7/26 Sox @ Indians 12:10 CT

GGajewski18

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:09 PM)
not at all, he ran it down and was there to make the catch but the sun has been brutal in RF all day.

Thanks! You know things are changing when a couple months ago that would have cost us the game

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
If this is true' why is Terry Francona and a roster not making $150 million a good manager?

Indians all year have looked like a team that bought into the hype that preseason publications gave them. Their pitchers have great stuff, but the results have been nothing special.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
Well he's been quite a solid run producer for the last several years.

I'm seeing the same thing as you, and I'd cut bait if there was any kind of upside to doing so. But there just isn't. There is no real alternative. There is no significant salary relief to be had.

We need to put him in the best position to succeed and get him out of this funk.

The alternative is you get what little salary relief you can or just bite the bullet . At least then you have an open roster spot and a chance to upgrade the lineup. He's been bad against lefties for years . If the Sox are serious about contending they don't have space for a 1st baseman who can't provide anything except an occasional HR and defense at a position that is not of importance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)
If this is true' why is Terry Francona and a roster not making $150 million a good manager?

It is a good argument against managers mattering much. You have to admit though, Dick, the Sox are a dysfunctional team.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)
Thanks! You know things are changing when a couple months ago that would have cost us the game

That's for sure. That error would have opened the floogates for a quick 3 spot and loss. All hail the bizarre White Sox. Today that error didn't matter a bit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
Our Chuck just said this was the first series in 19 the Sox faced a team below .500.

He also just said that they are "7 or 8 games, something like that" out of the Wild Card race. It is pretty scary that somebody making a living reporting on sports doesn't know that they will be 5 games out after the Twins most likely lose today. Big difference between 8 games and 5 games.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
The alternative is you get what little salary relief you can or just bite the bullet . At least then you have an open roster spot and a chance to upgrade the lineup. He's been bad against lefties for years . If the Sox are serious about contending they don't have space for a 1st baseman who can't provide anything except an occasional HR and defense at a position that is not of importance.

Would be nice if we could at least reconstruct the lineup to push him down.

CF Eaton

3B Saladino

LF Cabrera

DH Abreu

RF Garcia

SS Ramirez

1B LaRoche

2B Sanchez

C Flowers

Either way I don't want LaRoche hitting higher than 6th right now.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
He also just said that they are "7 or 8 games, something like that" out of the Wild Card race. It is pretty scary that somebody making a living reporting on sports doesn't know that they will be 5 games out after the Twins most likely lose today. Big difference between 8 games and 5 games.

And it's our entire sports media. The Chicago media, for as long as I remember, is basically allowed to be ignorant because that's the perception of much of the people in Chicago.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)

Who would you give his PAs to?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
Would you be willing to jettison Beckham to bring up Micah?

No. I'd jettison Bonafacio.

But let me make something clear. If LaRoche made Beckham's salary next year, I wouldn't be too concerned about eating it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
Would you be willing to jettison Beckham to bring up Micah?

With Micah's biggest problem being "defense" it does seem like having him "play DH for 2 months" could lead to a real developmental setback for him.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)

That and the runner at 3rd with 0 outs in the 6th who was left stranded. So maybe the universe is throwing us a bone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
With Micah's biggest problem being "defense" it does seem like having him "play DH for 2 months" could lead to a real developmental setback for him.

I'm not saying I'd do it, but it's an interesting concept in theory.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
I agree. It would be another "all-in move". If you keep Samardzija, it might be worth that gamble.

It'd at least get him more time with big league coaches (whether or not you think thats a good thing is a different story) as well as occasional starts. Regardless, he will be up in a month either way.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
There's got to be a veteran at-bat available somewhere/somehow before July 31st...or, worst-case scenario, a targeted hitter passes through waivers.

RABURN

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
Who would you give his PAs to?

That's what trades and free agents and Micah Johnson are for. Doesn't have to be anyone on the roster now necessarily. Could be Avi or Soto. A lot depends on who the Sox move in the off season Adam Lind would be nice. There's a lot of possibilites . I mentioned Chris Colabello he's 31 having a good year with the Blue Jays . Make the Shark trade to them a blockbuster if they're willing . Trade to get a good defensive OF like Dalton Pompey and Colabello .Offer up Avi ,Shark , Petricka, Putnam, Trayce Thompson ( not all of them just whatever it takes to get the deal done )

If Avi was in the minors now I'm sure his hitting stats would dwarf Pompey's . And Pompey's defense could run circles around Avi's. They're only 1 year apart in age. The system needs good glove OF's who could be a potential replacement for Melky when his contract is up. Maybe could buy low on Pentecost (catcher) considering his shoulder has had 2 surgeries on it. I see a lot of potential between the Sox and Blue Jays consummating a deal.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
It'd at least get him more time with big league coaches (whether or not you think thats a good thing is a different story) as well as occasional starts. Regardless, he will be up in a month either way.

I don't disagree on the big league coaching part, but "losing a whole month of reps" at 2b would seem like a major loss. No matter how much you do it in practice, if you're not doing it in games, you're not practicing. Things like keeping focus, making decisions, footwork under pressure, all those split-second decisions you make, a month without that seems like a real loss. I don't think the greatest coach in the world can make up for game action.