Samardzija/Cooper

Dick Allen

I suspect there is some truth to this, I mean Shark completely fell off the table right after July 31st and that's probably not a coincidence. And Cooper does come across as an arrogant, smug, condescending SOB.

However let's keep in mind this is Kaplan. The same guy who was so sure the Cubs were going to go after Albert Pujois that he walked on the set one day wearing a Cubs #5 Pujois jersey. He's the same guy who insisted Joe Girardi was coming to manager the Cubs and who shouted from the rooftops that the Cubs "would not be outbid on Tanaka..."

Let's just keep that in mind.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bid farewell to Jeff after this one season on the South Side. I agree some team is gonna pay him the 20 million a year I'm sure he and his agent feel he deserves. I'd say 5 seasons for 100 million; Dodgers or somebody. Do the Phils have money? Maybe the Phils or the Mets. He'll definitely be returning to the NL, though.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 02:01 AM)
IMO Cooper is wearing out his welcome here too. He couldn't find a middle ground to work with Samardzija on? Their relationship should never have been this bad, and as his boss, that falls on Cooper as much as it does Samardzija. Give Cooper a QO too, if you ask me... hehe

excellent, i was thinking of pretty much the same thing.

coop has the rep of being some what difficult with a salty vocabulary. that is if i remember correctly on how he has been described. but still the grave has been dug, when it was said he disappointed he was not traded.

oh well

still offer his a QO, it is a win / win situations.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 02:36 AM)
I suspect there is some truth to this, I mean Shark completely fell off the table right after July 31st and that's probably not a coincidence. And Cooper does come across as an arrogant, smug, condescending SOB.

However let's keep in mind this is Kaplan. The same guy who was so sure the Cubs were going to go after Albert Pujois that he walked on the set one day wearing a Cubs #5 Pujois jersey. He's the same guy who insisted Joe Girardi was coming to manager the Cubs and who shouted from the rooftops that the Cubs "would not be outbid on Tanaka..."

Let's just keep that in mind.

Mark

this info you posted, i didn't know about.

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
I have't like him ever since he plunked Konerko.

Didn't like the trade when it happened.

This might be the first thing that I was completely annoyed by something Kaplan said.

I guess Muhsin Muhammad was right when he said Chicago is where receivers go to die

LOL what?

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 06:12 AM)
excellent, i was thinking of pretty much the same thing.

coop has the rep of being some what difficult with a salty vocabulary. that is if i remember correctly on how he has been described. but still the grave has been dug, when it was said he disappointed he was not traded.

oh well

still offer his a QO, it is a win / win situations.

It might be more like win/lose. Sox get to offer the QO and Shark bait rejects therefore the Sox get the comp pick, WIN! Shark hitting free agency with a comp pick attached after he s*** the bed in his last season before free agency that has numerous better pitching options, huge LOSS for Shark bait.

From my Sox fandom perspective, Shark screwing himself over like he has would be its own compensation to the Sox for making a bad trade in the first place.

Please let this all be true. Thinking back to sharks comments before the deadline, Kaplan just might be correct on this one.

We got Sale because a ton of teams thought he'd be a big injury risk. That same "risk" still commonly written about today. Even if you soured on cooper, you should never want to get rid of him for that reason alone. He may not even be the reason sale hasn't seen a major injury yet, but I'm not risking that either.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
It might be more like win/lose. Sox get to offer the QO and Shark bait rejects therefore the Sox get the comp pick, WIN! Shark hitting free agency with a comp pick attached after he s*** the bed in his last season before free agency that has numerous better pitching options, huge LOSS for Shark bait.

From my Sox fandom perspective, Shark screwing himself over like he has would be its own compensation to the Sox for making a bad trade in the first place.

Please let this all be true. Thinking back to sharks comments before the deadline, Kaplan just might be correct on this one.

There is a worse scenario than that. If we offer Shark the Qualifying Offer and he accepts.

Think about it, he is currently the worst pitcher in baseball (according to number of earned runs given up). He has given up more earned runs (200) than any other pitcher in all of baseball.

Who in their right mind would give up a compensation pick and £10 million a year for the worst pitcher in baseball.

