winner, talk about it here

chitownsportsfan

The good White Sox showed up again. It sucks that this team has been so bizarre. Still only five out in the wildcard race. Obviously too many especially considering we play KC six more times. It's been talked about a lot, but Sox really have to attack this Central Division problem. Until we break the jinx against these teams we're gonna have a lot of losing baseball seasons ahead of us. I mean lets say the Sox got red hot and STILL tried to battle for the wildcard. You know we're gonna lose 4 or 5 minimum against KC in the final six and certainly we play other Central Division teams the rest of the season as well.

Until baseball wakes up and reduces the number of games against division teams from 19 to about 10 Sox are gonna have major problems.

Tonight's win: The good SOX. Sale and the bats returned.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 01:23 AM)
Sanchez 2-4 2 doubles 4 RBI .. Batting .241 . Really remarkable considering where he was. .240 barrier gone ,shooting for .250 .

Saldino 3 hits 2 RBI . Back at .255.

Flowers 2-4 3 RBI

What's scary (and, well, good I guess) is that elite glove light hitting 2B 23 year old rookie Carlos Sanchez might finish with the 5th highest wRC+ on the team. Sanchez is holding his own but goodness where the hell is the overall production.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it's obvious Carlos should have been named the opening day starter at 2B. Not only is his defense elite, he also did nothing but hit in spring. The ORG however sold the narrative of Micah and it sold them right down a historically awful defensive start.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
What's scary (and, well, good I guess) is that elite glove light hitting 2B 23 year old rookie Carlos Sanchez might finish with the 5th highest wRC+ on the team. Sanchez is holding his own but goodness where the hell is the overall production.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it's obvious Carlos should have been named the opening day starter at 2B. Not only is his defense elite, he also did nothing but hit in spring. The ORG however sold the narrative of Micah and it sold them right down a historically awful defensive start.

Excellent post. It was a very bad decision as it turned out to go with the sieve Micah over vaccuum Sanchez.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 04:47 AM)
Excellent post. It was a very bad decision as it turned out to go with the sieve Micah over vaccuum Sanchez.

Actually I think the problem was they had Saladino, Sanchez, Davidson and Johnson all needing a year in AAA but only 3 positions. Maybe the front office figured the offense was questionable coming out of the spring and so they went w the offensive option in Johnson. Or they actually thought Johnson could play in the majors at that point since they also were questionable at 3rd in the spring. Either way, they started the year w some serious infield holes

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
Actually I think the problem was they had Saladino, Sanchez, Davidson and Johnson all needing a year in AAA but only 3 positions. Maybe the front office figured the offense was questionable coming out of the spring and so they went w the offensive option in Johnson. Or they actually thought Johnson could play in the majors at that point since they also were questionable at 3rd in the spring. Either way, they started the year w some serious infield holes

Sanchez is decent but players, especially young ones become very overvalued when they are hot, and undervalued when they are struggling. Patience is not something that is in excess here. Sanchez was written off earlier, should have been sent back to Charlotte. Now, he should have been the starter all along. 2 weeks from now, he may be deemed a top 5 2B in baseball or nothing more than a defensive replacement.

Who really knows how he would have done if he was picked over Micah right away? Chances are he would have been sent down if he hit what he hit initially hereand maybe his success now has something to do with his success in Charlotte earlier. We really will never know.

He isn't as good as this hot streak. He never was the .150 hitter he looked like earlier.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
Sanchez is decent but players, especially young ones become very overvalued when they are hot, and undervalued when they are struggling. Patience is not something that is in excess here. Sanchez was written off earlier, should have been sent back to Charlotte. Now, he should have been the starter all along. 2 weeks from now, he may be deemed a top 5 2B in baseball or nothing more than a defensive replacement.

Who really knows how he would have done if he was picked over Micah right away? Chances are he would have been sent down if he hit what he hit initially hereand maybe his success now has something to do with his success in Charlotte earlier. We really will never know.

He isn't as good as this hot streak. He never was the .150 hitter he looked like earlier.

Lifetime milb .288 hitter and improved each time he was promoted after getting the hang of it.

He could very well be a .265-.275 hitter in the bigs.

QUOTE (staxx @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
Lifetime milb .288 hitter and improved each time he was promoted after getting the hang of it.

He could which w his glove would be great. But he also may be in competition w Micah and Saladino for the 2B job next spring. Hopefully the Sox upgrade 3B and SS or use Saladino as a placeholder at SS.

QUOTE (staxx @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)

I've been saying ,280 and I'm being conservative. Post AS Game he is the highest hitter in the lineup at .319 and since his dreadful May and June he's at .303.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
I've been saying ,280 and I'm being conservative. Post AS Game he is the highest hitter in the lineup at .319 and since his dreadful May and June he's at .303.

He really has a chance to be great. I'm surprised he's not talked about more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)

with what you are saying, no offense but that is hind sight kind of statement. as Dick Allen posted later, the sox needed MJ to do what he did, so the sox could keep Sanchez plugging along. until he started to hit. if MJ didn't performed as he did, Sanchez would not have been given his extra time to get the hang of it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
He really has a chance to be great. I'm surprised he's not talked about more.

It's that 1st awful impression he made for 2 months when everyone and their brother was saying he sucks , send him down, he's nothing but a utility guy, he'll never hit at this level . He was the flavor of the month when he was promoted then banished to offensive Hades in most peoples minds when he didn't produce right away. He isn't as bad as his 1st 2 months but probably isn't as good as his last 2.

Hopefully the last 2 months are more indicative of his true talent level. If he continues to shine while the Sox build a winning team he will get plenty of attention but at this time of year it's all about the contenders .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside