My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
I don't get the appeal of Jason Heyward. He's going to be so overpaid, and he's not even that good.

Arguably the best defensive outfielder in all of baseball, he got off to a slow start with STL but he's picked it up. Plus, he's only 25.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 11:54 PM)
Instead of ridiculing our ideas, come up with your own and contribute to the thread then.

i agree with him.... for pete sake, the season is not over, the FA haven't gotten a QO or not.

plus the biggest question mark is the protected top 10.

i not saying this is a crappy thread, i am just saying that it is too early.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
i agree with him.... for pete sake, the season is not over, the FA haven't gotten a QO or not.

plus the biggest question mark is the protected top 10.

i not saying this is a crappy thread, i am just saying that it is too early.

Thanks LDF. :headbang

It really is early. It's going to be two more months before we can really begin to take guesses as to the off season plans because as you said, we don't know for certain the free agents.

I am going to post some thoughts momentarily since we're in a rain delay.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
LaRoche has a better contract than Reyes Mr. Snarky Boy.

It's not all about contract, it's also about performance. Reyes is actually decent, despite his contract. You honestly think the Rockies would trade Reyes for LaRoche? I feel ridiculous to even type it out.

I think all of the Arenado discussion is kind of silly. It's not going to happen. It wouldn't be worth it for the Sox to give up whatever they'd have to to get him. Trading for CarGo, who only has 2 years left and is paid quite handsomely would make more sense potentially, as he'd cost less in trade. Maybe if the Sox can't get one of Heyward, Upton, or Cespedes that could be worth investigating.

Todd Frazier only has 2 years left on his deal and the Reds should trade him. But they've said that they won't.

Sox should try to get one of those aforementioned outfielders.

Try to sign Zobrist to play 3B. If they can't get him, I'd sign Daniel Murphy from the Mets. He's got a career .780 OPS against righties. Platoon him with Saladino if you like.

Here's my ridiculous idea as a counterpoint to the Arenado talk. Sign Chris Davis to play 3B. He started out as a third baseman. Played 15 or 20 games there last year. I'll assume he's bad defensively and that 40 home runs probably offsets that. Let half of the year play out. If it's working, keep going. If/when LaRoche is at the end of his leash, Davis takes over DH and backup 1B (he's even played a bunch of RF this year).

I can go either way on signing Alexei. I think Saladino can approximate him for no money. I'd at very least bargain Alexei down to $7 million or something.

QO to Shark. E Johnson joins the rotation.

Fire Kenny Williams

Fire Rick Hahn

Fire Robin Ventura

Fire most scouting

Begin the recovery process with a real general manager and baseball operations team.

Our current players just don't matter. None of them outside of Sale could possibly part of the "good White Sox"

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 02:41 AM)
Fire Kenny Williams

Fire Rick Hahn

Fire Robin Ventura

Fire most scouting

Begin the recovery process with a real general manager and baseball operations team.

Our current players just don't matter. None of them outside of Sale could possibly part of the "good White Sox"

For someone that loves the Cubs prospects as much as you do, why discredit Rodon? I'm amazed at the lack of excitement about him.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:41 PM)
Fire Kenny Williams

Fire Rick Hahn

Fire Robin Ventura

Fire most scouting

One of most garbage posts I've seen on this website in quite some time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:43 PM)
For someone that loves the Cubs prospects as much as you do, why discredit Rodon? I'm amazed at the lack of excitement about him.

He can stay, too, obviously. I generally don't care for the position players. My thing is Sale is the only player you cannot POSSIBLY get even money for.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
One of most garbage posts I've seen on this website in quite some time.

Your inability to accept reality does you no credit. Any other organization would fire all these parts. I believe the White Sox are a better organization than one playoff appearance in 9 years. It's a shame you accept that mediocrity. Clearly you wouldn't know good baseball if it hit you over the head.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
It's not all about contract, it's also about performance. Reyes is actually decent, despite his contract. You honestly think the Rockies would trade Reyes for LaRoche? I feel ridiculous to even type it out.

They absolutely would do that deal straight up without even thinking about it. They'd save themselves $30 million. Reyes is the worst defensive shortstop in baseball not named Marcus Semien and he's making $22 million each of the next 2 years. Rockies would dump him on anyone willing to take him because his contract is a nightmare.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 01:48 AM)
He can stay, too, obviously. I generally don't care for the position players. My thing is Sale is the only player you cannot POSSIBLY get even money for.

Fair enough, but Abreu, Eaton, Q and Robertson are good pieces as well.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Your inability to accept reality does you no credit. Any other organization would fire all these parts.

So people who disagree with your extreme pessimism are just refusing to accept "reality"? Pessimism doesn't always equal "realism", nor does it mean your opinion is somehow more valid or correct, yet in your posts it seems like you think this is the case.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:53 PM)
Fair enough, but Abreu, Eaton, Q and Robertson are good pieces as well.

But they have real value, as well. Abreu and Q are worth real prospects. You can get something of value for them. Sale is the wild card. You can't get a return worth Chris Sale.

You guys are on board with Chris Davis being our third baseman? His defense there would be flat out terrible... not to mention he'd be hitting around .225. Zobrist is another player who would likely regress if he comes here.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
They absolutely would do that deal straight up without even thinking about it. They'd save themselves $30 million. Reyes is the worst defensive shortstop in baseball not named Marcus Semien and he's making $22 million each of the next 2 years. Rockies would dump him on anyone willing to take him because his contract is a nightmare.

Then what would they do with LaRoche?

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 02:55 AM)
But they have real value, as well. Abreu and Q are worth real prospects. You can get something of value for them. Sale is the wild card. You can't get a return worth Chris Sale.

Ironically I think you can, especially now he's one year closer to free agency. Boston absolutely could make it work. Betts, Swihart, ERod, Devers and Margot and you have a deal.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
So people who disagree with your extreme pessimism are just refusing to accept "reality"? Pessimism doesn't always equal "realism", nor does it mean your opinion is somehow more valid or correct, yet in your posts it seems like you think this is the case.

9 seasons. 1 playoff appearance. I'm afforded some pessimism.

We have Chris Sale, (corrected) Carlos Rodon, and a couple of commodities that can make us very good in the future should we move them. We have a huge hole in scouting judging by the horrible position player drafting over the last 15 seasons. That's not pessimism.

Pessimism is the defeatist nonsense Cubs fans have had for the better part of 10 seasons which has finally been shed by their fanbase. There is not enough to love on this White Sox team. The results speak for themselves.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
Ironically I think you can, especially now he's one year closer to free agency. Boston absolutely could make it work. Betts, Swihart, ERod, Devers and Margot and you have a deal.

I think we're about one season away from really being in a position to move Sale for even money. His contract is just SO GOOD. At the same time, if you think Sale will be injured at any point during the next season, maybe it is time to unload him, but I'm thinking keeping him is worth the gamble.