David Price $217mm/7 years

bruni

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Greinke is much younger when he opted out than Price will be, not to mention that he also had a career year as well right before he had the choice to opt out.

Who knows how good Price will be the year before he can opt out, and even if he is as good as Greinke was this past season, he's going to be 33 ish.

Greinke is 32. Price will be 33 at the time of his opt out. The difference is one whole year

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time one of these deals is signed you get tons of these types of comments:

Actually though, what is the point of having that much money? Is he building a city or something? I always thought if i was ever a superstar athelete i would take a discount to play wherever made the the happiest because i don't understand what one can blow 25-30 mil a year on.

Got to love the self-proclaimed selfless fans who are just convinced they'd turn down an extra $20-30 million that's never going to actually be offered to them.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
i will disagree on this and for the following reasons.

~~ of the 8 yr it is going on 3 yrs of when FO gave the timeline

~~ the success of the northside team, they can not let that team continue to do the positive moves per the media outlet

~~ the careers of the main core players, how much longer can the team wait.

~~ the sox will continue to flounder until they, the FO does something drastic and positive that the fans can see.... meaning player movement.

~~ the adv money and success

Are we going to hold the FO accountable then when year #3 passes and we've improved to 80 wins? I guarantee this timeline that Williams referenced once has already been thrown out the window. They didn't plan for this team to be as poorly as it was, as if it was their plan all along for a team wide offensive rebound in year #3 of the phantom timeline.

I'm not advocating a complete rebuild, but I wouldn't want Hahn to do anything out of urgency thinking of the fans or competing with the Northside. I still think Quintana has to go for this team to move forward. We need another star offensive player, equivalent to Q in terms of value and contract. The Freese and A. cabrera's of the world just won't work. Yes, we won't replace Q with Montas or Fulmer (atleast right away), but considering the overall state of our offense you have to take advantage trading from a position of strength in pitching

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)
Are we going to hold the FO accountable then when year #3 passes and we've improved to 80 wins? I guarantee this timeline that Williams referenced once has already been thrown out the window. They didn't plan for this team to be as poorly as it was, as if it was their plan all along for a team wide offensive rebound in year #3 of the phantom timeline.

I'm not advocating a complete rebuild, but I wouldn't want Hahn to do anything out of urgency thinking of the fans or competing with the Northside. I still think Quintana has to go for this team to move forward. We need another star offensive player, equivalent to Q in terms of value and contract. The Freese and A. cabrera's of the world just won't work. Yes, we won't replace Q with Montas or Fulmer (atleast right away), but considering the overall state of our offense you have to take advantage trading from a position of strength in pitching

well, holding the sox FO accountability is only up to the owners. we as fans has no power to influence their decision. except maybe thru selling or lack of selling game tickets.

i always thought the 3 yr plan was pure fiction ....

for the last month plus i have been spouting on trading Q and even Rodon for those missing pieces plus other prospects. in my my mock trade which i posted on the big thread, i advocating the trades with the reason why it would work and really not asking for the the other team prime elite prospects. ....

my idea is a need to replenish the system with prospect, white thinning out the over lap prospects thru good trades and player movement. the sox can get some good pitchers for a stop gap replacement until the main core of pitching prospects steps up. i also advocating getting 1 more sp to the in case situation.

but those are my ideas

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
No one was going to pay Price what the Red Sox paid him except the Sawks. STL was second about $30 million shy.

This signing affects Sale/Q like ARod affected Magglio Ordonez.

excellent points.... ref stl, i don't know about the 30 mil, if i had to guess i would think something in the range of 25-28 .... i really am surprise that the northside didn't put in a bid. are they wanting to be what the sox owners did in the 90's, let a golder opportunity passed them bye.

but as a sox fan whew. i am glad they didn't .... i had to eat that crap since the 60.s - 70's and part of the 80's on northside vs the soxs.

When the first $100 million contract for a pitcher was signed, for Kevin Brown, baseball's total revenues were about $3 billion. Today they're $9 billion. The fraction of money going to players is actually going down. If the fraction of money going to players had remained constant, the top pitching contract would be worth something like $45 million per year. Owners are doing fine even without a salary cap.

I think it was a mistake. It will surely go bad by year 3. I'd never sign a pitcher over 27 to a deal more than 4 years. The Greinke deal will be even worse, but LA radio for the most part is like "We have to sign the guy. We can't let the Giants get him." I think it's the exact opposite. Every big deal the Giants give a pitcher turns to s***.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
I think it was a mistake. It will surely go bad by year 3. I'd never sign a pitcher over 27 to a deal more than 4 years. The Greinke deal will be even worse, but LA radio for the most part is like "We have to sign the guy. We can't let the Giants get him." I think it's the exact opposite. Every big deal the Giants give a pitcher turns to s***.

i really understand your point and for the most part, i am at an impasse with the signing. price and his success is there. no doubt about it. with ref to the money, that is the problem for me. i hate to say the caned opinion of "well that is the market" but the yrs is the killer for me. 4 yrs max on any deal or till age 34.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 11:50 PM)

A lot of people said that about the deal the Dodgers gave Greinke last time and he outperformed that massive deal, imo. Odds are more against him doing it again, given his age, but he's an elite pitcher. Personally, I take him over Lee (especially since you might be able to get him for less years). Greinke is the type of pitcher that I think holds up better as he ages than a guy like Price.

I might be wrong though and unless I was a franchise with very deep pockets (i.e., LA / Boston / NY), I wouldn't even entertain any of these type of pitchers ever on the FA market. Downside is too crippling to a franchise.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
A lot of people said that about the deal the Dodgers gave Greinke last time and he outperformed that massive deal, imo. Odds are more against him doing it again, given his age, but he's an elite pitcher. Personally, I take him over Lee (especially since you might be able to get him for less years). Greinke is the type of pitcher that I think holds up better as he ages than a guy like Price.

I might be wrong though and unless I was a franchise with very deep pockets (i.e., LA / Boston / NY), I wouldn't even entertain any of these type of pitchers ever on the FA market. Downside is too crippling to a franchise.

not only the downside, but if one is to look at it, the recovery process and if that is quasi success, the team would be laden with an unmovable contract.... Danks

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
Sad things about deals like this is that it's really hard for me to imagine Sale wanting to stay with the Sox if they aren't winning and aren't paying him market value. You know sure as s*** the Sox won't pay him what he deserves.

Pro athletes are more concerned about money in the bank than trophies.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)

Greinke has had arm trouble the past two years. I rather pay him 50 million for one year than pay him 200 million over 5