2015 Wild Card Games

flavum

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 03:59 AM)
Short of making a Donaldson-esque trade, there's nothing the Sox can do to drastically become a 2016 WS contender. The Cubs winning the WS may make the FO more determined, but it's not like there are that many available players who could actually improve our team.

Great post, it's not like Cubs winning would cause JR to spend a ton this offseason.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lord chas @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
Pirates had their chances did not capitalize

That double play ball with the bases loaded and one out was essentially the game ender.

These two Wild Card games have been about as exciting as those old Johnny Bench krylon paint commercials. It's just not going to happen every year. Can't be forced.

And, in baseball, there tend to be more interesting and surprising series in the post-season than turkey/lemon games that are complete blowouts in the NFL.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 04:02 AM)
Spend a ton on what? You didn't get the meaning of my post. This is a very unattractive FA class.

I agreed with your post. Just saying Cubs winning wouldn't make JR decided to spend 180 million on Price.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
Great post, it's not like Cubs winning would cause JR to spend a ton this offseason.

Therein lies the problem.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Except that doesn't work very well in baseball. In fact, the troubling "other side of the coin" is that a Cubs' World Series win would "force" the White Sox to respond somehow and it would end up crippling the franchise more (taking on a huge contract like Heyward, for example)...or dealing Quintana and getting the equivalents of Matt Davidson/Nestor Molina back in return, instead of Adam Eaton or Carlos Quentin.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:04 PM)
I agreed with your post. Just saying Cubs winning wouldn't make JR decided to spend 180 million on Price.

You say you agree but I sense sarcasm.

Anyway, yeah, there's Price/Cueto/Heyward, but I highly doubt we go after them regardless of how the Cubs do.

BTW, what the Sox need to do is stop performing patch work. They need to do a full on rebuild with someone other than Kenny and IMO, other than Hahn and their current scouts. Clean house, built it correct. Problem is, they've already taken like 2 or 3 years building it wrong. Any FAs you sign should be either cheap scrapheap guys or people you intend on flipping at the deadline. Stay the course regardless of what fans say. You have to.

Otherwise, pull a Yankees and buy the best players either in trades or elsewhere. Trot out a lineup of:

Eaton

Cabrera

Cespedes

Gonzalez

Abreu

Frazier

Kendrick

Ramirez

Castro

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 03:08 AM)
You say you agree but I sense sarcasm.

Anyway, yeah, there's Price/Cueto/Heyward, but I highly doubt we go after them regardless of how the Cubs do.

100 pct honest I was going to post something similar but caulfields post was too long for me to want to quote

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)
BTW, what the Sox need to do is stop performing patch work. They need to do a full on rebuild with someone other than Kenny and IMO, other than Hahn and their current scouts. Clean house, built it correct. Problem is, they've already taken like 2 or 3 years building it wrong. Any FAs you sign should be either cheap scrapheap guys or people you intend on flipping at the deadline. Stay the course regardless of what fans say. You have to.

Otherwise, pull a Yankees and buy the best players either in trades or elsewhere. Trot out a lineup of:

Eaton

Cabrera

Cespedes

Gonzalez

Abreu

Frazier

Kendrick

Ramirez

Castro

They arent going to go with a full rebuild. Jerry would fire whoever brings that up before it starts this year. Pretty obvious they have to go for it. They dont have a choice. Now maybe if it doesnt go right then yeah. But not in 2016.

Ok now they're just on equal footing with the rest of the NL playoff teams, except now they can't use Arrieta Game 1. Not sure what the point of having him go 9 innings was, you were up 4 and you're going to need him again, and he's already pitched 60 more innings than he ever has in a season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
Wouldn't it have to go from 20% (5 teams) to 25%, 4 teams?

12.5% would be the chance of any of the 8 remaining teams winning it all, if all things were equal (which they're not, since the Wild Card teams sacrifice one start from their ace in the Division Series).

It's telling that White Sox fans are more excited hoping for the Cubs to lose (myself included) than actually excited about our own team over the last 4-6 weeks, but it is what it is.

Honestly, with how bad things have gotten...maybe some additional suffering in the form of the Cubs winning the World Series might finally wake up someone at 35th and Shields to the reality of the situation. Like most, they're probably counting on the Cubs somehow being cursed or blowing this thing. There's certainly no guarantee that will happen, not when you have a young team that doesn't care about what has happened in the past and just kind of shrugs like high school students do when you talk about the 1960's when they only care about the latest computer game, iphone, ipad, etc. If it didn't happen in their lifetime, the players often aren't aware, even of icons like Ernie Banks, Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams, and gasp, Ron Santo.

That's what I thought at first, but it's not really correct. The odds of you reaching the World Series if you make the division series is 1/4 (25%). The odds of a Wild Card team making the divisional series is 1/2. It's a simple and statement.

Odds of reaching the World Series from the DS x the odds of making the DS = 25% x 50% or 12.5%

Cut that in half and that's their chances of winning the world series.

Now that the Cubs have beaten the Pirates, their chances have doubled.

Even if all things aren't even, they have increased significantly the chances of them reaching and winning the world series.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)

Eaton

Cabrera

Cespedes

Gonzalez

Abreu

Frazier

Kendrick

Ramirez

Castro

For all the broken record comments I get, I have ACTUALLY been broken recording this for a long time. The Sox need a complete rebuild and there is no good reason not to rebuild.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 04:13 AM)
For all the broken record comments I get, I have ACTUALLY been broken recording this for a long time. The Sox need a complete rebuild and there is no good reason not to rebuild.

Absolutely there is. You have 3 potential aces on your roster for very cheap. Could be a long time before you get one pitcher as good as any of the big 3. It's not like sox have contracts that will cripple them the next 4 years.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:05 PM)
F the Cardinals and Cubs. Worst series ever in terms of rooting interest

+1. As much as I don't want the Cubs to advance, it's getting quite boring seeing the damn Cardinals in the NLCS every year.