Carlos Gomez

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
Puig is a young impact bat. Carlos is 30 and not putting up great numbers.

Ok again he is 29 not 30 until he is 30 which is December . His offense plus his defense is a huge upgrade and since we would have him next year too (when he actually is 30)he could return to his mid .800 OPS days of 2013 and 2014.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
I love when people rip KW for trading prospects for veterans, even admitting the prospects for the most part weren't very good, but still insisting it has destroyed the franchise, get a thread going like this. Advocating more KW-type moves. If they were wrong before,(which I don't believe) they are wrong now.

Unless you are telling me who the specific people are who are advocating for both sides, it isn't really that impressive. This is a message board made up of lots of different people. Some feel we should buy, some feel sell, and others still want to hold pat. Picking an opinion out and trying to assign it to "people" as if all of Soxtalk is of one opinion, and playing both sides of the fence is disingenuous at best.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
People arguing Gomez over CarGo are nuts lol. When healthy CarGo is a superstar. Gomez is not.

Gomez was worth 7.5 fWAR in 2013 and 5.7 fWAR in 2014 (8.5 and 4.8 if you go by bWAR). Only year Gonzalez has matched that was 2010 (5.8), Gomez is better.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
When healthy CarGo is a superstar.

.753 OPS away from Coors Field.

Superstar?

And Gomez is not having a good year.

People want to pay the price for Gomez at his 2013-2014 value, ignoring 2015 and 2007-2011.

The price to pay for either of these guys is 2 years of a .750 OPS. plus a little more for Gomez' defense and more favorable contract.

Edited by GreenSox

Gomez would be a great get (as long as we didn't think his hip was a issue). Huge upgrade. I think the Brewers might find themselves pinned back, but I'd start with Johnson and Avi. I highly doubt they'd be interested, but that would be where I started and then I am sure the Brewers would work their way up from their to ask for Montas. I'd rather trade Avi then Micah. I am insane cause Micah doesn't have a great glove, I just think Micah is going to be electric offensively. The type of pest you see other teams have and get frustrated with that we wish we had.

That said, the above package is far worse then the one that the Mets offered.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
People arguing Gomez over CarGo are nuts lol. When healthy CarGo is a superstar. Gomez is not.

Carlos Gomez 2013 All star and 9th in MVP voting

Carlos Gomez 2014 All star and 16th in MVP voting

Carlos Gonzalez 2o13 All star

Last 2 years history shows Carlos Gomez is closer to a superstar than Carlos Gonzalez

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
Tom ‏@Haudricourt 7m7 minutes ago

So, I'm told the nixed Carlos Gomez trade was more a financial issue than medical. Here are the details. http://bit.ly/1LZGMEp

Interesting how many stories. First it was Wheeler...then the latest I've heard is it was actually the medicals on Gomez...now financials. Crazy how at that stage of the process, the dollars would get in the way (it isn't like Gomez is owed a ton). All that said, I'm sure the Brewers are trying to get some leaks out that make it not sound like it was a medical issue with Gomez.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
Gomez would be a great get (as long as we didn't think his hip was a issue). Huge upgrade. I think the Brewers might find themselves pinned back, but I'd start with Johnson and Avi. I highly doubt they'd be interested, but that would be where I started and then I am sure the Brewers would work their way up from their to ask for Montas. I'd rather trade Avi then Micah. I am insane cause Micah doesn't have a great glove, I just think Micah is going to be electric offensively. The type of pest you see other teams have and get frustrated with that we wish we had.

That said, the above package is far worse then the one that the Mets offered.

i am not good in these mock trades.

but i like the idea of hawkins, beck and Ynoa

for

Gomez and Pena

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
I f***ing hate Carlos Gomez.

But I've still got a pipe dream where we send Avisail Garcia as a significant part of the package to get him.

That is what I'm holding out hope on. I don't want to send significant prospects to the Brewers. I could see a Avisail, Hawkins, Erik Johnson type package potentially being attractive to them.

Hey I'm good with either Car go if the price is right, Gomez though I think would be a better fit only because he is a dirt bag kind of player. He always seems to be in the middle of things like AJP used to be. The way he plays defense, has speed, and griderisms, plus the fact he plays with a razor sharp edge I would like him on this team. Ultimately I think Gonzalez is the better player but Gomez plays harder and would add more gas to a team on fire right now.

If the price is right then I'm good with either guy in reality.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Hey I'm good with either Car go if the price is right, Gomez though I think would be a better fit only because he is a dirt bag kind of player. He always seems to be in the middle of things like AJP used to be. The way he plays defense, has speed, and griderisms, plus the fact he plays with a razor sharp edge I would like him on this team. Ultimately I think Gonzalez is the better player but Gomez plays harder and would add more gas to a team on fire right now.

If the price is right then I'm good with either guy in reality.

We already have out dirt bag lol. I wonder if he'd clash with eaton.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
I'm not clueless I'm biased :lol:

Very commendable that you take harsh and insulting disagreements with such good grace :) . The prospects lovers don't like Gomez or Gonzalez so we all have our opinions .

But the turnaround really started when the defense got better way before the offense so I'd like to continue that trend.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
He might, but I think Gomez would get along great with Melky and the rest of the Latin players on the team. They all do those silly shenanigans, and I think Gomez would enjoy it here.

I agree I think he'd gel perfectly between melk and him doing their signs back to the dugout on first after a hit we'd probably get in a fight with the other team. Gomez no doubt brings an attitude on the diamond and I always wanted my team to have that. And at the very least he's gaurenteed to rob atleast one HR the rest of the way.

The only thing adding another bat is it stunts the growth of one of our younger guys. Whether it's in the INF or outfield, Avi or Sanchez or Tyler would be replaced and sit more. I worry what that would do to Avi even if he was playing the field for guys to get a day off or platooning with Laroche. That's why I don't think we add anything other than a bench piece. The FO is afraid to rock the boat with the way we've been playing.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
Yep you got it that was exactly what I was saying. This is what's wrong with our society these days I say something innocent and someone jumps down your throat will some racist or prejudice thing. All I was saying is they are similar, they are intense and like to have fun while playing. Never related it to them being Latin but clearly u did.

I agree. I didn't mean anything racist by it, I was just pointing it out. You can tell that Abreu, Alexei, Melky all have the same sort of makeup/competitiveness to them. They all happen to be Latin as well, so that's why I pointed it out. I didn't mean it in a bad way.

I'm hesitant to give up Micah. I think he's the most sure thing of an offensive player to come through our system since Beckham (yeah yeah). Perhaps odd coming from me since I'm his biggest critic on the site but I still have faith he's going to be a good player for a long long time. I wouldn't package him and another top prospect in Montas (essentially emptying the farm) for 1.25 years of a player. I would love if Montas was the focus of the package. Or Garcia. Or both.