The 40-man, Rule 5, and roster decisions

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
They have three - Saladino, Sanchez and Leury. With Leury being far and away the weakest of the bunch in overall value. His hitting is atrocious on a special level, and frankly his defense isn't that great either. He's got more speed than either of the others, but has no other advantages. No reason to keep him.

Saladino and Sanchez are starters.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Sanchez probably is, Saladino probably isn't.

Maybe marginally both, but really the team won't be starting both. Maybe not either. Micah is still very much in the mix at 2nd too.

Leury's are a dime a dozen. If there's space for him, fine. If they need it, he should be first to go. No reason to keep your third best utility infielder protected if it means leaving an actual prospect exposed, or losing a chance at a more valuable player.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
Leury's are a dime a dozen. If there's space for him, fine. If they need it, he should be first to go. No reason to keep your third best utility infielder protected if it means leaving an actual prospect exposed, or losing a chance at a more valuable player.

One would think so. But the Sox spent $8 million on 2 Leurys last year.

And Phillips' aren't exactly in short supply.

It's hard to believe that Robinson Leyer is up for Rule 5....he was in A ball in 2014. Must have been a really slow mover up the ladder. Sox moved him up fast last year, and to the pen if I recall, probably in anticipation of Rule 5- seeing of they could do anything with him.

Even given the Sox org's enduring love for medocre veterans, I'd still think the Sox would protect a young hard thrower over Phillips.

Edited by GreenSox

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Wendelken I get. Surprised they didn't protect Tago. And Brennan has about half a season's innings in A+, seems like a wasted add to me. No one is picking him.

They can still protect him. Might not be just them 2 at this moment. Sox haven't officially announced anything yet.

#WhiteSox have purchased the contracts of right-handed pitchers Brandon Brennan and J.B. Wendelken from Class AAA Charlotte.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/667799399355977729

Brennan appeared in six games (five starts) with Glendale in the AFL, going 0-1 with a 3.00 ERA (6 ER/18.0 IP) and 13 strikeouts.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/667799908582199296

Wendelken combined to go 6-2 with a 3.20 ERA, five saves and 69 strikeouts in 39 relief appearances with Charlotte and Birmingham in 2015.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/667800501426089984

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
Some interesting Pirates names are Rule 5 eligible

Adam BerryVerified account ‏@adamdberry 2m2 minutes ago

Among the interesting Rule 5-eligible prospects the #Pirates didn't protect: OF Barrett Barnes and RHPs Clay Holmes, Luis Heredia.

Hm, don't think I'd draft any of those guys.