My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Your inability to accept reality does you no credit. Any other organization would fire all these parts. I believe the White Sox are a better organization than one playoff appearance in 9 years. It's a shame you accept that mediocrity. Clearly you wouldn't know good baseball if it hit you over the head.

Lol...you know jack s*** about me bro. What I know about you is you recently came to this site with this "I'm smarter than everyone" attitude because you believe all us "Cubs haters" won't acknowledge how bad things have gotten. Outside of a select few posters, we're all aware how mediocre this organization has been since 2005. And quite frankly, I agree that a lot of the leadership needs to go, including KW, Ventura, & Buddy Bell. But when you say Chris Sale is the only guy on the roster who'd be part of a good Sox team, you sound like a whiny little b**** looking for attention. Just absolute garbage and if you continue to make comments like that, you'll continue to get flamed (which is maybe what you're looking for in the first place).

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
You guys are on board with Chris Davis being our third baseman? His defense there would be flat out terrible... not to mention he'd be hitting around .225. Zobrist is another player who would likely regress if he comes here.

Good god.

1) I wasn't being all that serious about Davis because I'm confident it won't happen.

2) If he really were hitting .225, he'd still be an excellent addition because he leads baseball with 40 home runs. His OPS is .890 or so.

3) He's hitting .256. He's not hitting .225. Why would you randomly make up a statistic rather than just looking it up? All of the numbers are right there inside the computer you are evidently typing at.

Move Eaton to RF, put Trayce in CF. That move improves our defense GREATLY. Next season is a development season, really. I don't see the Sox being competitive until 2017. They have SO much pitching depth in the minors now. These guys will be emerging in 2016-17. The White Sox should have a dominate staff and bullpen for years to come.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Instead of ridiculing our ideas, come up with your own and contribute to the thread then.

Fair enough. I'll post some thoughts but I will say right now they are subject to change until the post season ends and the FA list is set in stone.

C- I know this won't be popular but Flowers will be here next year. No, he's not anyone's ideal catcher but catchers are not a dime a dozen and the pitching staff likes him. Imo, catcher is a hole but not the most important hole to be fixed. I'd like the Sox to try and find a platoon mate for Flowers, something along the lines of a Jason Castro who just might be available this winter.

2B- I stick with Sanchez. Sanchez has the glove and his bat is just fine for second. Sanchez is still quite young and his history shows that he adapts in time as he has progressed through the minors. I see no problem in letting Sanchez have a full season at second to see what he can do.

SS- I lean towards giving Saladino the starting nod due to his youth, range, arm and glove. Buying out Alexei could save the Sox 9M that could be used elsewhere. Problem with this idea is who the hell becomes the backup? I guess Leury Garcia could be used and would probably defensively serve the purpose but his lack of hitting at the major league level concerns me. This is a risky proposition I admit and one I'm not certain on at this point.

3B- props to the member that mentioned Alex Guerrero. I think Guerrero is a realistic possibility since he can play 3B, albeit far from the best, and the Dodgers are likely to look into dealing him though that's just my opinion/speculation. He would certainly bring power to the position. Problem is his opt out clause. Supposedly Guerrero is open to an extension with the team that trades for him so if he were willing to do that, I would try and get him to play 3B.

1B- Abreu of course. :)

DH- in a perfect world, I would try and trade LaRoche with cash over the winter. Turn the DH into a platoon spot for Micah Johnson and Avi Garcia. Micah can give Sanchez a breather from time to time and Avi can do the same for LF and RF. With Micah having defensive issues to go with his health, maybe it's time for the SOX to break the mold of DH and give Micah a shot a keeping those legs fresh and healthy. At this point, I would take Micah and Avi's production over LaRoche any time.

CF- Eaton.

RF- I'd like to see Thompson have a shot at playing every day. Worst case scenario, Thompson plays against LHP and Shuck plays against RHP. Both players are an immediate defensive upgrade over Avi.

LF- I'm fine with Cabrera.

