MLBTradeRumors Offseason Outlook

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)
I'll take Option C, which you didn't offer up but I'm taking it anyway, which is to have that wonderful WS championship experience of '05, AND take advantage of the new playoff system of recent years and maybe have had 2-3 more playoff appearances since '05 as well. Now I'm not greedy, mind you - I'm not saying I expected 2-3 more WS championships. That would, of course, be silly. But just step into that postseason more frequently than we have so we can have some freakin' FUN, for chrissakes. It is NOT fun to have to watch as many meaningless games in our empty ballpark in September and then NONE in October like we've had to do for practically the last decade.

So it's not an either/or proposition, the Sox' experience of the past decade vs. that of the Tigers. I'll take the '05 experience, with just a little more white sock waving opportunities in October than we've been provided in the last decade. I don't think that's too much to ask!

Says the guy who once posted the only way a season could be exciting is if the Sox won the WS.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
Says the guy who once posted the only way a season could be exciting is if the Sox won the WS.

That would be a complete falsehood, Kind Sir. I have never, ever said anything of the sort. This is the second time you've accused me of saying something I didn't, most recently some silliness about me once saying I was going to take my business to the north side of town. That, too, gets filed in the "I have never, ever" category. You ought to really be sure of what you are saying before you say it. This is starting to get a bit reckless on your part. Just sayin'!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
That would be a complete falsehood, Kind Sir. I have never, ever said anything of the sort. This is the second time you've accused me of saying something I didn't, most recently some silliness about me once saying I was going to take my business to the north side of town. That, too, gets filed in the "I have never, ever" category. You ought to really be sure of what you are saying before you say it. This is starting to get a bit reckless on your part. Just sayin'!

Yes you did. You said they have had 1 exciting season in 35 years.

And you have said you were going to give up your fan card. I guess you find whining about JR more attractive than rooting for a winning team.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
I agree with you. General consensus seems to be that the Sox buried themselves for the next few years by "going for it" in 2015, but I don't think that's the case at all. I liked the moves they made almost solely because they DIDN'T bury themselves. Offering high dollar/low years free agent contracts, trading only mid-tier prospects exclusively from positions of depth, and continually increasing (or at least maintaining) investment levels in amateur talent despite the ML payroll increase are about the best possible strategies for building a sustained winner without nuking the entire system and turning Bridgeport into a post-apocalyptic wasteland for five years in the process.

Sensible comment displaying ability to hold two thoughts in head at same time. What is it doing on this site?

Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee for Bartolo Colon

The Rangers' net when they dealt Tex to the Braves.

The Royals had much less control remaining with Greinke and got back two All-Stars in Cain and Escobar.

Etc.

Not every trade has to work out like the Sabathia one to Mil or Halladay to the Phils...

If there's so little confidence in this front office to execute a trade, sign a FA or develop a hitter effectively, why are they still gainfully employed?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
Sensible comment displaying ability to hold two thoughts in head at same time. What is it doing on this site?

Two years being the key point.

Pushed back being able to compete by one full year and lots of financial flexibility removed for next season due to LaRoche and Cabrera. Money wasted on Bonifacio and Beckham as well. Uncertainty over Duke and Robertson but both have bigger contracts for relievers. Garcia and Flowers are borderline starters at best. 3b especially has nobody viable.

If we keep Alexei, having roughly $5-10 million to spend this offseason makes it impossible without hitting on one huge trade or 2-3 smaller ones that break perfectly like 2004-05. And it also requires Tim Anderson being a better than average major leaguer, along with two of Johnson, Fulmer and Montas.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 06:16 PM)
Yes you did. You said they have had 1 exciting season in 35 years.

And you have said you were going to give up your fan card. I guess you find whining about JR more attractive than rooting for a winning team.

Lol - oh, c'mon. What are you doing here. You are twisting words left and right. First you say I said " the only way a season could be exciting is if the Sox won the WS", and then you clarify that by saying that I said the Sox " have had 1 exciting season in 35 years". You do realize that's two completely different statements, don't you? The first is, as I already mentioned, something I've never, ever said. I've never said that the only way a season could be exciting is if the Sox won the WS. Never, ever, and I'll eat my hat if you can go back and find a quote where I said such a dumb thing. (Don't worry, dear Hat of mine - you are in no danger!)

