Alex Gordon

Y2Jimmy0

It's fine, except for the fact Frazier is only under control for two more years.

So you're back in that pattern of acquiring NL players coming off, let's say questionable....statistical performances in the second half of preceding seasons.

More importantly, you absolutely have to know your prospects inside and out because trading Montas, Adams, Hawkins and Johnson isn't something you can do unless you're 100% all in at the other positions.

Frazier alone doesn't do anything but deplete our minor leagues. You also have problems or uncertainty at five other positions. Assuming Ramirez and LaRoche return in their roles, you'd have to commit to improving one outfield spot, 2b, catcher, one more veteran starter at the back end of the rotation and your bench.

That's just way too much money on the FA market, and you've just traded most of your minor leaguers and you're not dealing Anderson and Fulmer, so you're essentially doubling down on the 2015 disaster.

I don't think Hahn is willing to risk his job with that set of moves. Too high risk.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
Even if he was to leave the Royals, why would he have any desire to come to the Sox? I know money talks, but between the Royals, the Cubs, and the Sox, which team would you be more compelled to sign with from an organization standpoint?

Yankees.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
Even if he was to leave the Royals, why would he have any desire to come to the Sox? I know money talks, but between the Royals, the Cubs, and the Sox, which team would you be more compelled to sign with from an organization standpoint?

Money wins out 99% of the time.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)
:lol: I know right? Plus they were a playoff team

Correction, I should have said NLCS. The cubs make a whole lot of sense since they are going to lose Jackson and Fowler from the OF. Plus its been rumored they might try to deal Montero in order to give Schwarber a shot at C. The cubs will have a hole or two to fill in the OF so them going after Gordon wouldn't surprise me in the least. If I had to guess, it would be the cubs.

Short porch in RF.

Hello, Yankee Stadium. They would really love him there, he has the competitiveness and drive of Paul O'Neill but not hateworthy.

Yankee fans love winners.

If Alex hits lots of home runs, he'll be liked.

But he's not homegrown/farm (like Jeter).

So....you don't know what you're talking about (again).

NY would probably "love" him like they "love" their catcher...Brian McCann that "everyone loves"

If you walked around the city and asked people who the catcher of the Yankees is, 1/2 will tell you "Derek Jeter" and the other half will tell you they don't know or Jorge Pasada.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)

NY would probably "love" him like they "love" their catcher...Brian McCann that "everyone loves"

If you walked around the city and asked people who the catcher of the Yankees is, 1/2 will tell you "Derek Jeter" and the other half will tell you they don't know or Jorge Pasada.

Yankees fans aren't Cubs fans. They are a fairly loyal and knowledgeable base. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)

Juuuuuuust a bit of irony in the bolded.

Yankees fans know their lineup and their team's history. To say otherwise is foolish.

If the Cubs signed Gordon to play LF, wouldn't that just about seal Schwarber's fate? Does anyone really think he can stick as a catcher?

I like that one proposal I read to trade Schwarber to Oakland for Sonny Gray. The A's get set at DH for the next decade, and the Cubs have an easy #1/2 under team control through 2020.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
If the Cubs signed Gordon to play LF, wouldn't that just about seal Schwarber's fate? Does anyone really think he can stick as a catcher?

I like that one proposal I read to trade Schwarber to Oakland for Sonny Gray. The A's get set at DH for the next decade, and the Cubs have an easy #1/2 under team control through 2020.

Are they offering more than a DH who is going into his second year?

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)

That's a terrible trade for Oakland.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 02:47 AM)
Money wins out 99% of the time.

You are probably right. I'm just trying to figure out how the Sox are the only team that get hometown discounts. Paulie and Mark Buehlre before the Sox made it clear (foolishly) they didn't want Mark any more. If ever a hometown discount made sense it would be Alex Gordon and the Royals. He's one of those guys who are the face of a franchise like Minoso/Banks/Ripken/Tulo (oh wait Tulo got shipped out).