SP- Sale, Q, Rodon, E. Johnson and Danks. Danks, imo, serves an important roll of bridging the gap in 2016 to a hopefully début of Carson Fulmer by the start of the 2017 season.

Bullpen- not much needs to be changed. I would look into to keeping Albers depending on the cost but it may not be necessary.

I should point out that the savings from buying out Alexei would go towards an extension for Guerrero. Same with any money saved by trading LaRoche, though that savings would not be much if he was even traded which I admit is not likely.

Now there would be 9.8M left over from walking away from Shark bait. How to spend that money im sure I don't know. Not at this point. One thing I'm sure of is that Heyward will not be wearing a Sox uni and the Sox do not have the coin to get into a bidding war with the teams that will be after him. Same for Price.

I have not looked at the FA list because as I said, its too early and I don't know the Sox financials but I do trust in Hahn's creativity. One thing I would not rule out is the possibility of the Sox taking on a bigger contract via trade which Hahn has said is possible. I would rather curb my expectations until things become a bit more clearer after the WS.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
Good god.

1) I wasn't being all that serious about Davis because I'm confident it won't happen.

2) If he really were hitting .225, he'd still be an excellent addition because he leads baseball with 40 home runs. His OPS is .890 or so.

3) He's hitting .256. He's not hitting .225. Why would you randomly make up a statistic rather than just looking it up? All of the numbers are right there inside the computer you are evidently typing at.

The .225, I suppose, came from LH power hitters like LaRoche and Dunn coming here and doing far worse than they have done in the past. I agree that we could use his power, though.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:41 PM)
Fire Kenny Williams

Fire Rick Hahn

Fire Robin Ventura

Fire most scouting

Begin the recovery process with a real general manager and baseball operations team.

Our current players just don't matter. None of them outside of Sale could possibly part of the "good White Sox"

That's going to take a new owner who want to win.

My off season "plan" is to forget about the White Sox completely. Hope the Cubs lose in the wild card game and pray to all that's holy, JR makes substantial needed changes to the front office in a massive overhaul.

Naturally my plan is more of a dream since JR isn't going to do anything.

Mark

1.) QO to Samardzija

2.) Exercise Alexei's option

3.) Sign Mat Latos or Gavin Floyd

4.) Sign Don Orsillo; Phase out Hawk

5.) If the braves fire Fredi Gonzalez hire him and release Ventura.

6.) Move the pillars.

Trade Chris Sale & David Robertson to the Dodgers for RF Yasiel Puig, SS/3B Corey Seager, LHP Julio Urias & C Austin Barnes

Trade Jose Quintana & Avisail Garcia to the Rangers for IF Jurickson Profar, OF Nomar Mazara, OF Lewis Brinson & LHP Yohander Mendez

Trade Jose Abreu to the Pirates for RHP Tyler Glasnow, 1B Josh Bell & OF Harold Ramirez

Opening Day

DH - Micah Johnson

C - Austin Barnes

1B - Adam LaRoche

2B - Carlos Sanchez

SS - Alexei Ramirez

3B - Jurickson Profar

LF - Melky Cabrera

CF - Adam Eaton

RF - Yasiel Puig

SP - Carlos Rodon

SP - Erik Johnson

SP - John Danks

SP - Mat Latos

SP - Frankie Montas

Midseason after the super 2 cut off and after the trade deadline.

DH - Micah Johnson

C - Austin Barnes

1B - Josh Bell

2B - Carlos Sanchez

SS - Jurickson Profar

3B - Corey Seager

LF - Adam Eaton

CF - Lewis Brinson

RF - Yasiel Puig

SP - Carlos Rodon

SP - Erik Johnson

SP - Frankie Montas

SP - Tyler Glasnow

SP - Julio Urias

If one of profar or sanchez doesn't work out at the very least they can be a solid bench piece and a place holder for Anderson.

