Samardzija/Cooper

Dick Allen

Shark baits situation could become very interesting. If he really does not want to return to the south side and rejects the QO, his comp pick attachment plus the wealth of pitching combined with his horrible season could make him a candidate to go un-signed until after the 2016 draft. Not a likely option at this point but it could happen.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
This is starting to become reminiscent of the game of chicken Ozzie and his crew played with Orlando Cabrera after the 2008 season...luckily Alexei was ready to take over and things worked out perfectly in that particular situation.

Who did we draft in that spot, though?

It doesn't look like we had a supplemental pick in 09. It just says that we drafted Beckham #8.

If there relationship was really that contentious, it's yet another stupid reason to have held onto him at the trade deadline.

I could see Shark start to lose his patience with Cooper once the death spiral began in August and he realized 20+ million disappeared from his upcoming contract. Cooper, meanwhile, often has an arrogant demeanor to everyone in the media not named Hawk. I'm sure if a player acts disrespectful (in his mind) he wouldn't have any of it and leaked the info out to Kaplan.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
If there relationship was really that contentious, it's yet another stupid reason to have held onto him at the trade deadline.

I could see Shark start to lose his patience with Cooper once the death spiral began in August and he realized 20+ million disappeared from his upcoming contract. Cooper, meanwhile, often has an arrogant demeanor to everyone in the media not named Hawk. I'm sure if a player acts disrespectful (in his mind) he wouldn't have any of it and leaked the info out to Kaplan.

This and the source make me doubt the story though.

Also I'm of the opinion not to offer that bum anything. No QO for a supplemental draft pick is worth the possible 16 million dollar bed wetting Shark has in store for us.

Hahn f***ed up not trading him, there's no rectifying that. And for everyone who thought we could just pass up trading him because the draft pick awaited us.....I hope someone on the Sox learned a lesson. Not only about knowing the team and how a 7-1 stretch didn't change who they were, but about the risk taken holding onto a player for a draft pick. Sure, Shark wasn't going to receive a Price or Cueto return, but I'm damn sure every offer presented sounds better than the current possibility of NOTHING. Makes the Oakland trade look that much worse, doesn't it?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)

It's not stupid if they valued a top 35 pick higher than the packages being offered though. Dealing him just to deal him doesn't make any sense when there's incentive to keep him.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
Agreed. That would be terrible. Imagine paying him that much to trot out there and put up a 5 ERA.

It doesn't really matter though. They could still deal him after he accepts the QO or keep him all year and hope he pitches better. They'd still get the chance to make another QO after the 2016 season if he were to do that. He's not accepting the QO though. He's always wanted to be a free agent and now he has his chance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
This and the source make me doubt the story though.

I don't doubt it. What we have to wonder is, how common is it for a pitcher and pitching coach to dislike each other? I'd guarantee it's not unheard of among baseball circles. There are probably endless combinations of players who hate coaches, players who hate players, etc., that we just never hear of.

It was leaked at this moment for a certain reason.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 09:03 AM)
I don't doubt it. What we have to wonder is, how common is it for a pitcher and pitching coach to dislike each other? I'd guarantee it's not unheard of among baseball circles. There are probably endless combinations of players who hate coaches, players who hate players, etc., that we just never hear of.

It was leaked at this moment for a certain reason.

You really think Kaplan has White Sox sources that he is serving? If the team wanted something leaked he is about the last guy I think it would come from.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
It's not stupid if they valued a top 35 pick higher than the packages being offered though. Dealing him just to deal him doesn't make any sense when there's incentive to keep him.

This is where we speculate, because I feel that while we weren't going to receive a top return; judging by what Kazmir received (and figuring Shark would command less) we could have still picked up atleast one teams Top 10 prospect.

I'll never believe that they were going to trade Shark in the WC position they were in unless blown away with an offer. This is my issue, because many of us knew the true nature of the team and didn't want the illusion of competing to cloud their judgement. That's why I hope if they ever find thenselves in a similar circumstance they don't hesitate to trade

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
This is where we speculate, because I feel that while we weren't going to receive a top return; judging by what Kazmir received (and figuring Shark would command less) we could have still picked up atleast one teams Top 10 prospect.

