Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
Dan O'Dowd was asked if he would give Shark $100 million. He said no because he isn't an Opening Day starter. He really might not be a #2, and in 3 or 4 years is probably a #4 or #5 at best. His reputation has always beat his actual performance. He did have a good year last year, but this year's performance shouldn't be a shock. He's been very good a lot, and horrible a lot. Not much domination, and seems to be having a tough time missing bats when he has to miss them. I think they want the draft pick and are probably very happy Samardzija wanted to test free agency no matter what. I'd be shocked if they are willing to go very high for him. And I don't think he is going to get $20 million a year for 5 or 6 years unless he goes on an unreal dominant roll the next 2 months, which appears very unlikely.

Wow I genuinely agree with you (smile). I think he's definitely pitched himself out of a $100 million deal this year, but I could still see someone pushing a James Shields like 5/$75 deal for him. $15 mil per year if he's a 3 fWAR pitcher, which is about what he's on pace to be this year isn't obviously terrible on paper and you could probably backload it a bit. If my team were pitching starved and I had money to spend (say, maybe someone like the Blue Jays this offseason? A team that could use pitching to stay competitive after a run this year) that could be a sensible move for them. The one thing he does look likely to do is eat innings, and that will help your rotation and your pen if you don't have strong starters around him.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I would drive on bye. Want nothing to do with Samardzija after this season ends.

Even after his disaster last night, he is still 13th in the AL in fWAR. Yes, there is a limit to how much the Sox should offer him, but they aren't likely to get anybody better.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
His post had absolutely nothing to do with prospect reports or administration of the website. His post said that he expected the White Sox to do the opposite of what he thinks they should do...something he says in nearly all of his posts - whether it be indirect or direct. It just gets brutal to read. The guy clearly knows baseball and advanced stats, but the negativity is just brutal to read.

He also considered Melky Cabrera a sunk cost as recently as 40 days ago or so and he is now one of the hottest hitters in the league and his slash line is now pretty much at his career averages. So his negativity has certainly cause him to lose some of his objectiveness.

I appreciate the work that the admins do too. I love reading Soxtalk, and FutureSox. That has absolutely nothing to do with constant blind negativity.

pls don't get me wrong, i like your posts.

but people do have different opinions.

either way. life is life.

I think Samardzija--at least, forgiving his last outing--has pitching really quite well this year, probably a little bit better than I expected. With that said, his drop in velocity and strikeouts makes me worried about committing a lot of money to him. I'm also not a firm believer in the "he has a young arm!" business

With the inflation of TV contracts, guys like Shark are going to start getting $20M/season. Greinke probably gets $30M+ this offseason and the QO is estimated to be about $17M. The inflation rate around player salaries is through the roof and it is only going to continue to skyrocket. You saw that last season when a guy like James Shields got the contract that he did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
One remarkable thing might be...he might have pitched so poorly overall this season that you could legitimately see his price dropping into the range where the White Sox could afford him.

Why they'd want him after this season I have no clue. But since I think it's a terrible idea, I assume the White Sox will do it.

You bring up a good point, and a rather disturbing one at that. I can only hope both sides decide it's best to part ways. It's just not a match, imo.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Even after his disaster last night, he is still 13th in the AL in fWAR. Yes, there is a limit to how much the Sox should offer him, but they aren't likely to get anybody better.

The SOX need hitters more than they need Samardzija.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
I think ChiSox59 is speaking more towards his attitude and general focus in his posts rather than them having differences in opinion.

you know more than i...

i just wanted to make a point. and at no one expense...

sorry and many thanks.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
I think Samardzija--at least, forgiving his last outing--has pitching really quite well this year, probably a little bit better than I expected. With that said, his drop in velocity and strikeouts makes me worried about committing a lot of money to him. I'm also not a firm believer in the "he has a young arm!" business

you make a good point. but this season is a screwy season. it hard to see what can be taken from it.