QUOTE (beautox @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 11:04 PM)
1.) QO to Samardzija

2.) Exercise Alexei's option

3.) Sign Mat Latos or Gavin Floyd

4.) Sign Don Orsillo; Phase out Hawk

5.) If the braves fire Fredi Gonzalez hire him and release Ventura.

6.) Move the pillars.

Trade Chris Sale & David Robertson to the Dodgers for RF Yasiel Puig, SS/3B Corey Seager, LHP Julio Urias & C Austin Barnes

Trade Jose Quintana & Avisail Garcia to the Rangers for IF Jurickson Profar, OF Nomar Mazara, OF Lewis Brinson & LHP Yohander Mendez

Trade Jose Abreu to the Pirates for RHP Tyler Glasnow, 1B Josh Bell & OF Harold Ramirez

Opening Day

DH - Micah Johnson

C - Austin Barnes

1B - Adam LaRoche

2B - Carlos Sanchez

SS - Alexei Ramirez

3B - Jurickson Profar

LF - Melky Cabrera

CF - Adam Eaton

RF - Yasiel Puig

SP - Carlos Rodon

SP - Erik Johnson

SP - John Danks

SP - Mat Latos

SP - Frankie Montas

Midseason after the super 2 cut off and after the trade deadline.

DH - Micah Johnson

C - Austin Barnes

1B - Josh Bell

2B - Carlos Sanchez

SS - Jurickson Profar

3B - Corey Seager

LF - Adam Eaton

CF - Lewis Brinson

RF - Yasiel Puig

SP - Carlos Rodon

SP - Erik Johnson

SP - Frankie Montas

SP - Tyler Glasnow

SP - Julio Urias

If one of profar or sanchez doesn't work out at the very least they can be a solid bench piece and a place holder for Anderson.

Talk about thinking outside the box. I don't know about the fairness of the Abreu and Quintana trades, though. I feel like we should be getting a bit more back.

Existing Sox Players

-Make qualifying offer to Shark (he rejects).

-Reject Alexei Ramirez's option

-Resign Soto to 1/$5M deal.

-Resign Albers to 1/$3M deal.

-Trade for Flowers for A ball lottery ticket.

Free Agents & Acquistions

-Sign Justin Upton to 6/$130M deal

-Sign Ben Zobrist to 2/$28M deal

-Sign Billingsley to 1 year deal w/ incentives

-Trade Avi Garcia to the Mets for Kevin Plawecki

1. Eaton, CF

2. Zobrist, 3B

3. Abreu, DH (1B against LHP)

4. Cabrera, LF (DH against LHP)

5. Upton, RF

6. LaRoche, 1B (bench against LHP)

7. Plawecki, C

8. Sanchez, SS (bench against LHP)

9. Johnson, 2B

IF: Saladino (SS against LHP)

OF: Thompson (LF against LHP)

UT: L. Garcia

BC: Soto

#1: Sale

#2: Quintana

#3: Rodon

#4: Johnson

#5: Danks (Fulmer mid-season call-up)

CL: Robertson

SU: Jones

SU: Duke

MR: Putnam

MR: Jennings

MR: Petricka

MR: Albers

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 11:08 PM)
Existing Sox Players

-Reject Alexei Ramirez's option

-Resign Soto to 1/$5M deal.

-Resign Albers to 1/$3M deal.

-Trade for Flowers for A ball lottery ticket.

-Sign Justin Upton to 6/$130M deal

-Sign Ben Zobrist to 2/$28M deal

-Sign Billingsley to 1 year deal w/ incentives

-Trade Avi Garcia to the Mets for Kevin Plawecki

1. Eaton, CF

2. Zobrist, 3B

3. Abreu, DH (1B against LHP)

4. Cabrera, LF (DH against LHP)

5. Upton, RF

6. LaRoche, 1B (bench against LHP)

7. Plawecki, C

8. Sanchez, SS (bench against LHP)

9. Johnson, 2B

IF: Saladino (SS against LHP)

OF: Thompson (LF against LHP)

