Official Buyers Thread

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:03 AM)
The Guillens were the obvious source of the White Sox leaks. Ever since they left, you barely hear anything out of the Sox camp, which pretty well confirms that. We won't know anything about the Sox unless the other team puts it out there. The best you can hope is to read between the lines of what the beat writers are being fed to say.

Ozzie Jr was a major source for many of the beat writers.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man at this point I wouldn't mind having a Guillen running his mouth so at least we had a smidge of an idea about what the brain trust is thinking about the approaching deadline. This board needs it, just something to signal what our plans may be or a name we are looking into. Right now it's nothing but crickets, and our waste of space beat writers haven't had a scoop in years. For selfish reasons I really wish someone would slip and tell us what the thinking is.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
Man at this point I wouldn't mind having a Guillen running his mouth so at least we had a smidge of an idea about what the brain trust is thinking about the approaching deadline. This board needs it, just something to signal what our plans may be or a name we are looking into. Right now it's nothing but crickets, and our waste of space beat writers haven't had a scoop in years. For selfish reasons I really wish someone would slip and tell us what the thinking is.

We know were not sellers. That much is definite. I know they're working the phones for a bat. They have to be.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)

The Sox could care less about what fans are thinking about trade rumors, as well they should.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
The Sox could care less about what fans are thinking about trade rumors, as well they should.

I agree only selfishly I want to know, I just hope the lack of info isn't related to a lack of activity on our end. I guess I'm just hoping for some excitement from us before 3PM Friday.

I hope I'm wrong but my gut feeling is that they don't do anything. I think we need a bat to replace one of LaRoche/Garcia but I just don't know how you get a significant bat without depleting a growing farm system that they'll need to compete in the future.

However, if they do pull it off and get someone to slot behind Abreu, our lineup really becomes something to reckon with and in combination with our pitching we'd have a very dangerous team.

Edited by Sockin

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
Watching MLB network and they just talked to Morisi who said he thinks we are buyers, obviously but what is interesting is he thinks we buy another SP. The names he mentioned were Ian Kennedy from SD or Mike Leake from Cincy. No mention of a bat at all.

Hmm... They must be looking to shed Danks then. I want a bat more than a starter. Me personally, I'd go get a RHP 8th inning arm to add to this pen and a bat.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Watching MLB network and they just talked to Morisi who said he thinks we are buyers, obviously but what is interesting is he thinks we buy another SP. The names he mentioned were Ian Kennedy from SD or Mike Leake from Cincy. No mention of a bat at all.

Sounds like Morosi has it back asswards.

I really have no clue what the White Sox plan on doing at the deadline? Adding a lefty bat between Melky and Abreu would be awesome heading into the final stretch. I'm assuming that is what they are looking for? CarGo is just as hot as Melky right now. In all honesty, what do you guys think it would cost to get him? We are no position to trade our top prospects.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)
I really have no clue what the White Sox plan on doing at the deadline? Adding a lefty bat between Melky and Abreu would be awesome heading into the final stretch. I'm assuming that is what they are looking for? CarGo is just as hot as Melky right now. In all honesty, what do you guys think it would cost to get him? We are no position to trade our top prospects.

It wouldn't take someone like Anderson. I could see them asking for someone like Danish + May though.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)

Another SP wouldn't hurt, but why? EJ could likely give you what Leake or Kennedy could (or slightly less, but at the league minimum and giving up no assets to get him). A bat is what this team needs.

I am also fine leaving the bullpen as is.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)

Leake and Bruce?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Another SP wouldn't hurt, but why? EJ could likely give you what Leake or Kennedy could (or slightly less, but at the league minimum and giving up no assets to get him). A bat is what this team needs.

I am also fine leaving the bullpen as is.

but EJ is still an uncertainty while the others have a est mlb stat.

imo

Even Phil Rogers think Morosi has it backwards. I'm not saying Rogers knows it all but at least he understands this team.

@philgrogers: @jonmorosi says White Sox could add a rental SP. Bigger need is best bat available (Cespedes?) Their DHs are last in AL w/.680 OPS, 35 RBIs.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
So is Pierzynski coming back a realistic move?

If so, I'd LOVE IT!

He is on the market and we have a history of him. Technically he's a great platoon fit with one of our other catchers. He also brings a nice presence with him. I'd say it probably is, but I can't see the Sox just dropping one of Flowers / Soto and I also don't see us carrying 3 catchers (unless they plan on DH'ing Soto a bit in a platoon with LaRoche)?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
He is on the market and we have a history of him. Technically he's a great platoon fit with one of our other catchers. He also brings a nice presence with him. I'd say it probably is, but I can't see the Sox just dropping one of Flowers / Soto and I also don't see us carrying 3 catchers (unless they plan on DH'ing Soto a bit in a platoon with LaRoche)?

I'd drop Flowers honestly. Soto can hit at the very least and his defense is ok. Flowers isn't particularly good at anything besides being Sale's personal catcher.