My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

Really the only value that the Sox have to trade is veteran starting pitching. Oh they can shuffle the Danishs and perhaps Micah but leave A ball alone - a lot of talent of which it's still to hard to judge real value.

And some want to trade Avi - can't wait to get rid of him. This is his first full ML season and he's doing pretty well. Ridiculous.

I listened to a Law chat and someone asked him about Trayce. He says that Trayce is a 70 defensive centerfielder. But he doesn't like the bat at all because the swing is long and somewhat loopy. He hasn't seen Trayce on the Sox, though.

So my question, is his swing still long? Or has the pitching coach, perhaps, done something with him.

Because if this is sustainable, or partially sustainable, the Sox have another trade chit: Eaton.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
Really the only value that the Sox have to trade is veteran starting pitching. Oh they can shuffle the Danishs and perhaps Micah but leave A ball alone - a lot of talent of which it's still to hard to judge real value.

And some want to trade Avi - can't wait to get rid of him. This is his first full ML season and he's doing pretty well. Ridiculous.

I listened to a Law chat and someone asked him about Trayce. He says that Trayce is a 70 defensive centerfielder. But he doesn't like the bat at all because the swing is long and somewhat loopy. He hasn't seen Trayce on the Sox, though.

So my question, is his swing still long? Or has the pitching coach, perhaps, done something with him.

Because if this is sustainable, or partially sustainable, the Sox have another trade chit: Eaton.

The Sox aren't trading their second best hitter when they're desperate for offense, especially not when he is cost-controlled for multiple years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 10:34 PM)
The Sox aren't trading their second best hitter when they're desperate for offense, especially not when he is cost-controlled for multiple years.

I agree - they won't. He is the 2nd to best hitter, but he's not that great of a hitter. As for cost controlled - well, you'd get the value of cost-control back in trade. Have to trade something to get something. It would also be a sell=high opportunity, something that the Sox don't do.

From what I've seen, if Trayce is part of this team, he should be in CF. Eaton should be in left.

I went back and looked at Trayce's highlights over a few days. Swing looks pretty tight to me. Of course all I'm seeing is his hits.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 03:42 AM)
I agree - they won't. He is the 2nd to best hitter, but he's not that great of a hitter. As for cost controlled - well, you'd get the value of cost-control back in trade. Have to trade something to get something. It would also be a sell=high opportunity, something that the Sox don't do.

From what I've seen, if Trayce is part of this team, he should be in CF. Eaton should be in left.

I went back and looked at Trayce's highlights over a few days. Swing looks pretty tight to me. Of course all I'm seeing is his hits.

Even in a majority of the at bats he's made outs in, he has showed good plate discipline and put a good swing on the ball. His balance at the plate has been fantastic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)

I don't mind Eaton in CF even with his below average defense if the sox don't have anything with Thompson; but if Trayce is the second coming of Alex Rios with the bat and an above average defender in CF that would be a huge boost for this organization.

Moving Eaton to LF allows his bat and defense to profile very similarly to that of Alex Gordon especially if the second half power hitting version of Eaton is here to stay .320/.407/.479 the BABIP is unsustainable (.409) but maybe his ISO is (.160); Moving Eaton out of CF and placing an above average defender like trayce there is a swing of nearly 20-25+ in DRS seeing how Eaton in the past in left field has been an above average defender .

QUOTE (beautox @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 05:43 AM)
I don't mind Eaton in CF even with his below average defense if the sox don't have anything with Thompson; but if Trayce is the second coming of Alex Rios with the bat and an above average defender in CF that would be a huge boost for this organization.

Moving Eaton to LF allows his bat and defense to profile very similarly to that of Alex Gordon especially if the second half power hitting version of Eaton is here to stay .320/.407/.479 the BABIP is unsustainable (.409) but maybe his ISO is (.160); Moving Eaton out of CF and placing an above average defender like trayce there is a swing of nearly 20-25+ in DRS seeing how Eaton in the past in left field has been an above average defender .

nice opinion

i agree with half of what you posted but the sox are in a precarious situations or time here.

yes the future does indeed look extremely good from a pitching stand and yes the sox are going to need to do some trading. but the time is now. the clock is ticking.... this 3 yr plan is a fools statement to keep the barbarians on the gate pacified. at the same time they keep moving the goal line to accommodate their mistakes.

be aggressive in trades and draft picks. be harsh in some of the prospects the sox have and make the right player selection.

but most of all, they will NEED to delve into the FA market..... they have no choice. make another splash in it and screw the salary.... spend the money now... they will reap the profits later when the fans comes out, the other investments will start to pay off, and most importantly, players contracts will time out. at that time, they will have the farm to replace the players.

If Sox make Trayce the full time CF, they'll find out quickly if he can hit a steady diet of breaking stuff. I have my doubts. As well as he has played, this is the same guy who hit .260ish at Charlotte and was worse last year in AA.

Eaton would be much more effective in LF. Then, you have to figure out what to do with Melky.

Shark is a nightmare waiting to get worse. I keep thinking that he will continue pitching the same way, he will get the QO and eventually take it because no one else wants him, and next year he makes twice what Sale makes and 3 times what Q makes, and he gets worse, not better.

I'm still positive, of course/

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
Then what would they do with LaRoche?

