Blue Jays interested in Quintana or Samardjiza

southsider2k5

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
FWIW, Heyman, Rosenthal, Bowden and O'Dowd just got done discussing Shark, none think he'll be traded, not with the recent surge.

Hopefully Hahn is just using this idea as leverage in making a deal.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
FWIW, Heyman, Rosenthal, Bowden and O'Dowd just got done discussing Shark, none think he'll be traded, not with the recent surge.

Losing 7 out of 10 in August and Sox will kick themselves in the ass for holding on to Shark. We just lost 5 of 6 last home stand when playing good teams.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Losing 7 out of 10 in August and Sox will kick themselves in the ass for holding on to Shark.

Not really, because in your scenario they either 1) Re-sign him with the leverage of the comp pick or 2) Receive aforementioned comp pick. Maybe not as sexy as getting top prospects right now but not terrible either way.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
This team can't stand pat. Either sell Shark. Or go get Puig or possibly CarGo. They need a bat in the worst way.

Yes they can stand pat. And it's probably the right move.

They have a chance, but it's small and it's for a 1 game wildcard. That's not enough to "go for it" but it is enough to keep Shark and take the comp pick v. the returns.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)

They have a chance, but it's small and it's for a 1 game wildcard. That's not enough to "go for it" but it is enough to keep Shark and take the comp pick v. the returns.

Unless the returns are great, I tend to follow this line of thought. From all talk, big returns are for hitters, or pitchers with longer control. We are dealing neither. Unless the return is greater than what we can gain from say the #30 pick in the draft (including the chance at going underslot to bring in more players later) you don't make a deal.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Losing 7 out of 10 in August and Sox will kick themselves in the ass for holding on to Shark. We just lost 5 of 6 last home stand when playing good teams.

They'd never admit it. Us fans will, though. Although the excuse is probably going to be, "we weren't going to get much for him anyways." I hope we find out what was offered for Shark if the White Sox decide to keep him for the remainder of the year. It'll be fun to see what we dismissed under the possibility that we can make the playoffs

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
Not really, because in your scenario they either 1) Re-sign him with the leverage of the comp pick or 2) Receive aforementioned comp pick. Maybe not as sexy as getting top prospects right now but not terrible either way.

Comp pick is a total crapshoot not that great a value to me just to hang on to Shark.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)

It's 100% the wrong move. If you think your team really has a shot then make that decision and add a bat. If you don't think this team has a shot then sell him. Standing pat is just silly when it's clear your team has holes you could fill.

If your GM isn't bold enough to make a decision, then hire me for his salary. I'll make one and if it's wrong you can fire me. At least I'll have made a decision. If you're paid that much to make decisions your decision better be "something".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
It's 100% the wrong move. If you think your team really has a shot then make that decision and add a bat. If you don't think this team has a shot then sell him. Standing pat is just silly when it's clear your team has holes you could fill.

If your GM isn't bold enough to make a decision, then hire me for his salary. I'll make one and if it's wrong you can fire me. At least I'll have made a decision. If you're paid that much to make decisions your decision better be "something".

Well said

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)

We just have no business standing pat. We have numerous holes. If you're keeping Shark go get a bat.

Since he is starting tonight, there's no need to trade him until 31st now. The White Sox are probably unsure of their direction (due to their recent hot streak). Whether that's a good thing or not is probably a bigger question than whether they should trade Samardijia.

A shark package for Puig is a great deal. It allows the sox to legitimately contend for a playoff spot and improve the teams offense for a number of years. The best thing I think would be to keep shark and trade for CarGo or Puig. The problem with standing pat is that we justhave way to many holes to make a legitimate run at the playoffs. We need a bat and really our best options are CarGo and Puig. We need to make things happen this bc we really have a shot. Next year we will be a worse team unless we resign Shark and add two or three bats. We have a shot this year and really need to take advantage of that

Edited by Condor13

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)

Depends what the market is. If were just getting offered very low level prospects for shark, and the draft pick has a better chance of turning up a better prospect, then don't trade Shark.

I also don't advocate giving up a ton for a rental bat. So maybe just ride out the squad. Maybe look at a waiver bat.

But he should make some internal moves that can be made.