UT: L. Garcia

BC: Soto

#5: Danks (Fulmer mid-season call-up)

I really like the bolded idea. I also would sign Heyward instead of Upton.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
DH- in a perfect world, I would try and trade LaRoche with cash over the winter. Turn the DH into a platoon spot for Micah Johnson and Avi Garcia. Micah can give Sanchez a breather from time to time and Avi can do the same for LF and RF. With Micah having defensive issues to go with his health, maybe it's time for the SOX to break the mold of DH and give Micah a shot a keeping those legs fresh and healthy. At this point, I would take Micah and Avi's production over LaRoche any time.

I basically agree. I trumpeted the rotating DH model a little bit last offseason, thus the LaRoche signing was a little disappointing right from the start. So even though I think nagging injuries are partially to blame for his performance and he's a good bet for positive regression, I think trying to dump him is the right move.

Think of the money we'd have to send along with him as buying a ticket to evaluate more guys.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
So people who disagree with your extreme pessimism are just refusing to accept "reality"? Pessimism doesn't always equal "realism", nor does it mean your opinion is somehow more valid or correct, yet in your posts it seems like you think this is the case.

Welcome to social media where "keeping it real" has become an acceptable substitute for substantive conversation and facts.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
I think all of the Arenado discussion is kind of silly. It's not going to happen. It wouldn't be worth it for the Sox to give up whatever they'd have to to get him. Trading for CarGo, who only has 2 years left and is paid quite handsomely would make more sense potentially, as he'd cost less in trade. Maybe if the Sox can't get one of Heyward, Upton, or Cespedes that could be worth investigating.

Todd Frazier only has 2 years left on his deal and the Reds should trade him. But they've said that they won't.

Sox should try to get one of those aforementioned outfielders.

Try to sign Zobrist to play 3B. If they can't get him, I'd sign Daniel Murphy from the Mets. He's got a career .780 OPS against righties. Platoon him with Saladino if you like.

Here's my ridiculous idea as a counterpoint to the Arenado talk. Sign Chris Davis to play 3B. He started out as a third baseman. Played 15 or 20 games there last year. I'll assume he's bad defensively and that 40 home runs probably offsets that. Let half of the year play out. If it's working, keep going. If/when LaRoche is at the end of his leash, Davis takes over DH and backup 1B (he's even played a bunch of RF this year).

I can go either way on signing Alexei. I think Saladino can approximate him for no money. I'd at very least bargain Alexei down to $7 million or something.

QO to Shark. E Johnson joins the rotation.

This is what I have been hoping for. I would just put Davis at DH, and not use LaRoche. Hopefully, he could be unloaded before signing Davis. With that bat in the lineup, there would not be a need for a real productive bat at 3RD. I'd let Olt get a chance to prove that he can hit Big League pitching.

You all know that I have argued, for a long time, that the biggest flaw in this roster was having LaRoche in the middle of the lineup. If they can fix that, without diminishing their outstanding pitching, they can compete.

I have absolutely no idea how much $$ they want to spend. I'd stay away from QO free agents. I do believe that they plan on competing though. Cespedes would interest me for the OF without the QO attached. Zobrist and Guerero would interest me at 3B. Chris Davis as a DH option minus LaRoche would interest me as well. Maybe this is finally the year that Rick Hahn acquires Jason Castro. With Castro and Flowers, the White Sox would have 2 of the best pitch framers in baseball. Whether we all agree or not, they are not going to waste this rotation. They'll try and compete. It's what they do.

Does this team have enough power?

1. Adam Eaton CF

2. Carlos Sanchez 2B

3. Jose Abreu 1B

4. Ben Zobrist 3B

5. Melky Cabrera LF

6. Jason Castro C

7. Avisail Garcia RF

8. Rotating DH (Micah, Trayce)

9. Tyler Saladino SS

Is that enough to go with a rotation of: Sale/Quintana/Rodon/Fister,Kennedy type/Johnson and a bullpen with Robertson, Duke, Montas, and Jones at the back end?