If the front office is not willing to accept that they made a serious mistake in acquiring LaRoche, and recognize his salary as a sunken cost, they can forget

about fixing this team, for next season. They are not going to compete with him in the middle of their lineup. That has been apparent since very early in the season, and is now irrefutable. I don't care what they do with him, they have to be willing to move on.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
If the front office is not willing to accept that they made a serious mistake in acquiring LaRoche, and recognize his salary as a sunken cost, they can forget

about fixing this team, for next season. They are not going to compete with him in the middle of their lineup. That has been apparent since very early in the season, and is now irrefutable. I don't care what they do with him, they have to be willing to move on.

it all depends on the off season and the game plan they come up with.

worst case, get another dh and platoon adam.

accept the mistake and move on. improve the team.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)

I was referring to what the Rockies would do with LaRoche in a hypothetical trade.

However, I agree with your analysis.

OK lets see where this team needs help. In no particular order OBP, power, defense. 1st order of business is Sox have to rid themselves of Adam LaRoche through retirement, trade or eating part or all of his contract. If by some miracle the Sox can get rid of him that opens up room to use Avi and Melky at DH or Micah Johnson. It also puts Trayce Thompson in the OF full time thus improving defense . If the Sox end up eating the contract then it will probably be the end of the Alexei era at SS since those contracts almost offset one another.

Instead of going for a big gun like Arenado I'd see if the Nationals were willing to part with Anthony Rendon for 3B . He's had a down year because of injury and the Nats have used him more at 2nd base than 3rd but he looks like an outstanding 3rd baseman and has 20 HR power maybe more since he is only 25.

I'd also like to get Stephen Vogt for catcher and backup 1st baseman . He's a LH bat with power and good OBP.

Both Rendon and Vogt bring more power and OBP into the lineup. Rendon brings a good glove. Unknown to me how bad of a catcher Vogt is.

Saladino can play SS and Sanchez 2nd. With the added bats and improved defense with Sally, Sanchez and Thompson there's a chance at a wild card without signing a big FA. Also gives another year to see if those guys can improve on offense.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)
The Sox need more than just better production from the DH spot in the order. RF, 3B, SS, LF and 2B need to improve in order for the Sox to be legit contenders next year. LaRoche/DH is only one problem among many.

that was the same thinking many on this board was thinking.... and i was one of them.

however, i still think like that, another yr has gone by and i still believe in it. now it is up to the FO to follow thru with it instead of stopping in mid rebuilding.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
that was the same thinking many on this board was thinking.... and i was one of them.

however, i still think like that, another yr has gone by and i still believe in it. now it is up to the FO to follow thru with it instead of stopping in mid rebuilding.

I do too. Sox have a formidable starting rotation with a pretty good bullpen. You can win with Eaton, Melky, and Abreu, just a matter of finding couple more players to build around. And that will be the task at hand. That's why I mentioned Heyward and Arenado/Longoria/Seager/Frazier/Rendon because these types of players are still in their prime and build around the line up.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
I do too. Sox have a formidable starting rotation with a pretty good bullpen. You can win with Eaton, Melky, and Abreu, just a matter of finding couple more players to build around. And that will be the task at hand. That's why I mentioned Heyward and Arenado/Longoria/Seager/Frazier/Rendon because these types of players are still in their prime and build around the line up.

part of that i agree with you.

but there is sooo much to look at .... but it will be answered at season end.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)

Why would you say you can win with Melky and not Avi? Melky has also been one of the worst OFs in baseball this year, his defense hasnt been quite Garciabad but his offense has been worse. If Melky goes on your list of guys you can win with then Avi does as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Why would you say you can win with Melky and not Avi? Melky has also been one of the worst OFs in baseball this year, his defense hasnt been quite Garciabad but his offense has been worse. If Melky goes on your list of guys you can win with then Avi does as well.

Because 2015 2016 and Melky has an actual track record of being a good hitter. Unless you believe peds are the reason for his drop-off, I think there's reason to expect a decent amount of positive regression next year. As for Avi, his lack of plate discipline gives me little faith he'll turn the corner. Definitely could happen, but there is nothing available today that makes me feel confident that he'll be more than the next Viciedo.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
Because 2015 2016 and Melky has an actual track record of being a good hitter. Unless you believe peds are the reason for his drop-off, I think there's reason to expect a decent amount of positive regression next year. As for Avi, his lack of plate discipline gives me little faith he'll turn the corner. Definitely could happen, but there is nothing available today that makes me feel confident that he'll be more than the next Viciedo.

Avi and Melky both suck but considering the amounts of money they make we are stuck with Cabrera, which means if we want to improve we have to move Avi, which won't happen because Hahn and KW have a boner for him, so next year our 4-5 with be Cabrera/Garcia again and we will continue to have rallies die after Abreu.

Avi still has a chance to be a really good player. This is his first complete season of ML ball. He'll get better next year (I hope). He already looks better than he did 4-5 months ago; power is increasing, too. Of course, I don't have any stats to back this up, just my perception.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
Avi still has a chance to be a really good player. This is his first complete season of ML ball. He'll get better next year (I hope). He already looks better than he did 4-5 months ago; power is increasing, too. Of course, I don't have any stats to back this up, just my perception.

He started the season very well, then had a major power outage from the end of May until mid August, if I remember correctly. I think he'll improve slightly next year- just gain some consistency.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)

I was watching the game recently and they flashed something about Avi hitting .313 over the last 22 games. So I went to the Sox website and checked Avi over the last 30 and he was hitting 292. with a .353 OBP.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)

Melky is the bigger anchor: lousy defender, hitting poorly, stuck a year beyond Laroche, cost a draft pick.