My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Freese at third or trading for Rockies McMahon prospect or something. Then work from there. Maybe Cabrera at SS as stop gap for Anderson. There's definitely some things we could do. We'll be players for some of the outfielders no doubt.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Freese at third or trading for Rockies McMahon prospect or something. Then work from there. Maybe Cabrera at SS as stop gap for Anderson. There's definitely some things we could do. We'll be players for some of the outfielders no doubt.

McMahon is no closer to the majors as Trey Michalczewski is.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:19 PM)
McMahon is no closer to the majors as Trey Michalczewski is.

I think that's debatable to be honest. Looking at their numbers, McMahon is definitely ready to move up to AA whereas Trey looks like he should start '16 in A+ and go from there. Not knocking Trey but McMahon clearly has an advantage in BA, HR and OBP when comparing their '15 numbers.

Baseball is full of lousy hitters nowadays but sign Zobrist and you know what you are getting -- a pretty good baseball player and grinder. I think he could do for us what Rowand did.

So sign Zobrist for 12 million max. Now we need an outfielder. I'd play Trace in center and trade Eaton and Avi both. I'll let you guys tell me who we can acquire for the outfield. We have to keep Melky cause he's unmovable, so give me Zobrist and now two more outfielders.

Any ideas?

We also desperately need a catcher. Any free agents? Might be worth trading a Rodon or Q in a blockbuster that includes a good catcher.

Why are we trading our second best position player who is both young AND cost-controlled?

Are we honestly expecting to pick up a much better option at SS, 3B or C...for Eaton alone (operating under the assumption you only trade a CFer/leadoff hitter for someone at an even more premium position)?

Then we're also basically going to have to acquire a leadoff hitter from that SS we do bring in (if Alexei doesn't have his option picked up), to replace Eaton.

Why would Ben Zobrist come to the White Sox (besides his local ties) when he would be leaving a history of playing with mostly playoff teams? If David Murphy's going to get $12-13 million, I wouldn't be shocked at all if someone paid Zobrist $30 million for two years.

We've talked about only having $10-20 million (depending on whether we keep Alexei) to spend this off-season. Bringing in Ben Zobrist is something teams like the Yankees, Cubs, Rangers, Red Sox, Angels, Astros, Dodgers, Twins, etc., will want to do, where he's that one extra piece to put them over the top. Same with the idea of him returning to the Royals, especially if they Gordon and Rios are both gone, you would be replacing three positions for next year (they'll have to dump Omar Infante at some point).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
Why are we trading our second best position player who is both young AND cost-controlled?

Are we honestly expecting to pick up a much better option at SS, 3B or C...for Eaton alone (operating under the assumption you only trade a CFer/leadoff hitter for someone at an even more premium position)?

Then we're also basically going to have to acquire a leadoff hitter from that SS we do bring in (if Alexei doesn't have his option picked up), to replace Eaton.

Why would Ben Zobrist come to the White Sox (besides his local ties) when he would be leaving a history of playing with mostly playoff teams? If David Murphy's going to get $12-13 million, I wouldn't be shocked at all if someone paid Zobrist $30 million for two years.

We've talked about only having $10-20 million (depending on whether we keep Alexei) to spend this off-season. Bringing in Ben Zobrist is something teams like the Yankees, Cubs, Rangers, Red Sox, Angels, Astros, Dodgers, Twins, etc., will want to do, where he's that one extra piece to put them over the top. Same with the idea of him returning to the Royals, especially if they Gordon and Rios are both gone, you would be replacing three positions for next year (they'll have to dump Omar Infante at some point).

Reading your post makes me wonder if Sox are at the point they can't compete financially any more. If we can't afford Ben Zobrist, we might as well give up. I mean Sox are not going to contend if they don't improve 4-5 spots in the lineup. That's going to cost $$$s or it's going to mean trading our pitching away and that will leave us with new holes - on the mound. Can the Sox afford to let the Cubs be the only good team in town for 5-6 years?

If 2/$30M is the best offer Zobrist is going to get from other teams then I'll be pretty pissed if the Sox don't offer him 3/$40M.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 01:30 AM)
I feel like anybody we get this off-season is going to disappoint the hell out of us.

We have every right to feel this way, but eventually someone has to work out :unsure:

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
Would anyone be willing to take Papelbon back in a deal for LaRoche? Would this even be something Washington would do or would they just pay Papelbon and release him?

I'd be willing. I'm not sure if Washington would. They absolutely have to get rid of Papelbon and they'd rather make the trade and pay LaRoche than release Papelbon and pay nobody. But I wonder if Papelbon has more value than that.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
I'm confused as to why Washington would rather pay $13M to a guy who had a -1.4 WAR last year than $11M to a guy who had a +0.3 WAR last year.

I read that they have to get rid of him. Even if it means taking back another bad contract in return.

I read that they have to get rid of him. Even if it means taking back another bad contract in return.

