, 26 strike outs.

He hasn't really set the world on fire in the majors either. Difference is, Micah is much faster and has drawn the same amount of walks in 1/4 of the PAs.

I think Sanchez deserves more of an opportunity than that initial stretch last year after his late season call up. He might have had some rookie jitters. I would rather have him on the bench than Bonifacio.

Sanchez has a high average, but that will come screaming down. His BABIP is .615. He has a 7 to 1 K to BB ratio. He has gotten off to a strong start, but it is most because he is getting lucky. The organization is in better shape if Micah Johnson is the guy because of his much higher ceiling. You have got to give Johnson time. It's been barely 10 games for him, not even close to being enough time to make an educated decision.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
Sanchez has a high average, but that will come screaming down. His BABIP is .615. He has a 7 to 1 K to BB ratio. He has gotten off to a strong start, but it is most because he is getting lucky. The organization is in better shape if Micah Johnson is the guy because of his much higher ceiling. You have got to give Johnson time. It's been barely 10 games for him, not even close to being enough time to make an educated decision.

Agree, you have to give Micah a good 2 to 3 months before even considering a change. Micah's K rate has been too high, but he's also got a BB rate in the double-digits. His BABIP is also pretty low for a guy with his speed. Long-story short, he hasn't looked overmatched yet offensively despite what the numbers may say and until then he deserves a legit opportunity at the 2B job.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 06:21 AM)
Of course, he is not going to hit .400. However, he is hitting as well as anyone in the organization, and doing it in the 2 hole. Right now, the Sox are not getting many base runners, in front of Abreu and the rest of the middle of the order. Just what would they be losing, by demoting Johnson? What has he done to block Sanchez?

So if you swapped out Johnson for Sanchez and 10 games from now, Micah is hitting .400 in AAA and Sanchez .200 with the White Sox, do you swap them again?

The Sox made their decision and have to give Micah a legitimate shot. I did wonder about this before the season started as it is not unusual for a rookie to struggle, and the team is trying to win, but you have to give him at least 25 to 30 games. You swap him out after 11, your minor leaguers are going to notice and think they have to make an immediate impact when they get called up or they will get sent back down. It's hard enough as a rookie, but even harder when you think you have to have all star numbers right away.

You bat your best hitter second (or third of you're not familiar with that sabremetric school of thought), Carlos Sanchez is not the team's best hitter.

Why would you want a worse hitter batting second? Melky has started slow, but there's no question he's the better bat.

Or, for another argument, let's look at what the White Sox/Ventura did with Marcus Semien last year.

Sort of the same thing we're arguing about between Johnson and Sanchez right now...which is a demotion or sitting him on the bench for significant periods of time.

In the end, Marcus really didn't have that 2-3 month extended look he really deserved, and should have received, in what turned out (and was expected/predicted to be) another long rebuilding season. A lot of those AB's ended up going to Beckham, which got us where exactly?

Bonifacio would have been the perfect final addition to a team that was already in playoff contention, but he's actually one sort of "semi-big" contract that serves as an added obstacle for players like Sanchez, Saladino and even Leury Garcia. And I'm starting to get the same feeling about Gordon Beckham as well.

Ultimately, we're not the Oakland A's and haven't mastered the art of platooning players effectively or optimizing their results.

There's no guarantee that Marcus Semien will end up as a long-term answer for the A's at SS, but he certainly wasn't provided a full opportunity in Chicago after he struggled and was overwhelmed early with the high K totals and just making enough contact in general.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)

I agree you stick w Micah. But how did you come to the conclusion that Sanchez success is" most because he is getting lucky" ???

Not just early - way too early. Also Johnson is getting on base at a reasonable clip given he's so new to MLB and lacked AAA time. His defense is shaky at times, so is the baserunning, but he's not had a chance to calm down into it either.

Unless he's really, really bad, you give him until at least the ASB.