Projected 2018 Lineup

1. CF Adam Eaton

2. SS Tim Anderson

3. DH Jose Abreu

4. RF Avisail Garcia

5. 1B Trey Michalczewski

6. LF Courtney Hawkins

7. 3B Tyler Saladino

8. C Tyler Flowers

9. 2B Micah Johnson

Signing him to a big, long-term contract could kill our future lineup. Especially if he performs the way he has this year. I'll pass.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 10:57 PM)
offer him a QO and go after one of the corner outfield bats, Heyward, Cespedes or Upton. we stay pick neutral and depending on how this season plays out we might have another top 10 pick.

1. i like the idea of offering shark a QO.

2. look into of'ers who was not offered a QO

3. key on 2 of'ers who may or may not been offer a QO. ~ Denard Span ~~ Austin Jackson

4. look at a possible of 1 sp who was not given a QO.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
1. i like the idea of offering shark a QO.

2. look into of'ers who was not offered a QO

3. key on 2 of'ers who may or may not been offer a QO. ~ Denard Span ~~ Austin Jackson

4. look at a possible of 1 sp who was not given a QO.

Span has been on my short list. Essentially to me its Heyward and if not then go hard after Cespedes because of the lack of pick attached to him followed by Span. I agree about pitching as well in a perfect world Latos.

I would really like to see the sox look hard at the KBO; Jae-won Lee, strikes me as a intriguing option at catcher. He is 27 will be 28 at the start of next season right handed hitting catcher that also moonlights at 1B, similar profile to Jason Kendal minus the speed. Brian Cartwright a Writer/Analyst at The Hardball Times compares the KBO to AAA and this is the year he is putting up right now .301/.390/.444 - 11BB% / 15K% with 10HR in 374PA. With the recent Success of Kang and the positional scarcity of catching I could see his price tag going up a bit but not to astronomical amounts, and before we get into the "language barrier" issue just remember Kenji Johjima. Jae has been in the KBO for 9 years and I'm pretty sure he has also met the armed service requirement, He should be able to be posted or an outright FA.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:20 AM)
Span has been on my short list. Essentially to me its Heyward and if not then go hard after Cespedes because of the lack of pick attached to him followed by Span. I agree about pitching as well in a perfect world Latos.

I would really like to see the sox look hard at the KBO; Jae-won Lee, strikes me as a intriguing option at catcher. He is 27 will be 28 at the start of next season right handed hitting catcher that also moonlights at 1B, similar profile to Jason Kendal minus the speed. Brian Cartwright a Writer/Analyst at The Hardball Times compares the KBO to AAA and this is the year he is putting up right now .301/.390/.444 - 11BB% / 15K% with 10HR in 374PA. With the recent Success of Kang and the positional scarcity of catching I could see his price tag going up a bit but not to astronomical amounts, and before we get into the "language barrier" issue just remember Kenji Johjima. Jae has been in the KBO for 9 years and I'm pretty sure he has also met the armed service requirement, He should be able to be posted or an outright FA.

heyward and cespedes will be too much.... for me.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:36 AM)
Heyward will only be 26 to start the season next year and Cespedes will be 30 without a pick attached to him.

cespedes stat wise, it has been dropping since his rookie yr. this yr, it was a nice rebound, but was that b/c he concentrated this yr??

i don't trust it and esp with a yrs and salary needed to sign him.

heyward, now what will it cost to sign him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cespeyo01.shtml

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
cespedes stat wise, it has been dropping since his rookie yr. this yr, it was a nice rebound, but was that b/c he concentrated this yr??

i don't trust it and esp with a yrs and salary needed to sign him.

heyward, now what will it cost to sign him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cespeyo01.shtml

I can respect that, sox real payroll next year is close to 93M and they're at 116M this year, last time they recently eclipsed that was 2011 at 128M. Not taking into account inflation or new sports deals the sox have money. If they can put on a playoff run even more so.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 12:58 AM)
I can respect that, sox real payroll next year is close to 93M and they're at 116M this year, last time they recently eclipsed that was 2011 at 128M. Not taking into account inflation or new sports deals the sox have money. If they can put on a playoff run even more so.

i am going to new waters here. yes i firmly believe the sox have the money and the salary to compete. maybe not with the yanks, dodgers and other team like that.

but i believe it should be used wisely. spending it all on 1 player is not spending it wisely. the holes the sox needs to be address and that is what the priority should be. spread the money around.