Mark Buehrle to retire?

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
This proves that Jamie Moyer was the last of the guys able to pitch forever, as well as LaTroy Hawkins. I mean Mark has never been on DL, has that smooth motion and is done at 36? Poor pitchers. Their arms just can't take the stress. 36 is not old compared to some of the dudes of the past.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:47 PM)
This is a no brainer. Sign Mark Buehrle. One year and an option at 5.5 mill a year.

You changed your mind in less than 2 hours.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:20 AM)
If Bruce Levine is reporting he's retiring, Buehrle has no choice. One thing I noticed watching the "highlights" of his last start, he certainly hasn't missed too many meals lately. Buehrle is getting really big.

Who cares? You don't have to be in supreme shape to be a pitcher.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 01:58 AM)
He's worth more than that at his age?

$5.5 million is a good bench or decent middle relief pitcher these days not a starter who puts up a sub 4.00 ERA with around 200 innings. According to Fangraphs Buehrle was worth roughly $16.8 million this year. If Buehrle plays another season, which I don't expect, somebody will be willing to give him a 1 year, $10-$12 million contract. If the Sox could move Danks without eating salary I would love to have Buehrle back but you're not going to get him for $5.5 million.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 07:53 AM)
Supposedly, Buehrle had 4 cortisone shots into his shoulder this season. Chances are, he's hanging them up.

Hmmm.. He's probably going to see if he needs surgery this offseason or not. If he does.. might make sense for him just to retire hence the whole "Decision in the offseason" plan.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
$5.5 million is a good bench or decent middle relief pitcher these days not a starter who puts up a sub 4.00 ERA with around 200 innings. According to Fangraphs Buehrle was worth roughly $16.8 million this year. If Buehrle plays another season, which I don't expect, somebody will be willing to give him a 1 year, $10-$12 million contract. If the Sox could move Danks without eating salary I would love to have Buehrle back but you're not going to get him for $5.5 million.

Yes, but the perception now is the new Buehrle is done. He's not even on the playoff roster which is a total slap in the face. I hope the Royals don't give him that deal. I'd hate to see him mow down our lousy lineup 4-6 times a year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
Yes, but the perception now is the new Buehrle is done. He's not even on the playoff roster which is a total slap in the face. I hope the Royals don't give him that deal. I'd hate to see him mow down our lousy lineup 4-6 times a year.

If he's done he's not getting anything. If he can prove he's healthy he'll get a good deal. He's not on the ALDS roster but we'll see what happens if they make it to the ALCS. In the ALDS you only need 3 starters and right now he's there 4th or 5th.

Is it possible for you to enter a single conversation without bringing the Royals up? It's clear that you're obsessed with them. You could have said the Tigers, Twins or Indians but of course you chose the Royals. I'm sure there is a good Royals message board you can go to if you want to talk about your favorite team all the time.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 08:45 PM)
Is it possible for you to enter a single conversation without bringing the Royals up? It's clear that you're obsessed with them. You could have said the Tigers, Twins or Indians but of course you chose the Royals. I'm sure there is a good Royals message board you can go to if you want to talk about your favorite team all the time.

Whatever. The Royals happen to own the White Sox and I despise losing 80 percent of our games to them every year. Of course you make a good point. Minnie, Cleveland and Detroit own the White Sox as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
Whatever. The Royals happen to own the White Sox and I despise losing 80 percent of our games to them every year. Of course you make a good point. Minnie, Cleveland and Detroit own the White Sox as well.

We certainly do have issues in divisional games, and the Royals have had our number for a few years, but we've gone 18-20 against Detroit the last two seasons (not exactly "ownage" by the Tigers) and we had a winning record against Cleveland this year. The Indians have won the season series against the White Sox all of 1 time since 2008 (granted, they did it in dominating fashion, 17-2!).

Edited by OmarComing25

Rank Mark wherever you like on the all time lists. What I believe we all can agree on is his approach to the game, his personality, work ethic, and class was first rate and I'm glad he was a Sox player. Every sport needs guys like Buehrle.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
If Mark Buehrle is not hurt, and genuinely is interested in still pitching, it certainly is not time for him to retire. He pitched well enough to be a 4/5 starter on pretty much any team in the league this past season.

He's gassed. His arm can't take it anymore.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
Thanks for the update Dr. Abreu. What did Buehrle say when you gave him this diagnosis?

I'd say the facts that he got 4+ cortisone shots this year and completely faded since August would support my post.

A guy who never spent a day on the DL and still hasn't, had some shoulder problems towards the end of the season and everyone is saying he is done? He had 15 wins and an E.R.A under 4. Mark had 2 bad months. He may retire and he very well may not have nothing left. But it is just as likely that he suffered his first real injury in his career that affected his throwing.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
A guy who never spent a day on the DL and still hasn't, had some shoulder problems towards the end of the season and everyone is saying he is done? He had 15 wins and an E.R.A under 4. Mark had 2 bad months. He may retire and he very well may not have nothing left. But it is just as likely that he suffered his first real injury in his career that affected his throwing.

Agreed. He'll have the entire offseason now to rest and heal. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't pitching somewhere next year, unless he just doesn't want to do it anymore. Surely some team would want him.