As for the second quote about the one good season in the past 35, under the Reinsdorf regime, I certainly did assert that there has only been one truly exciting season during Reinsdorf's horrific reign as owner, that of course being '05. The other 34 years - only four playoff appearances with only four playoff wins among all four. That's not very exciting at all, now is it. Obviously there was excitement in the anticipation leading up to those playoff appearances, but those were quickly squashed by the results (particularly the 0-3 sweep by the Mariners in '00 and the 1-3 quick in & out against the Rays in '08). I could soften my stance a little bit, I guess, and say '83 was exciting, since it was the first trip to the postseason in 24 years at that point, even if we were outscored 18-1 in those final three games. But all in all, '05 was truly the only showing worthy of note during the past 35 years. No doubt about it!

Finally, the only one really "whining", "moaning", and/or "complaining" around here is you, ironically enough. Seems to be your go-to option when you can't argue a point that you want to. If you don't agree with someone's criticism of Reinsdorf, or Williams, or whatever, just say it. Provide evidence or suggestions to the contrary. But don't throw down with the weak name calling. That's not interesting in any aspect.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 06:44 PM)
Lol - oh, c'mon. What are you doing here. You are twisting words left and right. First you say I said " the only way a season could be exciting is if the Sox won the WS", and then you clarify that by saying that I said the Sox " have had 1 exciting season in 35 years". You do realize that's two completely different statements, don't you? The first is, as I already mentioned, something I've never, ever said. I've never said that the only way a season could be exciting is if the Sox won the WS. Never, ever, and I'll eat my hat if you can go back and find a quote where I said such a dumb thing. (Don't worry, dear Hat of mine - you are in no danger!)

As for the second quote about the one good season in the past 35, under the Reinsdorf regime, I certainly did assert that there has only been one truly exciting season during Reinsdorf's horrific reign as owner, that of course being '05. The other 34 years - only four playoff appearances with only four playoff wins among all four. That's not very exciting at all, now is it. Obviously there was excitement in the anticipation leading up to those playoff appearances, but those were quickly squashed by the results (particularly the 0-3 sweep by the Mariners in '00 and the 1-3 quick in & out against the Rays in '08). I could soften my stance a little bit, I guess, and say '83 was exciting, since it was the first trip to the postseason in 24 years at that point, even if we were outscored 18-1 in those final three games. But all in all, '05 was truly the only showing worthy of note during the past 35 years. No doubt about it!

Finally, the only one really "whining", "moaning", and/or "complaining" around here is you, ironically enough. Seems to be your go-to option when you can't argue a point that you want to. If you don't agree with someone's criticism of Reinsdorf, or Williams, or whatever, just say it. Provide evidence or suggestions to the contrary. But don't throw down with the weak name calling. That's not interesting in any aspect.

You have made my point. You can't tell if a season is exciting or not until the playoffs are over. Too bad you missed out on some fun times. 1983, 1990,1993, 1994 until the strike, 2000, 2006 was fun for a good while, 2008, the Blackout game was a joy, 2010 when they had a really hot stretch. There were some good times in other seasons as well. 2012 being in first place unexpectedly most of the season, 2003 first place in the middle of September, 2004, a great team until Maggs and The Big Hurt went down, too bad you didn't find those exciting.

But keep on mentioning those 35 years. Start another thread about how you are going to choose a new team, then post the same tired post the next 6 months about JR and his 35 year reign of terror.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)
You have made my point. You can't tell if a season is exciting or not until the playoffs are over. Too bad you missed out on some fun times. 1983, 1990,1993, 1994 until the strike, 2000, 2006 was fun for a good while, 2008, the Blackout game was a joy, 2010 when they had a really hot stretch. There were some good times in other seasons as well. 2012 being in first place unexpectedly most of the season, 2003 first place in the middle of September, 2004, a great team until Maggs and The Big Hurt went down, too bad you didn't find those exciting.

