Good Company eh?

Lip Man 1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 01:14 AM)
I love Lip threads because they always work under this insane assumption that the Sox management is somehow purposely trying to lose in order to make a penny. This s*** has been going on for over a dozen years on Sox fansites.

And even past that, are still "fans".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
And even past that, are still "fans".

a nice point.

can anyone imagine on all the sox fans who are no longer here, never seen the sox in the WS let alone win it.

die hard fans.... yeah, they may be biitcing and complaining. but they are still fans.

now think about the fathers of today, bringing up their kids as fans. .... that is great.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
Piece together a coherent thought and I won't be offended on many levels, including my soul.

it is obvious that you really don't have anything intelligent to add so i will leave it ....

get the last word.

The white sox historically are not a very successful organization (especially after the deadball era.. 1905 and 1917 championships). There are records to prove this.

They aren't the worst... but people having higher expectations than "not the worst"

I mean wow are they allowed to?

Edited by harkness

but for me, the sox have had the good luck to have a great core to work with. some teams would have loved to have the sox luck in that part.

the 1990-1994 team was really good and i will leave it at that.

this present team is set to go hog wild, with the right pickups and, i can't help this, but a great or even a good manager.

my only questions to the owners. can't you see this, use your best judgement to do the right thing.

Taylor:

To the best of my knowledge I have never said the Sox are deliberately trying to lose. Now THAT's insane. I have said in the past "money matters more than Championships" to them. And that's probably not true anymore either not with the gigantic sums of money coming into MLB at all levels.

Probably the best description of the organization right now I've heard comes from others, "stale, set in their ways, refuse to change just about anything."

And the bottom line is this, results speak for themselves. The Sox are in a bad position right now in all areas save for financially.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
Taylor:

To the best of my knowledge I have never said the Sox are deliberately trying to lose. Now THAT's insane. I have said in the past "money matters more than Championships" to them. And that's probably not true anymore either not with the gigantic sums of money coming into MLB at all levels.

Probably the best description of the organization right now I've heard comes from others, "stale, set in their ways, refuse to change just about anything."

And the bottom line is this, results speak for themselves. The Sox are in a bad position right now in all areas save for financially.

Mark

Any neagative totally insane White Sox thing you "hear" you run with. Just yesterday the Parent deliberately doing his job poorly to get Ventura's job is INSANE. Who does their job poorly in order to get their boss fired and get them moved into that role?

Stale, set in their ways, seems to refer to your posts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
Taylor:

Mark

looks like you forgot how to use the quote button again lip

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)
despite 2015 having the 2nd highest payroll in sox history.

Speaking of "compare and contrast" which you pointed out later in this thread as a useful thing to do, our "2nd highest payroll in Sox history" was good for only 15th place amongst MLB teams this year, and only a few million ahead of the small market Kansas City Royals. Noodle on that for awhile, why don't you.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
Speaking of "compare and contrast" which you pointed out later in this thread as a useful thing to do, our "2nd highest payroll in Sox history" was good for only 15th place amongst MLB teams this year, and only a few million ahead of the small market Kansas City Royals. Noodle on that for awhile, why don't you.

15th in spending, 26th in attendance.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)

I never said they spent it wisely.

you can question their choices, but they are certainly not "cheap"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)
15th in spending, 26th in attendance.

And still undoubtedly 15-18th in total or overall revenues generated...

When attendance has moved to the 15-25% level for most teams, it's pointless to keep looking at that as the sole indicator and then intimating White Sox fans should neverthless support the spending of millions of dollars on Cabrera (peds), Keppinger, Danks, Dunn, Downs, Belisario, Paulino, Duke, Samardzija, LaRoche, Bonifacio, Beckham, Robertson, etc. When you've made just one really good acquisition in half a decade that was a clear win in Abreu, there's bound to be problems.

Besides, the White Sox had their best team a decade ago with only a $75 million price tag.

They've yet to come close to a .500 record in 2 1/2 years of rebuilding and their top three prospects (Anderson, Fulmer and Montas) all have major question marks attached. In fact, we're closer to the cellar of the AL Central going into 2016 than when we started, so there's basically only Rodon and Fulmer to show for those fatally flawed, difficult to watch past August teams.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
Found this at another location and wanted to share it.

This will be the 7th year in a row the White Sox have missed the postseason.

Out of the 122 professional franchises in the 4 major North American sports, here are the only teams that now have longer postseason droughts than the White Sox:

1.) Buffalo Bills, 15 years

2.) Seattle Mariners, 14 years

3.) Oakland Raiders, 12 years

4.) Cleveland Browns, 12 years

5.) Miami Marlins, 12 years

6.) Minnesota Timberwolves, 11 years

7.) St. Louis Rams, 10 years

8.) Edmonton Oilers, 9 years

9.) Sacramento Kings, 9 years

10.) San Diego Padres, 9 years

11.) Houston Astros*, 9 years (still alive this year.)

Solid company.

And as yet another poster pointed out a lot of the teams on this list play in smaller markets than Chicago. The 3rd largest market in the U.S.

This franchise is in as bad of a shape as the late 60's / mid 70's. Obviously that's not good.

Mark

As a Dolphins fan who lost interest fifteen years ago....you have one Wild Card game loss in 2008 and that's basically it for fifteen years (assuming 0-3 start dooms them again this year).

It's hard to imagine almost thirty years like the Royals, but 15 for the Sox would still be a killer unless that success was sustained for at least 3-5 years (as opposed to a one year or temporary blip).

We'd also get little or no advantage from the new tv contract that will set the Cubs up for another generation financially.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
As a Dolphins fan who lost interest fifteen years ago....you have one Wild Card game loss in 2008 and that's basically it for fifteen years (assuming 0-3 start dooms them again this year).

It's hard to imagine almost thirty years like the Royals, but 15 for the Sox would still be a killer unless that success was sustained for at least 3-5 years (as opposed to a one year or temporary blip).

We'd also get little or no advantage from the new tv contract that will set the Cubs up for another generation financially.

you do know that the cubs and sox negotiate their own contracts for tv, right? theo and tommy boy are banking on the big money of going on their own, but signs point to a burst in the rights bubble. Sox will likely stay on csn with a richer deal, along witht eh hawks and bulls.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:26 AM)
you do know that the cubs and sox negotiate their own contracts for tv, right? theo and tommy boy are banking on the big money of going on their own, but signs point to a burst in the rights bubble. Sox will likely stay on csn with a richer deal, along witht eh hawks and bulls.

Lol - oh yeah? What "signs"? What "signs point to a burst in the rights bubble" the Cubs are pursuing? And while you're at it, do tell how on god's green earth the next Sox deal on CSN will somehow be "richer" than the one the Cubs are on target to achieve? I mean, if anything, the way things are going, Theo and Tommy are getting set to leave Jerry & Club Loyalty in their dust with the next set of TV deals, not the other way around.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:39 AM)
Lol - oh yeah? What "signs"? What "signs point to a burst in the rights bubble" the Cubs are pursuing? And while you're at it, do tell how on god's green earth the next Sox deal on CSN will somehow be "richer" than the one the Cubs are on target to achieve? I mean, if anything, the way things are going, Theo and Tommy are getting set to leave Jerry & Club Loyalty in their dust with the next set of TV deals, not the other way around.

I read articles talking about just that

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:39 AM)

Well the Dodgers' TV deal has turned out to be a big fiasco with all the people that can't even watch them in LA.