Official Buyers Thread

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
San Diego looking to save some money. Kemp plus cash (LAD paying 3+ per year) SD pays additional 8 mill in 2017 and 18 and takes Danks. Danks due 15 million plus next year makes up difference for rest of this year and 2016. Danks could succeed in that ball park. Kemp doesn't really have split differential plays right. Avi platoons at dh with La Roche. Johnson comes up from AAA to take Danks spot.

We don't lose any prospects and last years of Kemp may not be pretty but if our cost is 10 per not bad. Last couple years could even be lhp dh after LaRoche gone

I like the thinking to get someone on the cheap...but his OPS is a miserly .713 and his D is pretty bad these days.

I saw a suggestion for a flip of Ethier + cash for Danks. Same kind of deal (Ethier having a better year, but been bad since June).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
I like the thinking to get someone on the cheap...but his OPS is a miserly .713 and his D is pretty bad these days.

I saw a suggestion for a flip of Ethier + cash for Danks. Same kind of deal (Ethier having a better year, but been bad since June).

I would be okay with a Danks and Either/Crawford swap. Do you think Boston is looking to get rid of Panda or Hanley and if so any interest?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
He's one of the best pitch framers in the game, I assume that's why he starts so often.

Pitch framing wasn't even a thing until a few years ago. It means almost nothing. It's all about who is pitching to you and the pitchers rep with umps for throwing strikes. When pitchers reps and the inconsistency of umps calling balls and strikes is taken into consideration pitch framing just doesn't stack up as viable. Just because its a sabr-stat doesn't mean it should automatically be trusted as a "thing".

Flowers is huge for a catcher and I hardly ever see him handle a ball in the dirt flawlessly. He can block some but is high on the list of passed balls allowed which to me is more reliable than pitch framing.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)

Kemp raking right now(OPS>1.0 last 28 days) while Eithier not and Either has a .568 OPS vs LHP. I preferred Eithier's contract but did not want to get into a need to platoon.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Pitch framing wasn't even a thing until a few years ago. It means almost nothing. It's all about who is pitching to you and the pitchers rep with umps for throwing strikes. When pitchers reps and the inconsistency of umps calling balls and strikes is taken into consideration pitch framing just doesn't stack up as viable. Just because its a sabr-stat doesn't mean it should automatically be trusted as a "thing".

Flowers is huge for a catcher and I hardly ever see him handle a ball in the dirt flawlessly. He can block some but is high on the list of passed balls allowed which to me is more reliable than pitch framing.

I'm with you on pitch framing it's so hard to parse out exactly who is getting the benefit of the doubt (the catcher or the pitcher) and I get that Flowers grades out 5th this year but he's never been higher than top 1/3 in previous years and FFS how many extra strikes to you have to pull to make up for a wRC+ of 56 and awful throwing?

Flowers is literally the definition of replacement level. If he wasn't friends with Sale and an ORG favorite (grindy white catcher) he'd probably already be gone.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
San Diego looking to save some money. Kemp plus cash (LAD paying 3+ per year) SD pays additional 8 mill in 2017 and 18 and takes Danks. Danks due 15 million plus next year makes up difference for rest of this year and 2016. Danks could succeed in that ball park. Kemp doesn't really have split differential plays right. Avi platoons at dh with La Roche. Johnson comes up from AAA to take Danks spot.

We don't lose any prospects and last years of Kemp may not be pretty but if our cost is 10 per not bad. Last couple years could even be lhp dh after LaRoche gone

This is an amazing idea.

We unload Danks, let EJ replace him (and he would be better by default), and get Kemp to improve the offense.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Usually that means a blockbuster is about to go down right?

This or they are trying to make a blockbuster move that might not turn out. Hawk will let us know after the fact that there was a huge move that almost happened.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 1m1 minute ago

Bob Nightengale retweeted Chuck Garfien

The #Whitesox now plan to be buyers, looking for a bat

Nightengale, usually well connected to the Sox, confirms report that they are buyers now.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)

Nightengale, usually well connected to the Sox, confirms report that they are buyers now.

this is BIG..l of any of the national guys, Nightengale always seems to have the first (and best) leads on the Sox

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
I'm with you on pitch framing it's so hard to parse out exactly who is getting the benefit of the doubt (the catcher or the pitcher) and I get that Flowers grades out 5th this year but he's never been higher than top 1/3 in previous years and FFS how many extra strikes to you have to pull to make up for a wRC+ of 56 and awful throwing?

