Exclusive Interview - Nick Hostetler, new Scouting Director

NorthSideSox72

We managed to snag a pretty big fish - we interviewed recently promoted Nick Hostetler, the new Director of Amateur Scouting for the White Sox. It is unusual for us to get a one-on-one interview with someone this high up the food chain. Also, while he's been quoted around this week, I am pretty sure this is his first in-depth interview to be published since the promotion.

Here is the interview, which was done by Brian (raBBit). You should read it. Talks about what he might do differently, some players to watch, and other really great stuff.

I think our approach with using analytics towards, and it sounds elementary when I say it, but you have to put the bat on the ball. It’s a risk-reward thing but I want more contact guys in our system.

This quote really stood out to me and I say amen. Excited to have Nick on board. He says all kinds of things that get me fired up. That said, its results driven so Nick...help make this farm system great (and in turn, help make the major league team great)!!!

Great interview guys, very informative and I have a lot more confidence in him going forward after reading this. I especially liked the tidbits he shared about Zangari, Mendick & Glines, looks like the cross-checker's confidence in Zangari is starting to pay off.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

By the way, for everyone who complained that he was an inside hire, he sure spent a lot of time talking about his influences from outside of the organization. Specifically how he was influenced by some key people within the Braves organization, including current Royal's GM Dayton Moore.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Thank you everyone with the nice words.

This is an important point. He was all over the Braves organization. When Rob (southsidehitman) interviewed Rick Hahn on a conference call earlier this year, Rick Hahn said there was going to be a movement to try emulate the Braves player development team of the '90's. Then when Hostetler gets promoted he can't say enough about that organization.

We seem to be trying to pull together a dominant rotation like the 90's Braves. Now where is our Chipper Jones?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
We seem to be trying to pull together a dominant rotation like the 90's Braves. Now where is our Chipper Jones?

I think I'd be okay with this.

And yes, great job Brian (and all the FS crew). Tremendous work as usual.

Interesting no mention of Hawkins.

There were hints (contact skills, specifically mentioned Anderson but not Courtney, and the whole thing about social networking which plagued Hawkins in his second season)...one gets the idea he wouldn't have been the pick if Hostetler was running things at that time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
Interesting no mention of Hawkins.

There were hints (contact skills, specifically mentioned Anderson but not Courtney, and the whole thing about social networking which plagued Hawkins in his second season)...one gets the idea he wouldn't have been the pick if Hostetler was running things at that time.

what? He only mentioned like two pre-2015 draftees. He didn't mention virtually ANY others. I think you're reading something into it that isn't there.

It's interesting that he highlights someone like Glines, but doesnt mention someone like Zavala. In particular, he mentions Glines seems to play plus defense in CF. I wonder if there is going to be an increased focused on defense in the organization?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
It's interesting that he highlights someone like Glines, but doesnt mention someone like Zavala. In particular, he mentions Glines seems to play plus defense in CF. I wonder if there is going to be an increased focused on defense in the organization?

I again want to point out, he only mentioned a few, off hand. I wouldn't read much into who he didn't mention.

Could be true on D. Looking at 2014 and 2015 drafts, I am seeing a lot more guys who greater skills in both speed and D, or at least it seems that way.