But keep on mentioning those 35 years. Start another thread about how you are going to choose a new team, then post the same tired post the next 6 months about JR and his 35 year reign of terror.

LOL - well the next time I start a thread about choosing a new team will be my first, but hey! Don't let facts get in the way of you whining about something you can't argue against. In the meantime, why don't you go start your own thread about how you are going to choose a new team, and let us know how that works out for you.

And thanks for proving the point that so many of the rest of us have made about what really defines an exciting season. If you are going to put seasons like 2006, 2010, 2003, and 2004 on par with the excitement that's going on now as we speak with the teams in the playoffs, well, I don't know what to tell you. Next thing you'll be citing the various "fun" winning streaks we've had throughout the years, too. Woo hoo! Meanwhile, I wonder how many Cardinals, or Yankees, or Giants, or Braves fans, etc, when asked to name their exciting seasons, have to settle for naming seasons that they failed to make the playoffs in. I can understand why you would, given the dearth of playoff action in these past 35 years of Reinsdorf's failure as owner of the White Sox.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
I agree with you. General consensus seems to be that the Sox buried themselves for the next few years by "going for it" in 2015, but I don't think that's the case at all. I liked the moves they made almost solely because they DIDN'T bury themselves. Offering high dollar/low years free agent contracts, trading only mid-tier prospects exclusively from positions of depth, and continually increasing (or at least maintaining) investment levels in amateur talent despite the ML payroll increase are about the best possible strategies for building a sustained winner without nuking the entire system and turning Bridgeport into a post-apocalyptic wasteland for five years in the process.

I think the problem with the 2015 moves is they did not upgrade any position with young talent.I agree they failed w the veterans they added but did not incur bad contracts. So 2015 was really a wasted year in that from a rebuilding standpoint, they did not improve. In hindsight, it is unfortunate that they couldn't have filled at least 1 or 2 holes with a talented young player. Maybe Sanchez has a chance to be that but his offense so far has been poor. We can also still hope Avi rebounds but that hope is running out. The good news is Q and Rodon improved and Sale is still a star.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
I'll take Option C, which you didn't offer up but I'm taking it anyway, which is to have that wonderful WS championship experience of '05, AND take advantage of the new playoff system of recent years and maybe have had 2-3 more playoff appearances since '05 as well. Now I'm not greedy, mind you - I'm not saying I expected 2-3 more WS championships. That would, of course, be silly. But just step into that postseason more frequently than we have so we can have some freakin' FUN, for chrissakes. It is NOT fun to have to watch as many meaningless games in our empty ballpark in September and then NONE in October like we've had to do for practically the last decade.

So it's not an either/or proposition, the Sox' experience of the past decade vs. that of the Tigers. I'll take the '05 experience, with just a little more white sock waving opportunities in October than we've been provided in the last decade. I don't think that's too much to ask!

Well said.

Mark

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
LOL - well the next time I start a thread about choosing a new team will be my first, but hey! Don't let facts get in the way of you whining about something you can't argue against. In the meantime, why don't you go start your own thread about how you are going to choose a new team, and let us know how that works out for you.

And thanks for proving the point that so many of the rest of us have made about what really defines an exciting season. If you are going to put seasons like 2006, 2010, 2003, and 2004 on par with the excitement that's going on now as we speak with the teams in the playoffs, well, I don't know what to tell you. Next thing you'll be citing the various "fun" winning streaks we've had throughout the years, too. Woo hoo! Meanwhile, I wonder how many Cardinals, or Yankees, or Giants, or Braves fans, etc, when asked to name their exciting seasons, have to settle for naming seasons that they failed to make the playoffs in. I can understand why you would, given the dearth of playoff action in these past 35 years of Reinsdorf's failure as owner of the White Sox.

Point taken but I don't like the implication that all non-playoff seasons are the same.