Flowers is literally the definition of replacement level. If he wasn't friends with Sale and an ORG favorite (grindy white catcher) he'd probably already be gone.

Yep . When Greg Maddux was pitching and umps would call strike after strike because he was always around the plate how many times do you think his catcher was credited was being able to handle those near miss pitches and turn them into strikes.

If I wanted to spend the time I'd look at the teams with the most walks and see how many of their catchers have a good pitch framing rating and do the same with the teams with the least walks just to prove my point. But I will let those who keep using it as a viable tool do that to try and disprove me.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
Yep . When Greg Maddux was pitching and umps would call strike after strike because he was always around the plate how many times do you think his catcher was credited was being able to handle those near miss pitches and turn them into strikes.

If I wanted to spend the time I'd look at the teams with the most walks and see how many of their catchers have a good pitch framing rating and do the same with the teams with the least walks just to prove my point. But I will let those who keep using it as a viable tool do that to try and disprove me.

Maddu'x personal catcher had a really long career. Eddie Perez had a nice career thanks to Maddux.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)

Very true Nightengale is one guy that reports truth, he's one of the few that doesn't try to get the scoop but rather get it right. He's usaully always has a scoop for the sox and usually pretty accurate

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
Very true Nightengale is one guy that reports truth, he's one of the few that doesn't try to get the scoop but rather get it right. He's usaully always has a scoop for the sox and usually pretty accurate

Definitely, super encouraging. Hopefully one of the Carloses.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Hopefully it's not a rental and we can ship Avi off instead of high end prospects.

I really hope we don't give up Avi right now, I really think the kid is going to be good. And I really doubt the FO trades him they are really high on him as they should be. We just knit pick too much, and it's unfair to Avi at 23-24 in his first full year. There will be growing pains.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
What about the Sox buying low on Julio Teheran?

He's a wreck this season, but he's shown flashes of being good in the past and Coop could probably fix him.

Not to mention that he's young and cost controlled.

That would be a great buy low option.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
I really hope we don't give up Avi right now, I really think the kid is going to be good. And I really doubt the FO trades him they are really high on him as they should be. We just knit pick too much, and it's unfair to Avi at 23-24 in his first full year. There will be growing pains.

His issue is that he is a terrible defender and has an even worse approach at the plate. If his issue looked like him trying to adjust to major league pitching as opposed to him hacking at every s***ty pitch thrown a foot off the plate I'd have hope. IMO he is never going to amount to more than a .270/.310/.400 guy at his best.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
Good news indeed even though Sox fans already knew. The Sox have a trade history with Oakland and Reddick's bat/glove would be a perfect fit for what the Sox are looking for. Come on Rick, make it happen!

It would be cool if they could snag Lawrie and Reddick, shift Saladino to 1st as heir apparent to SS next season and dump LaRoche somewhere.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
His issue is that he is a terrible defender and has an even worse approach at the plate. If his issue looked like him trying to adjust to major league pitching as opposed to him hacking at every s***ty pitch thrown a foot off the plate I'd have hope. IMO he is never going to amount to more than a .270/.310/.400 guy at his best.

I agree but most people at that age have the same issues but get the time to iron them out in the Minors. Avi hasn't had that opportunityand that says something about his talent and potential. He has to learn on the fly in the bigs not easy to do. But I still think he's doing well enough, he's batting .250-.270 I'll take that in his first full year. The defense bothers me more than the ugly swings. But all that can be fixed through playing or a stint in the minors. Trading him at this point is not, but that's just my opinion.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
I agree but most people at that age have the same issues but get the time to iron them out in the Minors. Avi hasn't had that opportunityand that says something about his talent and potential. He has to learn on the fly in the bigs not easy to do. But I still think he's doing well enough, he's batting .250-.270 I'll take that in his first full year. The defense bothers me more than the ugly swings. But all that can be fixed through playing or a stint in the minors. Trading him at this point is not, but that's just my opinion.

The thing is he was hitting in the high .300's in AAA. He can succeed with his approach against lesser talent, so sending him down doesn't help. When a 24 year old can't catch up to a 94 mph fastball and swings at pitches that far out of the zone I worry.

Edited by Knackattack