I'll never believe that they were going to trade Shark in the WC position they were in unless blown away with an offer. This is my issue, because many of us knew the true nature of the team and didn't want the illusion of competing to cloud their judgement. That's why I hope if they ever find thenselves in a similar circumstance they don't hesitate to trade

We are looking at something like the 30th pick in the draft. Not only would that pick enter our prospects list somewhere around the top 5, it could very well also add enough draft pick dollars to be able to sign another later pick or two depending on how the first couple of picks go. A team would have had to outbid that by enough that it was worth all of the black flag press that would have accompanied any trade off of players by the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
You really think Kaplan has White Sox sources that he is serving? If the team wanted something leaked he is about the last guy I think it would come from.

You dish dirt to the dirtiest people. Scott Merkin wouldn't write about it.

Why would he make it up?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)

i bet his source is Samardzija if it is anyone

QUOTE (glangon @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
There is a worse scenario than that. If we offer Shark the Qualifying Offer and he accepts.

Think about it, he is currently the worst pitcher in baseball (according to number of earned runs given up). He has given up more earned runs (200) than any other pitcher in all of baseball.

Who in their right mind would give up a compensation pick and £10 million a year for the worst pitcher in baseball.

The Shark is not stupid. By accepting the Qualifying Offer, he gives himself another year in the shop window to show what he can do and encourage teams to overpay for him. The market for starting pitchers is extensive this off-season and the Shark knows, he's not going to get anything near what he thinks he is worth, especially when you can get Price, Cueto or Kazmir without giving up a comp pick.

The Sox will offer him a QO and I would not be surprised if he accepts it and we are lumbered with him for another year. That would be a LOSE / LOSE

not really. but i will give you this opinion. if many think that this season was just a bad luck season.... he would recoup his value, in rtn, the sox would reap the benefits of shark using next season to rebuild his value.

the other part would be he can be use as with another player to be as a pkg for a trade.

again a win / win situation.

The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense. We have stories saying the Sox tried to sign him to a long term deal and now that he wants out of Dodge? We must have liked him a lot to trade for him and that was the story line plus the Shark said he loved it in Chicago. Maybe struggling so bad is what is prompting these stories and they are speculation only. Doesn't seem to me that Cooper would be trying to reinvent an established pitcher. He might be working with Smard. as the fastball velocity is down and they are looking for a way to make things work? Has to be frustrating for the crew as much as it is us fans. Regardless I am betting we give Jeff a QO so we don't lose everything on the deal - prospects and money. If he leaves so be it.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense. We have stories saying the Sox tried to sign him to a long term deal and now that he wants out of Dodge? We must have liked him a lot to trade for him and that was the story line plus the Shark said he loved it in Chicago. Maybe struggling so bad is what is prompting these stories and they are speculation only. Doesn't seem to me that Cooper would be trying to reinvent an established pitcher. He might be working with Smard. as the fastball velocity is down and they are looking for a way to make things work? Has to be frustrating for the crew as much as it is us fans. Regardless I am betting we give Jeff a QO so we don't lose everything on the deal - prospects and money. If he leaves so be it.

unless it is a bluff game from 1 side....

now the question is whose :huh

Coop early in the season: "Jeff certain things aren't working. I noticed something. Let's try this."

JS: "f*** you I've always done it this way"

Coop: "This isn't the watered-down NL, you actually have to be on your game here"

JS: "f*** you"

Coop: "You're ruining the momentum every time you pitch and your attitude is hurting the clubhouse"

JS: "I played football"

Coop: "What does that have to do with anything?"

JS: "Everything"

Coop: "I feel like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids"

JS: "Uno b****"

Coop: "Good talk"

JS: "Great talk"

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
Coop early in the season: "Jeff certain things aren't working. I noticed something. Let's try this."

JS: "f*** you I've always done it this way"

Coop: "This isn't the watered-down NL, you actually have to be on your game here"

JS: "f*** you"

Coop: "You're ruining the momentum every time you pitch and your attitude is hurting the clubhouse"

JS: "I played football"

Coop: "What does that have to do with anything?"

JS: "Everything"

Coop: "I feel like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids"

JS: "Uno b****"

Coop: "Good talk"

JS: "Great talk"

i like it.... could have a little something in there on doing something illicit with pets... :whip

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
It doesn't look like we had a supplemental pick in 09. It just says that we drafted Beckham #8.

You're looking at the wrong draft, Beckham was drafted 1 in 2008 following the 2007 debacle.

In 2009 we had a supplemental pick named Josh Phegley. He was then traded for the privilege of having Jeff Samardzija in a White Sox jersey.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)

Meh, I'd glad we kept him instead of trading him for a team's top 10 prospect, especially if it was a team with a farm system that isn't that deep. The supplemental pick could give us another guy like Spencer Adams, who is far better than a team's #10 prospect.