As far as Gordon, two comments. 1.) If he does leave for the highest offer, good for him. He better keep producing cause in KC he'd be a George Brett/Len Dawson figure forever. He'd be shown so much love the next 40 years of his life it'd make his head spin (provided KC wraps up the series). The Royals obviously will not be able to match 25-30 million a year. I bet they'd go as high as 18 million. So I guess you are right. He'd be leaving about 28 million dollars total on the table over four years to sign with KC at 18 versus somebody else for 25.

2.) He's just not that good, folks, not in terms of PROJECTING the future. He'll hit you .260 and get the good on base percentage, but ... he's aging and whoever signs him will definitely regret it if they go 5 years on Gordon.

3.) This is worrying me. Sox are not going to be able to compete for "good" ballplayers in the future because they just make too much money. It's going to be very tough for the Sox to compete considering good young players all are going to be going for 25-30 mill a year for 5 years once they hit free agency.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
You are probably right. I'm just trying to figure out how the Sox are the only team that get hometown discounts. Paulie and Mark Buehlre before the Sox made it clear (foolishly) they didn't want Mark any more. If ever a hometown discount made sense it would be Alex Gordon and the Royals. He's one of those guys who are the face of a franchise like Minoso/Banks/Ripken/Tulo (oh wait Tulo got shipped out).

As far as Gordon, two comments. 1.) If he does leave for the highest offer, good for him. He better keep producing cause in KC he'd be a George Brett/Len Dawson figure forever. He'd be shown so much love the next 40 years of his life it'd make his head spin (provided KC wraps up the series). The Royals obviously will not be able to match 25-30 million a year. I bet they'd go as high as 18 million. So I guess you are right. He'd be leaving about 28 million dollars total on the table over four years to sign with KC at 18 versus somebody else for 25.

2.) He's just not that good, folks, not in terms of PROJECTING the future. He'll hit you .260 and get the good on base percentage, but ... he's aging and whoever signs him will definitely regret it if they go 5 years on Gordon.

3.) This is worrying me. Sox are not going to be able to compete for "good" ballplayers in the future because they just make too much money. It's going to be very tough for the Sox to compete considering good young players all are going to be going for 25-30 mill a year for 5 years once they hit free agency.

As usual, don't let facts get in the way of a post

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
As usual, don't let facts get in the way of a post

He turns 32 in February and is prone to long slumps.

He is a great great defender and that alone might leave him useful once he can't hit a lick any more like LaRoche. As far as current production, this year he was hurt a month or more and had 422 plate apeparances with a .271 BA and .377 on base. Good on base obviously. Only 48 RBI and 13 homers. His best possible year scenario is what he did in 2013. he hit .265 with 20 hrs and 81 rbi. Of course his on base was much better but he hasn't hit better than .271 in the last three seasons and he's not a power hitter. He's obviously NOT WORTH the contract he's about to get. He's a .270 hitter who draws walks (which is cool) and is a great defender. He's aging too.

You don't think he's a prime example of possibly turning into a LaRoche?

BTW, people laughed at me for wanting Grandy a few years ago and Grandy would still have been a useful tool for the Sox the past few years. I wanted Grandy and Torii Hunter and both would have been OK in the Cell compared to what we've put out there. Melky? LOL. Avi? Show me something, Avi. Eaton? Has some potential and has done fine.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)

I surprisingly agree with alot of what you say here Greg. I'm not in the least bit interested in Gordon, let someone else write that paycheck. Gordon has a nice bat and great defense but since he's going to be 32 he will, at some point, regress during his next contract. The team that signs Gordon will be paying him for what he has accomplished in a Royals uni and not necessarily for what he will do for his new team over the next 3-5 years.

I think your numbers are a bit exaggerated though, no chance Gordon gets 25-30M per year. Cespedes and Heyward might come close but no way Gordon gets that kind of money.

Edited by BlackSox13