Mark Buehrle to retire?

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
I agree. Plus, I am so sick about hearing about JR and the loyalty crap, if Buehrle or AJP or Uribe came back and sucked, which father time is making more likely by the hour, it would be in full force.

I understand wanting Buerhle back based on his numbers, but 4 cortisone shots, left off the postseason roster, should speak volumes.

I really hope that the White Sox management isn't spending a lot of time worrying about what message board posters have to say about how to run the franchise. That would be the one way I would completely give up on this organization.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Given his struggles to end the season and injury flare ups I'm a bit worried about depending on him. I know he's been Mr. Consistency, but that's not gonna last forever. I'd hate to find out the hard way just to make JR and the fans happy.

It isn't about making anyone happy. It is about a realistic target that could help the team win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
I really hope that the White Sox management isn't spending a lot of time worrying about what message board posters have to say about how to run the franchise. That would be the one way I would completely give up on this organization.

I never said they did, and like you, hope they would never, but there is something going on with Buerhle's shoulder.

I think it's likely given his age, miles and apparent less than stellar shoulder, a drop off is extremely likely. He supposedly hasn't decided if he even wants to play. I doubt Levine's report of him retiring was based on nothing.

At this point, his past doesn't matter. I agree with the post that basically said if Buehrle never was a White Sox he wouldn't be a consideration. Of course his being a White Sox is probably the only reason he would be a White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)

I am in complete agreement with you on Mark Buerhle. He can still pitch and would be an A+ guy in the clubhouse and around the other pitchers in particular

Do the Sox plan on trying to compete next year? If so, I think you gotta do better than Mark. If not, he's perfect to bridge the gap to Fulmer.

I love Mark, but when you look at his 2nd half(an xFIP near 5), I don't think you can rely on him if you're trying to contend. Especially if 2 other parts are John Danks and an unknown in EJ.

Still rebuilding? I'm fine with trading Q and going Sale-Rodon-Buehrle-EJ-Danks.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
I am in complete agreement with you on Mark Buerhle. He can still pitch and would be an A+ guy in the clubhouse and around the other pitchers in particular

If we get Buehrle we'll have to somehow get rid of Danks. Way way too many lefties already. I would hate to see Mark get ripped to shreds on this board if his shoulder has fallen apart and he sucks. I only want him if he's as good as this year's Buehrle.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
Mark Buehrle has not retired yet, according to his agent, Jeff Berry, who is at GM meetings. Still possible Buehrle pitches in 2016.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/663773659639767040

Any chance the Sox bring him back on a one-year deal so he finishes his career where it all started?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
Buehrle to the Cardinals makes so much more sense

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
With Lynn out for 16, totally.

I think there is at least a semi-realistic chance that Lackey accepts his qualifying offer. If he does they already have 5 starters under contract.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
Does Sullivan realize that a "Konerko-style farewell" is not a desirable thing?

If he wants to sign a 1 day contract to retire with the White Sox, fine. If he wants to continue to pitch, the White Sox can only consider option if they think he can give them a solid year AND they make a a trade involving one of their starting pitchers. If not, a team like the Cardinals make more sense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 01:43 AM)
I'd be all for trading 2-3 of our lefties and bringing Mark back. Or like I said make Danks a lefty reliever. Teams with four lefty starters DO NOT win pennants.

Neither do teams that trade away guys like Sale, Quintana and Rodon for Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 01:43 AM)
I'd be all for trading 2-3 of our lefties and bringing Mark back. Or like I said make Danks a lefty reliever. Teams with four lefty starters DO NOT win pennants.

Quintana has pretty even lefty/righty splits for his career and a couple years he's even had reverse splits where he was better against righties. Who cares what arm you throw with if you can get both lefties and righties out evenly?