Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
I just hope we don't sign Fowler.

I hope we don't sign him, either......

But only after we've expressed interest, are quoted as being among the finalist, and are outbid by another team. That way it'll be a clean sweep this season of losing out in our targets!

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)

But only after we've expressed interest, are quoted as being among the finalist, and are outbid by another team. That way it'll be a clean sweep this season of losing out in our targets!

They targeted Frazier and Lawrie and got both of them.....

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
Oh it's disappointing for sure, but the White Sox don't give out large contracts. It's just not what they do. Incredibly disappointing, incredibly unsurprising

What would be disappointing is Hahn throwing $150M at Cespedes for him to be a slightly better than average player.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
Oh it's disappointing for sure, but the White Sox don't give out large contracts. It's just not what they do. Incredibly disappointing, incredibly unsurprising

This.

Someone said we're one of three teams in MLB history never to give out $70+ million to one player....I hope it wasn't $100 million.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Technically the offseason would be a disappointment. We would still be sitting in the middle. We would still have an outfield that sacrificed about 30 runs last year. You want to let Avi struggle out there fine. Just dont blow smoke and tell me your trying to compete while he's out there dropping baseballs.

As it currently stands, you're also looking at less than 45 HR from the outfield combined.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
I don't get how anyone looks at that and thinks were out. That's lower aav than I expected.

Yeah if the Sox weren't in that ballpark from the get go they were never in it then. I would think the Sox werent that naive about what the dollars were going to ultimately be to get him.

I think with all the momentum nationally for Washington being serious in this they probably will get it done. If the tables were turned and it was the Sox that they were mentioning like that we would think the deal is in the bag.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)

True. It's not like the Sox targeted improving at 3B or Catcher or anything. The only move that matters is an OF improvement.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
What would be disappointing is Hahn throwing $150M at Cespedes for him to be a slightly better than average player.

$7-7.5 million per WAR is the going rate now for free agents.

Last year, that would have been worth $40-45 million alone.

If he averages a 3 war, that's what is considered fair value these days.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
$7-7.5 million per WAR is the going rate now for free agents.

Last year, that would have been worth $40-45 million alone.

If he averages a 3 war, that's what is considered fair value these days.

Take a look at his previous three seasons. Unlike you, I don't view things in a vacuum to fit my narrative.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
20 mill a year for Cespedes is not that bad of a contract. I would be enraged if Sox don't compete with that offer. Freaking John Danks is making 15 million this year.

What does Danks have to do with anything? At the time he signed that extension he was every bit as valuable as Cespedes and was worth every penny. It's not his or the Sox fault that his career got derailed by a major injury.