I don't think it's out of the question to expect better numbers from Sale, Quintana, and Rodon next year (at least in ERA, though we may have to shore up the outfield defense to do that), and EJ wouldn't have to do much to replace or outperform Samardzija's production. The offense is a bit trickier to project, as we saw some guys regress hard from 2014, but in the cases of Alexei and LaRoche they're old so we might not be able to expect a lot of positive regression from them next year. If we can somehow find an upgrade for 3B or RF without giving up significant parts of the future I'd be down for rolling with what we've got in 2016 while looking towards 2017-2018 to really contend when some of the prospects are ready and money has come off the books. We still look like a .500ish team, and if a few things break right we could contend next year while still keeping the future intact.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
I basically agree. I trumpeted the rotating DH model a little bit last offseason, thus the LaRoche signing was a little disappointing right from the start. So even though I think nagging injuries are partially to blame for his performance and he's a good bet for positive regression, I think trying to dump him is the right move.

Think of the money we'd have to send along with him as buying a ticket to evaluate more guys.

I liked the rotating DH idea myself but I admit I also liked the LaRoche signing at the time. Things just haven't worked out so far. I'm not counting on the Sox moving LaRoche, its admittedly wishful thinking on my part.

I would use LaRoche as a LHB with pop off the bench but its doubtful the Sox would do it, but I remain hopeful never the less.

I was just thinking more of realistic possibilities for 3B and I've seen the poster LDF mention the idea of the Sox going after Ian Desmond. If Desmond ends up coming without a comp pick, I can see the Sox exploring the possibility of trying to sign him to play 3B. I like his left handed power but his average has taken a hit this year so I'm unsure at this point but Desmond could be worth looking into. I don't even know if Desmond would be willing to move over to 3B but I like LDF's line of thinking.

-Exercise Alexei Ramirez's option

-Resign Albers to 1/$2.5M deal.

-Get whatever you can for Flowers

-Sign Jayson Heyward to 6/$150M deal

-Sign Ben Zobrist to 2/$30M deal (may require 3/$40 to get it done)

-Sign Fister, Latos or Kennedy to 1 year incentive laden deal

-Sign John Jaso (C/1B/DH)

-Trade John Danks and Adam LaRoche (+5M) for Melvin Upton Jr and Austin Hedges

-Trade Avi Garcia and Micah Johnson for a C. I'd like to see Lucroy, but realize that may require another piece - maybe Michalczewski or Danish in addition to those guys. I'd lean towards moving Trey due to the addition of McMahon (see below).

1. Eaton, CF

2. Zobrist, 3B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Heyward, RF

5. Cabrera, LF

6. Lucroy, C (DHs against LHP; Hedges catches)

7. Jaso, DH (sits versus LHP)

8. Ramirez, SS

9. Sanchez, 2B

UTIL: Saladino

OF: Thompson

OF: Melvin Upton Jr.

BC: Hedges (catches 3 times a week; Lucroy shifts to DH or 1B)

#5: Fister / Latos / Kennedy (Fulmer mid-season call-up)

Other moves: Frankie Montas traded for a prospect of more need to the White Sox. 3B Ryan McMahon in the Rockies organization makes a ton of sense - blocked by Arenado, can step in for Zobrist after his 2 year expires at 3B, or Zobrist can move to 2B or OF (where ever needed) if McMahon pushes Zobrist off 3B before his contract expires.

Great posts by so many of you. No way Arenado is gonna get traded unless we offer Sale like somebody said. They won't trade him. I have no idea how Hahn fixes this mess except to for sure get rid of Melky, LaRoche, Duke, Petricka, let Lexi go and trade Avi as well. Also release Soto and Flowers or make Flowers backup catcher about 50 games.

It's up to Hahn to figure out how to promote those minor leaguers worth a damn and totally revamp the team by dumping horrible players and acquiring younger free agents.