2006, 2010, 2003, 2004, and 2012 are still >>>>>>>>> 2007, 2013, and 2014 in terms of excitement.

reading the exchange of a couple of good posters, it brought up a very interesting subject, and it alot about myself and really got me thinking.

this is for all, no snarky intentions or petty bs. i am being honest.

what will the avg sox fan considers a good season???

now i will start this, the winning ugly season was great....

the early 90's when it came close. and of course the WS season.

so as i was in the 30's making a game of the season and enjoying the excitement at the park. 83 was a great yr.

the yrs of having a great team and me biitching about if only management would have gotten 1 more player. those yrs of being close.

no need to say anything of the WS season, even thou i had my first heart attack and operation during the playoff.

but now, i guess it really depends on life experience of the fan. i want nothing less than to make the playoff with a good team. individual players winning awards.

your next........

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 06:44 PM)

You think this years teams making their league championship series are exciting, yet when the White Sox made their league championship series in 1983, 1993, not exciting. I guess the difference is I can watch something and immediately enjoy it. Apparently you need 6 months and final results to see if you enjoyed it or not. Not surprising.

Too bad the Rangers season could have been exciting, but 3 consecutive errors ruined everything, therefore a dull season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
huh?

If we had held our bullets until this offseason, we wouldnt be forced to pass on Heyward, Gordon, Cespedes, Zobrist, Wieters, Chris Davis, etc.

Now we're stuck with second and third tier options, especially on the infield (Desmond, Asdrubal Cabrera, etc.) The odds of finishing higher than 4th in the ALCD are pretty darned low barring major changes in personnel.

If we hadn't spent prematurely, we theoretically could have added Zobrist, Wieters and another bat like Gordon to have a really interesting team this coming season. But instead they're going to be lucky to get Parra, Pearce or Rasmus...and probably won't make another move since they're stuck with Avi, LaRoche and Cabrera.

They also should have foreseen Rodon with his control issues wasn't going to slash and burn through the AL like one of the Mets' young phenoms.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
If we had held our bullets until this offseason, we wouldnt be forced to pass on Heyward, Gordon, Cespedes, Zobrist, Wieters, Chris Davis, etc.

Now we're stuck with second and third tier options, especially on the infield (Desmond, Asdrubal Cabrera, etc.) The odds of finishing higher than 4th in the ALCD are pretty darned low barring major changes in personnel.

If we hadn't spent prematurely, we theoretically could have added Zobrist, Wieters and another bat like Gordon to have a really interesting team this coming season. But instead they're going to be lucky to get Parra, Pearce or Rasmus...and probably won't make another move since they're stuck with Avi, LaRoche and Cabrera.

They also should have foreseen Rodon with his control issues wasn't going to slash and burn through the AL like one of the Mets' young phenoms.

but the one unknown factor in this, which no one is saying. the JR factor. he wanted another WS before .... well you know the rest. so i wonder how much of an input he had to go all in last yr??? was he wrong????

i personally thing he was not wrong. did it all worked out, nah.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)

I'm honestly fine with adding Freese, AC and an impact bat through trade. Maybe even signing Wieters. He isn't getting a McCann type deal.

Freese would just be another placeholder, though. We might as well get Uribe back just for sentimentality. He could also double as the bench coach, saving JR some cash.

They need real potential impact bats, not complementary players. Like Puig. Cargo's at the point with all his injuries you can't wait until 2017 and project him to still be healthy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
Freese would just be another placeholder, though. We might as well get Uribe back just for sentimentality. He could also double as the bench coach, saving JR some cash.

They need real potential impact bats, not complementary players. Like Puig. Cargo's at the point with all his injuries you can't wait until 2017 and project him to still be healthy.

While I agree with the placeholder comment, I'm not so sure Q is gone. It's going to be a big trade if he's moved. Maybe Q for CarGo and McMahon or something like Q for Puig in some kind of package with prospects involved for both teams.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
While I agree with the placeholder comment, I'm not so sure Q is gone. It's going to be a big trade if he's moved. Maybe Q for CarGo and McMahon or something like Q for Puig in some kind of package with prospects involved for both teams.

You know how much I like the idea of trading Q but if the Dodgers offered Puig and Barnes, I'd have a difficult time saying no. :)

Problem is that I have no idea who replaces Q in the rotation with Montas and Fulmer needing time in the minors.