From a purely statistical standpoint, LaRoche's contract is worse than Papelbon's. Unless Papelbon is some sort of clubhouse cancer that is negatively affecting other players, that trade would do absolutely nothing for them. It's a trade the Sox should do without hesitation if offered. Worst case scenario, you can always bury a reliever, even an expensive one, at the back of the bullpen. You're pretty much forced to give a substantial number of PA to a big money position player. There's less flexibility.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
From a purely statistical standpoint, LaRoche's contract is worse than Papelbon's. Unless Papelbon is some sort of clubhouse cancer that is negatively affecting other players, that trade would do absolutely nothing for them. It's a trade the Sox should do without hesitation if offered. Worst case scenario, you can always bury a reliever, even an expensive one, at the back of the bullpen. You're pretty much forced to give a substantial number of PA to a big money position player. There's less flexibility.

Oh, he is. But the Nats still don't do that trade.

Oh, he is. But the Nats still don't do that trade.

Then the only workable idea (and this is really a shot in the dark) is find a third team that is so desperate for a cheap bat that they'd pay 1/3 or so of Laroche's salary, send him there, send a lottery ticket from that team to Washington, and Papelbon to the Sox with Washington picking up the other 2/3 of Laroche's salary.

He openly attacked their superstar - they want him out and pure statistical arguments have less sway here. Still some sway, just less.

Fangraphs and B-Ref have conflicting info on what he's getting paid next year ($13 and $11 million, respectively), anyone know the true number there?

He openly attacked their superstar - they want him out and pure statistical arguments have less sway here. Still some sway, just less.

Fangraphs and B-Ref have conflicting info on what he's getting paid next year ($13 and $11 million, respectively), anyone know the true number there?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...gton-nationals/

4 years/$50M (2012-15), plus 2016 vesting option

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 11/14/11

12:$11,000,058, 13-15: $13M annually, 16:$13M vesting option

2016 option guaranteed with 55 games finished in 2015 or 100 games finished in 2014-15

limited no-trade protection (may block deals to 17 clubs)

acquired by Washington in trade from Philadelphia 7/28/15, with Phillies paying $4.5M of $4,830,601 remaining in salary for 2015 and Nationals responsible for the balance

Papelbon agreed to a reduction in the price of the 2016 option from $13M to $11M in exchange for Washington guaranteeing the option immediately ($3M of 2016 salary to be deferred until 2017)

So it appears that he's actually owed $8M in 2016 plus another $3M deferred in 2017.

EDIT: Also just noticed that he can block deals to 17 teams.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)

You mean like the type of teammate who would attack the best player in the National League?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
Lmao, you guys want Papelbon? He's literally the only player in baseball who I don't want on this team purely due to his clubhouse presence. The guy is a cancer.

I would not trade LaRoche for Papelbon. I would rather keep Adam, and bet on a revival.

Exercise Alexei Ramirez $10m option

Sign C Matt Wieters 2y $26m

Sign 3B Jae-Gyun Hwang for 3y $12m + $3m posting

Sign RP Antonio Bastardo for 1y $5m

Trade SP Erik Johnson to Cincinnati Reds for CF Billy Hamilton

1 Adam Eaton L LF

2 Jose Abreu R 1B

3 Matt Wieters S C

4 Jae-Gyun Hwang R 3B

5 Melky Cabrera S DH

6 Trayce Thompson R RF

7 Micah Johnson L 2B

8 Alexei Ramirez R SS

9 Billy Hamilton S CF

BENCH: Tyler Flowers R C, Adam LaRoche L 1B/DH, Avisail Garcia R OF, Tyler Saladino R INF

1 Chris Sale L

2 Jose Quintana L

3 Carlos Rodon L

4 Frank Montas R

5 John Danks L

6/LR: Scott Carroll R

Relievers: Zach Duke L, Dan Jennings L, Nate Jones R, Jake Petricka R

SU: Antonio Bastardo L

CL: David Robertson R

---

I dont know.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
Exercise Alexei Ramirez $10m option

Sign C Matt Wieters 2y $26m

Sign 3B Jae-Gyun Hwang for 3y $12m + $3m posting

Sign RP Antonio Bastardo for 1y $5m

Trade SP Erik Johnson to Cincinnati Reds for CF Billy Hamilton

1 Adam Eaton L LF

2 Jose Abreu R 1B

3 Matt Wieters S C

4 Jae-Gyun Hwang R 3B

5 Melky Cabrera S DH

6 Trayce Thompson R RF

7 Micah Johnson L 2B

8 Alexei Ramirez R SS

9 Billy Hamilton S CF

BENCH: Tyler Flowers R C, Adam LaRoche L 1B/DH, Avisail Garcia R OF, Tyler Saladino R INF

1 Chris Sale L

2 Jose Quintana L

3 Carlos Rodon L

4 Frank Montas R

5 John Danks L

6/LR: Scott Carroll R

Relievers: Zach Duke L, Dan Jennings L, Nate Jones R, Jake Petricka R

SU: Antonio Bastardo L

CL: David Robertson R

---

I dont know.

I like the Johnson for Hamilton trade. Perhaps Hamilton is a guy that just needs a change of scenery.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike