Eaton vs Heyward

Saufley

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
and you'll be the only one. Congrats.

Nah. I agree with him. Eaton will make less over the next six years than Heyward will make in two. They are clearly not equal players at this point but if you give me the option of having Heyward or having Eaton plus $15-$20 million to spend elsewhere I'm taking the Eaton option. Especially with the Sox payroll.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
If Heyward is making 4 times what Eaton is making, I'll take Eaton

I love when people throw the 4 times number out there without context. If Adam Eaton hit the open market today you think he would be signing for a reasonable deal after what Heyward just signed for? No.

Heyward hit the market at 26(1 day younger than Rizzo btw). That almost never happens. It's a fairly poor comparison and done without thinking about the situation both are in.

Their is a place for both. I think Eaton's contract provides nice surplus value and he's an above average player at his position. I'd like to see him take the next step from a consistency perspective and ideally see him revert back to being an above average fielder. Eaton absolutely has a place in this game and so does Heyward.

I am very happy we have an asset like Eaton around for the next few years.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
I love when people throw the 4 times number out there without context. If Adam Eaton hit the open market today you think he would be signing for a reasonable deal after what Heyward just signed for? No.

Heyward hit the market at 26(1 day younger than Rizzo btw). That almost never happens. It's a fairly poor comparison and done without thinking about the situation both are in.

We're talking about what is actually happening versus your hypothetical. Fact of the matter is they are basically the same age and we have Eaton for basically a 6 year, $41 million contract. The Cubs will pay Heyward $138 million over that timeframe. It doesn't matter what Eaton could possibly get on the open market because he's years away from being available.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)

You have to give the White Sox credit for trading for Eaton and recognizing the value to lock him up longer term. They get blame when they screw up, but this was a very good thing. Having Eaton on this roster, not only makes the team better (as he's a good player) but it allows the franchise to spend additional resources addressing other needs (similar to say Q or Sale). Heyward is the better player and ultimately on a winning club you need a combination of guys like eaton (who have surplus value vs. their actual contract) and actual star / good players who may not have "surplus" value but are just good / solid all around players (or even stars that are paid to be stars).

What context are we missing? The value of the contract is a HUGE deal. They are similar hitters and similar age. If you move Eaton to a corner outfield spot or Heyward to CF, they are not that different of players.

Edited by shakes

Which makes Eaton's deal even better. If I am spending someone else's cash, Heyward is the easy choice. If it's my cash and I have to budget, I would take Eaton, as much as you guys said you would do the Reed/Davidson trade...10 times out of 10.

I am not being sour because Heyward is a Cub. If his defense drops off any, so does a lot of his value. Any kind of leg or lower body injury, he WAR drops more than just about any player. I wouldn't mind if the White Sox signed him, but I understand every team that didn't want to pay him $200 million.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)

In addition to your comment about context, there is a law of diminishing returns in play here where you simply pay in a disproportional way for the elite versus the good or even great.

It's not a linear comparison.

The situation is real and they are both signed for what they are! How can that not be a fair comparison? Think about it. You're wrong!

I'd take Eaton for sure when you compare what they're being paid.

I think, however, you'll see their offensive numbers differ more dramatically as time goes on. Average-wise, they may remain similar, but I would think Heyward will be more of a power hitter while Eaton will be a lead-off contact guy. I could see Heyward hitting 20-25 HRs a year while Eaton will (and should) hit 8-14 a year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
You have to give the White Sox credit for trading for Eaton and recognizing the value to lock him up longer term. They get blame when they screw up, but this was a very good thing. Having Eaton on this roster, not only makes the team better (as he's a good player) but it allows the franchise to spend additional resources addressing other needs (similar to say Q or Sale).

Ofcourse they get a ton of credit.

But if we're doing about player comparisons I'm not taking Eaton over Jason Heyward. I think comparing their contract status is silly. The circumstances are completely different for each player.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
What context are we missing? The value of the contract is a HUGE deal. They are similar hitters and similar age. If you move Eaton to a corner outfield spot or Heyward to CF, they are not that different of players.

This. I would venture a guess that by the end of Eaton's contract he will be the more valuable player. Heyward is pretty big dude and that's not that good of a thing when much of your value is derived from speed and defense. He definitely has good years left but I think he will start to age quickly once he hits 30.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)

But if we're doing about player comparisons I'm not taking Eaton over Jason Heyward. I think comparing their contract status is silly. The circumstances are completely different for each player.

Agreed. This is a reasonable, non-homer answer.

In other sports with caps, contract status matters. Both the White Sox and the Cubs have enough money and there's no salary cap. You take Heyward.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)

Contracts are the biggest parts of trades and signings anymore. It isn't about player comparision. I think everyone here knows Heyward is the better player, but if you have $23 million to spend, you are better off with Eaton and whatever else you can get with the balance.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Would Eaton's defense improve playing RF instead of CF?

Probably a bit, but his arm was really underwhelming last year. I remember when we got him seeing clips of an absolute cannon from CF but last year he seemed noodle armed. I think he would be a really strong LF, but we need some one to handle right. An outfield of Eaton-Thompson-Upton would be pretty good from an offensive and defensive position but we need some one to put out there other than Avi in right and we have to get Melky to DH.