Byung-ho Park bidding rights won by Twins, $12.85 m

southsider2k5

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The agent for Byung-ho Park, Alan Nero, told Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he does not know which MLB team won the bidding for his client.

FOX Sports' CJ Nitkowski tweeted Monday morning that it was the Pirates, but that quickly got shot down by multiple veteran news-breakers, including ESPN's Buster Olney and Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The team that placed the blind winning bid for Park (at $12.85 million) should be revealed soon in order to begin the 30-day contract negotiating process. So far the Bucs, Mariners, Red Sox, Rangers, Cardinals, Orioles, Indians, Tigers, Yankees, Royals, Athletics, Braves, Blue Jays, Angels, Mets, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Marlins, and Padres have been ruled out. Park, a 29-year-old first baseman, hit .343/.436/.714 with 53 home runs and 146 RBI in 140 games this past year for the Nexen Heroes of the Korea Baseball Organization.

Related: Pirates

Source: Travis Sawchik on TwitterNov 9 - 8:44 AM

I don't know why you guys are saying that the Brewers and Phillies don't make sense -- this is exactly that type of upside play that rebuilding teams SHOULD make. It's really no different than us getting Abreu. The guy is only 29. If we can cut LaRoche, the Phillies can cut Howard.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
I know the Brewers are rebuilding, but I don't think that rules them out. They can always trade Lind (to us), and I seem to remember a rebuilding team signing an expensive, foreign first baseman in the 2013-2014 offseason...

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
I don't know why you guys are saying that the Brewers and Phillies don't make sense -- this is exactly that type of upside play that rebuilding teams SHOULD make. It's really no different than us getting Abreu. The guy is only 29. If we can cut LaRoche, the Phillies can cut Howard.

:cheers

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Those are valid points except this guy is 29. Abreu was 2 years younger.

Still could be part of a core moving forward, or trade bait. If he is good, chances are he is going to be a bargain. A year or 2 down the line you could move him for some rebuilding pieces.

The thing is, if he is anywhere near as effective as he was in Korea, there isn't a team in baseball that couldn't use him.