Official Buyers Thread

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
Montas,Danks and a filler? I dont see why they would. Especially with speculation on where Montas is going to end up.

Montas is ranked just slightly lower than Hoffman on the MLB top 100 prospect list and Cargo is far less valuable than Tulo.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought Hoffman would be a great return for Samardzija, but I've read a couple of guys who are pretty down on him. There is no way I would give up Montas for CarGo. That move has people complaining about KW for years written all over it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
I always thought Hoffman would be a great return for Samardzija, but I've read a couple of guys who are pretty down on him. There is no way I would give up Montas for CarGo. That move has people complaining about KW for years written all over it.

I think the Rockies would take a lesser prospect for CarGo, but maybe not. If I'm the Sox, I don't think I'm trading Montas (I like his upside too much) but if their scouts long-term see him as a reliever and they buy into CarGo and you can free Danks payroll, then I could at the very least see the logic in it. Personally I just think playing with these talented guys with high contracts (who aren't playing up to them) is a slippery slope. Add in the adjustment from the NL (and Coors) and it just seems like the chance of it blowing up in your face is too great.

Plus, if it did blow up in your face, that contract does actually do a lot more to cripple you long-term then what we did with LaRoche.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
I think the Rockies would take a lesser prospect for CarGo, but maybe not. If I'm the Sox, I don't think I'm trading Montas (I like his upside too much) but if their scouts long-term see him as a reliever and they buy into CarGo and you can free Danks payroll, then I could at the very least see the logic in it. Personally I just think playing with these talented guys with high contracts (who aren't playing up to them) is a slippery slope. Add in the adjustment from the NL (and Coors) and it just seems like the chance of it blowing up in your face is too great.

Plus, if it did blow up in your face, that contract does actually do a lot more to cripple you long-term then what we did with LaRoche.

I believe the Rockies would take a lesser prospect than that if they didn't accommodate the other team in salary relief. I don't know that they'd take much less than that if they still had to absorb $20 million or so.

What about Matt Kemp? Padres are selling and Kemp, after a slow start, has had a torrid July and seems to be getting comfortable. We know he isn't the greatest defensively, but presuming you get the cash that the Dodgers sent, his contract is no longer an albatross and he'd be a major offensive upgrade. Kenny has had interest in the past and Kenny always gets his guy.

To be frank, I could more easily swallow a Kemp move then some of the other names (given his contract after the Dodgers ate all that payroll).

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
Montas is ranked just slightly lower than Hoffman on the MLB top 100 prospect list and Cargo is far less valuable than Tulo.

Let's revisit that in about 3 years...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
What about Matt Kemp? Padres are selling and Kemp, after a slow start, has had a torrid July and seems to be getting comfortable. We know he isn't the greatest defensively, but presuming you get the cash that the Dodgers sent, his contract is no longer an albatross and he'd be a major offensive upgrade. Kenny has had interest in the past and Kenny always gets his guy.

To be frank, I could more easily swallow a Kemp move then some of the other names (given his contract after the Dodgers ate all that payroll).

Kemp and CarGo are almost at the opposite end of the ball park spectrum. One hits in a hitter's heaven, the other one hits in a pitcher's heaven. The weird thing is that Kemp's been hitting far better at Petco than on the road.

I wouldn't be that opposed to Kemp if CarGo isn't available or is too expensive, but do keep in mind that Kemp's wOBA is like 9 points higher than Avi's and neither are great defenders.

Could the Sox get Rusney Castillo as a buy-low candidate? I don't know that he helps us this year, but he has some talent. No idea why Red Sox would do it, but hell, if I'm going to throw out names, why not throw out some guys who might have some upside.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
Kemp and CarGo are almost at the opposite end of the ball park spectrum. One hits in a hitter's heaven, the other one hits in a pitcher's heaven. The weird thing is that Kemp's been hitting far better at Petco than on the road.

I wouldn't be that opposed to Kemp if CarGo isn't available or is too expensive, but do keep in mind that Kemp's wOBA is like 9 points higher than Avi's and neither are great defenders.

Kemp has posted an OPS+ > 100 every year but his rookie year. 5 times he has posted an OPS+ > 120. 3 times he has posted an OPS+ > 135. Let me know when Avi has done any of those things once. Kemp is also looking much more like a guy who is getting comfortable (and he seems to be trending positively from a health perspective). He also has posted a positive WAR every year in his career, with an average WAR of just over 3 in his 10 career seasons. His per game WAR looks even better (given his injuries).

It is disrespectful to compare Avi and Matt Kemp's current production. If you are talking Avi, you have to be projecting him and I struggle how well you can project him given how bad he is defensively and I don't know with his patience if he'll be able to hit enough to overcome that. Kemp on the other hand, has proven, that he can absolutely carry a line-up when he's rolling and has done so for full season stretches.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Check this 3 team trade out....

Sox-Dodgers-A's.

Sox acquire C Stephen Vogt (lefty to pair with Soto).

Dodgers acquire Jeff Samardzija

Athletics acquire prospects from Dodgers.

So for the Sox, it's a swap of Shark for Vogt.

Shouldn't you be in the draft pick thread?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
That likely means in order to get him we'd have to trade a prospect I'd be unwilling to give up. Pass.

