Top 30 White Sox Prospects - Midseason 2015

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
If both Anderson and Fulmer reach their ceilings, Anderson will be better.

It will be a minuscule difference and the White Sox will be very happy.

I agree, but the odds of both making their ceilings are much more favorable for Fulmer versus Anderson.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)
If both Anderson and Fulmer reach their ceilings, Anderson will be better.

It will be a minuscule difference and the White Sox will be very happy.

interesting discussion going on with anderson and fulmer.

the main point for me is, if and and when they are establish as major league players, they will distinguish themselves.

but now, they are as close as being tied to being #1 as there is.

great point of views can be made for them both.

I think a factor in the Anderson discussion is his ultimate position. A SS with his offensive tools is a real asset as long as his defense is at least average. But if he ultimately is forced to play 2nd where you already have a few options w limitations ( Sanchez w the bat and Micah w the glove) the value drops.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
Which is why I voted Fulmer, personally.

I just can't see that argument.

Anderson, 22, hitting .309 in his 453 AA at-bats with improving defense.

Fulmer, 21, 4.50 era in very limited innings at high A/rookie.

IF Fulmer impresses at high A and then continues success at AA next year and sticks as a starter, Anderson will likely be with the Sox already.

Fulmer is only 6 months younger and well behind in production at higher levels.

But, very nice list overall, very few disagreements here.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:57 AM)

IF Fulmer impresses at high A and then continues success at AA next year and sticks as a starter, Anderson will likely be with the Sox already.

while in my opinion, this will never be fully answered, in a earlier post in this thread someone mention about the perception of players, i am paraphrasing it.

this list is all subjective and assembled by great fans and are knowledgeable group.

but my problem for yrs has be the prediction of a player and the actual production of players.

prediction vs production

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:57 AM)

interesting thing ref the bold. does it matter if he is a starter vs relief ???

if so, montas has to be question, he is not a guarantee as a starter as well. the jury is still out on him.

no offense intended.

That's the point. Anderson has a track record, even in spite of his raw of tools, and has produced at every single level. Fulmer was just drafted and we don't yet know how he will translate or what the White Sox have. What it comes down to for me is that with Rodon graduated, Anderson is the #1 prospect by default. I say that in part because his ceiling is huge even if he moves to CF (or honestly even 2B), which is a legitimate possibility. But more importantly because he's done nothing to be moved down a spot. This is his first year in AA and he is absolutely thriving; he really is. For someone that didn't do amateur showcases and was strictly a basketball player until his junior year at JC, his career thus far is remarkable. And don't get me wrong: I absolutely love Fulmer – very reasonable to think he could be a mid-rotation starter or an elite closer.

QUOTE (wsiskel @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:00 AM)
That's the point. Anderson has a track record, even in spite of his raw of tools, and has produced at every single level. Fulmer was just drafted and we don't yet know how he will translate or what the White Sox have. What it comes down to for me is that with Rodon graduated, Anderson is the #1 prospect by default. I say that in part because his ceiling is huge even if he moves to CF (or honestly even 2B), which is a legitimate possibility. But more importantly because he's done nothing to be moved down a spot. This is his first year in AA and he is absolutely thriving; he really is. For someone that didn't do amateur showcases and was strictly a basketball player until his junior year at JC, his career thus far is remarkable. And don't get me wrong: I absolutely love Fulmer – very reasonable to think he could be a mid-rotation starter or an elite closer.

nice post. this T30 i love it b/c it is more informative.

now back to your post, the way the pro's does it, performance doesn't matter. i am playing devil's advocate here.

last yr, Rodon automatically became #1 based on perception or a prediction by those who was making the list.

for me, the biggest problem will always be, that driving this indecision is, is any list based on a perception / prediction or production.

there is no easy answer and i lean on the only answer i can think of to justify any ratings and rankings.

it is all subjective. no one is right and no one is wrong.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
What Hawkins does has nothing to do with the other two. I don't understand the connection you are trying to make here.

It's caulfield

Edited by Dunt

Any opinions on Matt Heidenreich ? I know he's been in the system for a while and is old for the league he's in (A) but he's put together a nice season. Thinking that he starts next year in AA and if he puts together another solid year he gets into the top 30 . Maybe not great stuff but pretty good command ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
Any opinions on Matt Heidenreich ? I know he's been in the system for a while and is old for the league he's in (A) but he's put together a nice season. Thinking that he starts next year in AA and if he puts together another solid year he gets into the top 30 . Maybe not great stuff but pretty good command ?

Will Sox put him on the 40 man roster? If not, he's possibly gone. I bet NSS will have a thread about that in a month or two.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)

If anyone remembers, he was traded for Brett Myers. Houston released him obviously and Sox got him back.

He has done well, I could see him on the Recchia plan.

Any thoughts on Cody Winiarski? If I remember right, he was a bit of a prospect, almost died or something, then tried coming back last year and sucked. Anyways his numbers are terrific again. WHIP under 1, and the elite strikeout numbers that have been associated with him at every level. He's bit old for AA at 25 but also understandable given his pprevious injury.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
Any thoughts on Cody Winiarski? If I remember right, he was a bit of a prospect, almost died or something, then tried coming back last year and sucked. Anyways his numbers are terrific again. WHIP under 1, and the elite strikeout numbers that have been associated with him at every level. He's bit old for AA at 25 but also understandable given his pprevious injury.

Mid 90s FB and a slider, but I don't know much about the quality of the stuff. I seem to recall he may also have a splitter. He had some problem with blood vessels around his lung, had to have part of a rib removed (which he keeps in his locker now). Was good, then had the illness, came back pretty good, was released, then re-signed.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
If anyone remembers, he was traded for Brett Myers. Houston released him obviously and Sox got him back.

He has done well, I could see him on the Recchia plan.

Just was wondering if he'll have to be put on the 40 or be a minor league free agent soon .

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)

I think the illness was back in 2012. He's been healthy for 3 years now and been pitching in basically the same level since then. I will put him as one of those guys who had been a reliever since the low minor leagues and is a long shot from being anyone good in the majors.