My How Things Have Changed in 4 Days

sin city sox fan

After the Cleveland series, this team is definitely not a "seller" anymore. The only question is "are we a buyer?" Do we go out and get a bat? Or do we not mess with the outstanding chemistry this team has developed? I know its dangerous to mess with a roster that is already a World Series contender, but I'd really like to see us add someone who can hit 20 HRs and drive in 50 runs down the stretch. I really think this is the missing link that could insure us the first championship in 10 years. Let's experience the joy of 2005 over again in the coming months!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
After the Cleveland series, this team is definitely not a "seller" anymore. The only question is "are we a buyer?" Do we go out and get a bat? Or do we not mess with the outstanding chemistry this team has developed? I know its dangerous to mess with a roster that is already a World Series contender, but I'd really like to see us add someone who can hit 20 HRs and drive in 50 runs down the stretch. I really think this is the missing link that could insure us the first championship in 10 years. Let's experience the joy of 2005 over again in the coming months!

What are you willing to give up for Justin Upton?

Garcia would be the DH against LHP.

But you're hardly guaranteeing a championship, let alone a "one and done" wild card game on the road with Chris Sale against the Astros or Angels.

And I seem to remember a 9-2 stretch before the All-Star break being followed up by a 1-6 run that knocked us out of it again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
Sweeping a shifty Cleveland doesn't change things. That's my opinion at least.

We now face an even s***tier Boston team that could put us within a couple games of a playoff spot.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
And selling will help that? We are in a complicated spot

Doing nothing won't help either. It's not about the longshot that this season is. It's about 2016/2017/2018 and so on.

A comp pick for Shark has little chance to ever help this team. Get some close to MLB talent.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)

Beat a bad Cleveland team nothing has changed at all. Look at last home stand tells me all I need to know 100% seller.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)

You pull this routine on every message board. A roster that is already a World Series contender? You mean the historically bad offense? The pitching is great sure. Offense horrible.

You still trade Samardzija if you receive the package you want. They can sell that to Sox fans. They offered an extension, Shark wants to test free agency, so they sold him off. It's not like him being here would affect how many people come to the park.

We were dominated by 2 good teams, and we beat a bad team.

Nothing has changed.

Honestly, this continued White Flag paranoia is what is unsaleable. This ceaseless sojourn for some veteran that Kenny Williams believes is "elite" is what needs to stop.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)

Nothing has changed.

Honestly, this continued White Flag paranoia is what is unsaleable. This ceaseless sojourn for some veteran that Kenny Williams believes is "elite" is what needs to stop.

:lol:

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
You pull this routine on every message board. A roster that is already a World Series contender? You mean the historically bad offense? The pitching is great sure. Offense horrible.

The only thing that has changed is that we appear less desperate and may get a little more in trades because of that

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)
Beat a bad Cleveland team nothing has changed at all. Look at last home stand tells me all I need to know 100% seller.

True, but the WAY we beat Cleveland has to make you pause just a bit and say, WTF? I watched a Robin interview and he was saying, "Sometimes it takes a while to finally gel." I mean, I throw up my hands in exasperation. I do believe this team is horsecrap, but I can't PROVE it. So if they want to play out the string with the current players, I think I know what's gonna happen (finish about 10-20 under .500) but I can't prove it. So f*** it ... do whatever you want, Hahn. It's impossible to figure out this team.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 11:19 PM)

Nothing has changed.

I tend to agree nothing has changed, I really do. But ... what if 3B and 2B really have improved this much?? What if this is the real Melky? What if our five starters continue to roll?? If you put a gun to my head I'd agree with you "nothing has changed." I really would. But ...

This team wants to play. They are playing to stay together and not trade away Shark. If they continue to win until the deadline, then they earn the right to stay together.

I guess I might say they are showing us that TWTW. (Oh Hawk, you poet you). Actually F*** Hawk, but this team is playing some good ball. It might be even more fun to watch if we can somehow parlay LaDouch out of here and maybe bring Micah up.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 03:50 AM)
This team wants to play. They are playing to stay together and not trade away Shark. If they continue to win until the deadline, then they earn the right to stay together.

I guess I might say they are showing us that TWTW. (Oh Hawk, you poet you). Actually F*** Hawk, but this team is playing some good ball. It might be even more fun to watch if we can somehow parlay LaDouch out of here and maybe bring Micah up.

Good take. Can't argue with that at all.

It's really difficult to imagine a trade with the Blue Jays, at this point. Hahn, KW and company likely see themselves as a team that can overcome the Blue Jays. Not that they will, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The Blue Jays might really want Samardzija not only to bolster their pitching staff, but to hurt a team that could compete with them for a wildcard spot. Trading only single A or double A prospects to the Sox would be a double whammy for the Blue Jays. It's a tough road to the playoffs, but nonetheless I don't think you can realistically abandon hope, no matter how little there might be, for unknown quantities. The Sox know this, and probably are (and should be ) demanding ML ready, or current ML talent in return. At this point, it is anybodies guess as to who would get traded.

The Boston series is big, but I don't know if it is big enough for the Sox mindset to switch to trading for prospects if they lose. There would still be hope, because the 2nd wildcard has made contenders out of almost everyone. Trading our 2nd best starting pitcher kills that hope, and I don't know that hope is worth killing unless it is for an absolute blue chip prospect.

As far as hope goes, I still don't have very much. The Sox can keep Samardzija. And sure, they could go on a hell of a run. Make a wildcard. Hell, they could even win the wildcard game. But the road to the World Series is going to go through Kansas City for us. And the Sox have shown that they cannot keep up with the Royals. .... But it would be fun to get there, wouldn't it?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)

Nothing has changed.

Dominated? Did you watch the games? They should have won the last game vs. STL which would have given them 3 out of 4 on the season . They were 1-3 vs. kC and could have been 3-1.

This post with your Michael Saunders post is really making you appear not in reality. The White Sox have beaten good teams this year. Just because they beat a bad team, and the first bad team they played after 19 straight series vs teams above .500, should be heald agsinst them. They, despite all their probkems are .500 the last 92 games. Thye are pitching, they have been catching, and perhaps they can start hitting. The hitting may be a few game thing, but if they do well in Boston, unfortunately for you, they will have a shot.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)

They should've played better earlier. Hahn has to do what's right. Trading Shark is that.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
This team has gone on a few runs like these before, always to give it all back in the next week. Unless they go 6-1 this week, we're still sellers.

The deadline is Friday at 3. They only have four games to work with.

If they split with Boston, I still trade Samardzija if the deal is right. 3 out of 4, I'd stand pat. It's that close of a line.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 07:35 AM)
The deadline is Friday at 3. They only have four games to work with.

If they split with Boston, I still trade Samardzija if the deal is right. 3 out of 4, I'd stand pat. It's that close of a line.

Even though it's hard to buy into this team, I agree, especially when you consider the loss column. You need Minnesota to lose, but you don't have to rely too much on the other teams losing if you win because the losses pretty equal. Jumping teams isn't that complicated of a task in that situation.

Edited by Dick Allen