The Shark is not stupid. By accepting the Qualifying Offer, he gives himself another year in the shop window to show what he can do and encourage teams to overpay for him. The market for starting pitchers is extensive this off-season and the Shark knows, he's not going to get anything near what he thinks he is worth, especially when you can get Price, Cueto or Kazmir without giving up a comp pick.

The Sox will offer him a QO and I would not be surprised if he accepts it and we are lumbered with him for another year. That would be a LOSE / LOSE

Edited by glangon

QUOTE (glangon @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 07:11 AM)
There is a worse scenario than that. If we offer Shark the Qualifying Offer and he accepts.

Think about it, he is currently the worst pitcher in baseball (according to number of earned runs given up). He has given up more earned runs (200) than any other pitcher in all of baseball.

Who in their right mind would give up a compensation pick and £10 million a year for the worst pitcher in baseball.

The Shark is not stupid. By accepting the Qualifying Offer, he gives himself another year in the shop window to show what he can do and encourage teams to overpay for him. The market for starting pitchers is extensive this off-season and the Shark knows, he's not going to get anything near what he thinks he is worth, especially when you can get Price, Cueto or Kazmir without giving up a comp pick.

The Sox will offer him a QO and I would not be surprised if he accepts it and we are lumbered with him for another year. That would be a LOSE / LOSE

If he dislikes cooper this much, it is highly doubtful that he accepts

QUOTE (glangon @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)
$14 million odd over one year says that he'll cope.

14 million next season with the chance to further damage your stock, as opposed to taking a multi year free agency deal? I dunno, I think he has been looking at his chance at free agency for a long time, and with how bad it has been on the Sox i really dont see him sticking around,

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)
If he dislikes cooper this much, it is highly doubtful that he accepts

KyYIE123 sums up where I'm coming from. Cooper + Shark baits comments before the deadline + Shark being pissed after the deadline about not being traded = Shark bait rejecting the QO.

Well, at least that's what I'm hoping for. :D

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
14 million next season with the chance to further damage your stock, as opposed to taking a multi year free agency deal? I dunno, I think he has been looking at his chance at free agency for a long time, and with how bad it has been on the Sox i really dont see him sticking around,

How can he further damage his stock. He's given up 102 earned runs so far this season. No other starting pitcher has given up more.

If you were a GM, would you want to give up a draft pick to sign Shark on a multi-year deal? I wouldn't.

The smart thing for the Shark to do is to accept the QO and have a rebound year and try and get a good multi-year offer the following year, a year where Cueto, Price and Kazmir are not available without the cost of a draft pick.

I have that sinking feeling that we are stuck with the Shark for another year and at a lot more money.

No it wouldn't. It's a no brainer to give him the QO. He'll either decline and the Sox will get a pick or he'll accept and the Sox can deal him or keep him all season and repeat the QO process. The only thing that doesn't make sense is not offering him a QO.

QUOTE (glangon @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
How can he further damage his stock. He's given up 102 earned runs so far this season. No other starting pitcher has given up more.

If you were a GM, would you want to give up a draft pick to sign Shark on a multi-year deal? I wouldn't.

The smart thing for the Shark to do is to accept the QO and have a rebound year and try and get a good multi-year offer the following year, a year where Cueto, Price and Kazmir are not available without the cost of a draft pick.

I have that sinking feeling that we are stuck with the Shark for another year and at a lot more money.

By repeating this season

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
No it wouldn't. It's a no brainer to give him the QO. He'll either decline and the Sox will get a pick or he'll accept and the Sox can deal him or keep him all season and repeat the QO process. The only thing that doesn't make sense is not offering him a QO.

I agree that it's a no brainer in offering him the Qualifying offer.

I just have this bad feeling that he'll accept it which is what very few people want after this year's debacle of a season.

QUOTE (glangon @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
I agree that it's a no brainer in offering him the Qualifying offer.

I just have this bad feeling that he'll accept it which is what very few people want after this year's debacle of a season.

Agreed. That would be terrible. Imagine paying him that much to trot out there and put up a 5 ERA.