White Sox call up Tyler Saladino

Balta1701

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
Boni has sucked goat balls but RV has no clue how to use him.

Clearly he's sucked, but track record says he can be a decent bench piece against lefties.

And what you said.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
The thing about Bonifacio is he usually is pretty weak for long stretches, but goes on an amazing hot streak or 2 which keeps his numbers respectable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
The RV doesn't know how to use him is pure BS. He has a ..344 OPS against LHP, a .332 OPS vs. RHP, his glove has been horrible.

RV not playing him IS USING HIM PROPERLY.

I'm pretty sure the first post explained the way you wind up needing to use him?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
I'm pretty sure the first post explained the way you wind up needing to use him?

Not really. You don't know when the hot streak is going to happen. If he gets a couple of hits, it probably is a sign to keep him in the line up a few days, but if he is not hitting at all, it isn't unusual.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Not really. You don't know when the hot streak is going to happen. If he gets a couple of hits, it probably is a sign to keep him in the line up a few days, but if he is not hitting at all, it isn't unusual.

That leads to the conclusion you actually have to play him on a fairly regular basis otherwise he's almost guaranteed to be a complete waste?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
That leads to the conclusion you actually have to play him on a fairly regular basis otherwise he's almost guaranteed to be a complete waste?

For him to not be a complete waste, he would need to play better defense when he's not hitting. TO put a likely bad offensive player in 2 games a week in which every 3rd week he'll be offensively successful, you can't have his garbage d for the rest of the time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)

Exactly. Which in hindsight made the signing of Bonifacio a huge waste in the first place because he wouldn't have played everyday even if everything happened perfectly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
For him to not be a complete waste, he would need to play better defense when he's not hitting. TO put a likely bad offensive player in 2 games a week in which every 3rd week he'll be offensively successful, you can't have his garbage d for the rest of the time.

The way I'd have used him, except for when Abreu was hurt, would be to put him in RF on days when there's a left handed starter and move Garcia to the DH spot. Takes LaRoche's bat out of the lineup against LHP, gives Bonifacio more regular PAs, and we might still actually get a defensive upgrade. Then maybe he does find a groove with more regular PAs and we could use him more in the IF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
The way I'd have used him, except for when Abreu was hurt, would be to put him in RF on days when there's a left handed starter and move Garcia to the DH spot. Takes LaRoche's bat out of the lineup against LHP, gives Bonifacio more regular PAs, and we might still actually get a defensive upgrade. Then maybe he does find a groove with more regular PAs and we could use him more in the IF.

Him being exclusively OF reserve is consistent with him being a waste.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Him being exclusively OF reserve is consistent with him being a waste.

We really do need a righty somewhere in this roster to take PAs away from LaRoche. That's the role I thought Semien would fill...then that became the role I thought Bonifacio would fill, because why else would you spend that much money on him after already signing Beckham? (Beckham, btw, was needed to be the RH platoon with Gillaspie, which was equally important to having a platoon partner for LaRoche)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)

Yep, he should have been playing 3-5 times a week from the start and he should have been mostly in RF and 3B.

I was totally in support of bonifacio as well. But he has played like dog crap and him being awful at 2b and SS has not led me to believe that not signing beckham and relying on him for 3b would have been key to anything. The problem with Bonifacio has been bonifacio. He was a great idea that has been outplayed by everyone else in some facet or another. ANd that is SAYING something.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
We really do need a righty somewhere in this roster to take PAs away from LaRoche. That's the role I thought Semien would fill...then that became the role I thought Bonifacio would fill, because why else would you spend that much money on him after already signing Beckham? (Beckham, btw, was needed to be the RH platoon with Gillaspie, which was equally important to having a platoon partner for LaRoche)

They signed Bonifacio before they signed Beckham. The fact is Beckham and Shuck outplayed him. People moan about guys like Flowers and Beckham and Sanchez and last season Leury Garcia, well, Bonifacio has been worse than all of them, yet there are complaints he isn't used "properly". If being used properly is not being used with the other guys, why wouldn't it apply here?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
They signed Bonifacio before they signed Beckham. The fact is Beckham and Shuck outplayed him. People moan about guys like Flowers and Beckham and Sanchez and last season Leury Garcia, well, Bonifacio has been worse than all of them, yet there are complaints he isn't used "properly". If being used properly is not being used with the other guys, why wouldn't it apply here?

Pretty sure I didn't like how Leury was used last year. He was on the bench so Konerko could be on the roster when he should have been starting at SS, probably in AA. With as little positional talent as the White Sox have, even a remote chance wild card seemed to me to be better than letting him rot on the bench as the emergency backup.

Anyway...the end result is this is another failure by the front office. We desperately needed platoon partners for the guys they were going to use at 3b and DH and the job they did of filling that role is totally inadequate, leaving this team extremely easy for left handers to beat.

I don't want sox to get get rid of Beckham cause of his defense. RV should use him as defenisve replacement toward the end of the game. He shouldn't start more then 1 game a week. First time posting, been reading material here for past couple of years love the insight most SoxFan have. Been Sox Fan since '92.

QUOTE (JolietThunder @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
I don't want sox to get get rid of Beckham cause of his defense. RV should use him as defenisve replacement toward the end of the game. He shouldn't start more then 1 game a week. First time posting, been reading material here for past couple of years love the insight most SoxFan have. Been Sox Fan since '92.

Welcome to the forum!

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Tough series, fairly new at the position and tough spot in the order to throw a kid into. He must have made an enemy in the organization.

How so?

It's an opportunity in the big leagues, time to step up. There is no reason to baby him.

I think Bonifacio or Conor will be gone before Gordon if Saladino is able to stick. Gordon is at least providing stellar defense, it just comes down to Saladino starting or being a utility player like Bonifacio was supposed to be. That means backing up the entire infield with the ability to go to the OF in a pinch.