Yeah, not gonna happen. Trading for CarGo is attractive because of a perceived low price. (Compare that to Jay Bruce — the Reds asked for Zach Wheeler from the Mets.) I think it's just posturing on the Rockies end anyway. If they're offered anything halfway decent I think they'd take it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
Kemp has posted an OPS+ > 100 every year but his rookie year. 5 times he has posted an OPS+ > 120. 3 times he has posted an OPS+ > 135. Let me know when Avi has done any of those things once. Kemp is also looking much more like a guy who is getting comfortable (and he seems to be trending positively from a health perspective). He also has posted a positive WAR every year in his career, with an average WAR of just over 3 in his 10 career seasons. His per game WAR looks even better (given his injuries).

It is disrespectful to compare Avi and Matt Kemp's current production. If you are talking Avi, you have to be projecting him and I struggle how well you can project him given how bad he is defensively and I don't know with his patience if he'll be able to hit enough to overcome that. Kemp on the other hand, has proven, that he can absolutely carry a line-up when he's rolling and has done so for full season stretches.

No question Kemp has raked before, the question is will he rake with the Sox? We have enough hitters with consistency issues and consistency is one of Kemp's biggest flaws.

And I'm just looking at the numbers this year, really. There is no comparison between Garcia and Kemp looking back at past seasons. But offensively, they're not so far apart this year. Kemp had an absolutely awful month that really dragged his numbers down and he's hitting again though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
No question Kemp has raked before, the question is will he rake with the Sox? We have enough hitters with consistency issues and consistency is one of Kemp's biggest flaws.

And I'm just looking at the numbers this year, really. There is no comparison between Garcia and Kemp looking back at past seasons. But offensively, they're not so far apart this year. Kemp had an absolutely awful month that really dragged his numbers down and he's hitting again though.

Offensively, they are far apart though. I don't live in a vacuum and with Kemp I have a track record and a recent trend of him mashing (which is in line with his historical norms). I also have the whole park adjusted thing too...cause even if you were equally as good offensively, playing in Petco vs. the Cell is a definite drag on your offensive production.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Offensively, they are far apart though. I don't live in a vacuum and with Kemp I have a track record and a recent trend of him mashing (which is in line with his historical norms). I also have the whole park adjusted thing too...cause even if you were equally as good offensively, playing in Petco vs. the Cell is a definite drag on your offensive production.

There's a ~10 point difference in their wRC+, not big enough of a difference to take on Kemp's contract IMO.

And like I said, he's hit well at Petco for some odd reason.

In terms of Kemp's contract, Dodgers sent over 32M, so if you evened it out (I understand his contract isn't linear and it does escalate) it would average out to 15M per year for Kemp. Presuming you keep him at the price, you have 4 more years of Kemp @ 15M per season and I don't think you have to give up anything to get him (Pads would clearly have to send enough cash to get it to wash out that way). I might be wrong though and Pads might be better served letting him finish out the season and then evaluating where they see themselves.

Yeah if the price for him is really as low as a fringe prospect or two, I don't see why San Diego would let him go for that. $15 million a year for a guy who can potential put up 5 WAR is a bargain. I'd rather let that ride out if I'm going to get nothing in return at the deadline.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
Kemp is in the conversation of worst fielder in baseball. He is one guy who might not be an improvement over Avi

I agree he sucks defensively but so does Avi. By the way, I'm not saying I necessarily make the deal (cause $15M /yr for Kemp is still a lot), but I could see Kenny looking that direction (doubt Hahn would).

It's amusing that for the last week the talk about the White Sox has been as if Rick Hahn didn't even exist.

Like he's lower than Jed Hoyer now and there's no pretending he's calling the shots anymore.

All of these NL names like Puig, CarGo, Bruce, Kemp, Carlos Gomez keep coming up...isn't there an AL version of those names?

Still think if you're going to take the risk of hamstringing our future payrolls you need to find players who can defend as well as hit...there's not thing worse than a bad contract on a veteran (see Hanley Ramirez) who can't at least offset his hitting with solid defense.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
It's amusing that for the last week the talk about the White Sox has been as if Rick Hahn didn't even exist.

Like he's lower than Jed Hoyer now and there's no pretending he's calling the shots anymore.

All of these NL names like Puig, CarGo, Bruce, Kemp, Carlos Gomez keep coming up...isn't there an AL version of those names?

Still think if you're going to take the risk of hamstringing our future payrolls you need to find players who can defend as well as hit...there's not thing worse than a bad contract on a veteran (see Hanley Ramirez) who can't at least offset his hitting with solid defense.

Cespedes from Detroit in a three way deal maybe like the Peavy one. I've thrown out Chris Davis as another name maybe even Nelson Cruz if Seattle eats his contract.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)

Josh Reddick comes to mind. In general there aren't as many because of how many AL teams are still in the race.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
Josh Reddick comes to mind. In general there aren't as many because of how many AL teams are still in the race.

Reddick would be a good get. At least you get one more year of control out of him and he clearly would be a massive upgrade. I also presume he'd be pretty expensive.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
Reddick would be a good get. At least you get one more year of control out of him and he clearly would be a massive upgrade. I also presume he'd be pretty expensive.

Yeah you'd really have to be going for it to go after him. He'd take a package a step above Bruce's and two steps above Cargo's.