Official Buyers Thread

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:43 AM)
the sox FO has said this is a 3-yr plan.... i say stay the course, no matter how tempting it is to make the playoff. to acquire the pieces to fix this team, at least for a temp fix, the team will loose assets. valuable assets that will leave this farm with a hole. this is a tempting position to be in. but a dangerous one.

too bad, the sox never finished the rebuilding in the off season.......

now don't get me wrong, if the sox proves me wrong.... i would be ecstatic and i will cheer hard for a victory in the playoff.

"3-year plan" is just a buzz term really. The Sox want to compete next year and will have to acquire players to improve the team at some point (for this year, next year or the year after) no matter what. Pitching and middle infield are spots that can be improved from within — but OF and 3B help will have to be imported from elsewhere. The appeal of CarGo is a good player in his prime years on a not-completely-unreasonable contract (compared to what others will get) that won't cost a ton of prospects. I honestly have no idea how the Sox will fill the hole at 3B besides crossing their fingers that Trey becomes an everyday player in a couple of years.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 07:52 AM)
Right now, being that the overwhelming odds are against the White Sox winning the division, they shouldn't be sending away top prospects for bats unless those bats are going to be around for a while.

I am not a big fan of CarGo. Of course he is hot right now, but he will cool off, and as was stated above, if you don't like LaRoche vs. LHP, you aren't going to like CarGo. Only take CarGo if you give up no top 7 or 8 prospects. For some reason, I don't think the Rockies would go for that.

Agree 100%

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
*starts Jay Bruce chant*

Prefer him to Cargo, but same issue really: Sox aren't in a position to trade top prospects and neither he nor Cargo are worth top prospects.

Edited by GreenSox

I'm not giving away Erik Johnson at this point, it appears he figure it out and we will need a RHP to replace Shark after this season. I say ride it out with this lineup if you want to contend, if you want to sell, sell now.

Things still have to get better, or at least stay the same, for the Sox in the next 36 hours.

If after tomorrow, it's:

Min 54-47

Sox 48-52

...and a couple other teams still ahead of the Sox with more favorable remaining schedules...I'd still trade Samardzija.

I said a long time ago the Sox need to be at least 49-51 after 100. They still need to do that.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Things still have to get better, or at least stay the same, for the Sox in the next 36 hours.

If after tomorrow, it's:

Min 54-47

Sox 48-52

...and a couple other teams still ahead of the Sox with more favorable remaining schedules...I'd still trade Samardzija.

I said a long time ago the Sox need to be at least 49-51 after 100. They still need to do that.

I think at least we'll split tonight and tomorrow.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
I'm not giving away Erik Johnson at this point, it appears he figure it out and we will need a RHP to replace Shark after this season. I say ride it out with this lineup if you want to contend, if you want to sell, sell now.

Rock, are they trying to get a bat like Puig or CarGo?

I know fans often overrate the value of their own players/prospects, but reading this thread a lot of posters are criminally undervaluing our top prospects (Adams AND Montas for Cargo? Get out).

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)

Rock -- you hearing anything in regards to us actually pursuing a bat to improve the offense to try and make a run? or what you hearing is either they sell off or stand pat.. but wont be adding anything to make a run? Def a hard place for Hahn and KW to be in right now

I would love for us to add another bat before Friday, specifically either Puig or Cespedes. But the more I think about it the more I think we stand pat ride it out with the team assembled. If anything I can see a small move, something reminiscent of a Geoff Blum addition. But I truly don't think we're going to do much from now until Friday. It is eriely quiet

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:20 AM)
If Shark stays then here is what I would do. Also, I would not be mad if White Sox traded him for a quality return if they feel they can't win a wild card.

1. Put Danks into the pen. Bring up Erik Johnson. If you go for it you should bring up your best players. EJ is probably an upgrade over Danks at this point. They should not DFA Danks just in case Johnson has a similar problem adjusting like 2014.

2. I would do this trade. Spencer Adams, Montas and Garcia for Cargo. I know most people think this is a ton but they also overvalue their own prospects as well. Montas is probably a future closer. It remains to be seen if he will develop the command to pitch in the majors. Adams is the hard piece to let go as he could be a future number 2 in a rotation. That future still is a ways off and things can happen in the few years. The truth is you have 3 pitchers who you plan to have till 2019. If the plan is to sign Shark long term than that leaves one rotation spot. The White Sox would figure to put both Fullmer and Johnson ahead of Montas or Spencer at this point. I would miss Spencer but I just don't see them doing a deal without him in it. Gonzalez would give the Sox something that have not had in awhile which is a left handed bat that can be in the middle of the order. The fact is this team still has a lack of quality position players both on the current roster and minor leagues.

3. I love Carlos Sanchez as I think he really does give you a major league at bat. I believe he could hit .300 one day and is a solid defender. I would consider bringing up Micah but only if you saw positive improvement on the defensive end.

4. Just a general comment. This team will not go anywhere unless Alexi improves his play.

These two are outdated to be honest.

Sanchez has been hitting, and has a 10 game hitting streak. He has a positive WAR on the season (0.4) and a nice dWAR for not having been on the team all season long at 0.6. Over the last month Sanchez has seen his batting average go up 63 points, his slugging go up 152 points, and his OBP go up 99 points. Those numbers look even more amazing if you trace back to Sanchez's lowest parts of the season.

Alexei has been hitting recently, and has looked like his old self in the field, probably for at least a month now. To put it another way, his dWAR which had bottomed out at -1.5, is now at a positive 0.3. That means he has had a 1.8 dWAR over a relatively short period of time. That 1.8 number would match his defensive seasons of 2013 and 2014, combined. He has even pushed his overall WAR to a positive 0.1 for the entire season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)

I love how I always read your posts 2-3 times very carefully to see if there are any hints about a potential trade :lol: