Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
Even with that in mind, he posted a .342 wOBA and a +4 WAR. Unless something catastrophic happens, he should post something close to 3 WAR.

Oh I agree. He's a good player and one of the best 3B in the game. This was a huge upgrade at a position we haven't been able to update since Crede.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
His career OBP is under .330 and last year it was .309. It is the one thing I don't like about Frazier (all of the other pluses outweigh this negative though).

That is partially explained by the fact that Frazier had little support behind him in batting order. The only other really good hitter was Joey Votto, and he batted ahead of Frazier. That likely resulted in our guy swinging at pitches outside the strike zone. Of course, I don't know who will be hitting behind Frazier -- Lawrie, Avi, ?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)
That is partially explained by the fact that Frazier had little support behind him in batting order. The only other really good hitter was Joey Votto, and he batted ahead of Frazier. That likely resulted in our guy swinging at pitches outside the strike zone. Of course, I don't know who will be hitting behind Frazier -- Lawrie, Avi, ?

Yeah, or LaRoche. That's why another big middle of the order hitter would be so huge.

Eaton

Cabrera

Abreu

Frazier

LaRoche

Lawrie

A.Garcia

Catcher

Saladino

5-9 just isn't going to work without adding one more bat.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)

Probably Melky or LaRoche

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
Gotta hit Abreu 3rd. He figures to hit at least 30 pts higher than Frazier, he should get the extra ab's. Frazier is the perfect 5 hole bat imo

Assuming the Sox don't get another power bat, I like the idea of having Abreu protect Frazier because then Frazier would get better pitches to hit as opposed to if he was hitting in front of LaRoche/Avi/Melky/Etc.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
Assuming the Sox don't get another power bat, I like the idea of having Abreu protect Frazier because then Frazier would get better pitches to hit as opposed to if he was hitting in front of LaRoche/Avi/Melky/Etc.

I hear ya but then who protects Abreu? If we dont bring in another big bat then one of those guys will probably be somewhat vulnerable. That's why a big bat is so vital imo, it extends the lineup enough so Frazier can hit 5th and either dh/Lawrie can hit 6th/7th.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
I hear ya but then who protects Abreu? If we dont bring in another big bat then one of those guys will probably be somewhat vulnerable. That's why a big bat is so vital imo, it extends the lineup enough so Frazier can hit 5th and either dh/Lawrie can hit 6th/7th.

I feel confident in saying, they'll find him protection & I'm guessing it'll be before Christmas.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
I feel confident in saying, they'll find him protection & I'm guessing it'll be before Christmas.

I agree, they can't make these moves and just leave one of Abreu or Frazier uncovered. I'd love not only one of Cespedes/Upton, but someone like Parra also. Extends the batting order even further, and moves Avi into the appropriate 4th outfielder role/dh platoon guy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
No need to get fancy, as currently constructed Adam and Melky should be our best on base guys so put them in front of Jose and Todd is the one guy with the power to drive Abreu in, put him behind Jose.

I feel like so much of the season depends on which Melky shows up

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
No need to get fancy, as currently constructed Adam and Melky should be our best on base guys so put them in front of Jose and Todd is the one guy with the power to drive Abreu in, put him behind Jose.

Ideally Frazier is the 5 hole with a bat like Cespedes in the 4 hole.

Sample lineup with Cespedes:

1) CF Eaton

2) DH Cabrera

3) 1B Abreu

4) LF Cespedes

5) 3B Frazier

6) 2B Lawrie

7) RF Garcia

8) C Navarro/Avila

9) SS Saladino/Sanchez

That's a lineup that combined with the pitching staff in place can get to the postseason.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
Ideally Frazier is the 5 hole with a bat like Cespedes in the 4 hole.

Sample lineup with Cespedes:

1) CF Eaton

2) DH Cabrera

3) 1B Abreu

4) LF Cespedes

5) 3B Frazier

6) 2B Lawrie

7) RF Garcia

8) C Navarro/Avila

9) SS Saladino/Sanchez

That's a lineup that combined with the pitching staff in place can get to the postseason.

Question is, would they rather have Melky at DH or Avi in DH in that situation. Where does LaRoche go?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
Question is, would they rather have Melky at DH or Avi in DH in that situation. Where does LaRoche go?

Ideally, they sign Upton and someone like Austin Jackson (this is rabbit's idea and I'm stealing it). That gives them tons of flexibility and allows them to sit LaRoche vs LHP. I don't know where Avisail goes but he's gone in this scenario

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
Ideally, they sign Upton and someone like Austin Jackson (this is rabbit's idea and I'm stealing it). That gives them tons of flexibility and allows them to sit LaRoche vs LHP. I don't know where Avisail goes but he's gone in this scenario

I don't see Avi as a very good 4th OF'er, so I wouldn't mind this at all. Can always send him back down.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)

Isn't Melky the worse fielder? Also, I suppose Cespedes could play RF and take your pick between Melky and Avi in LF. Also, LaRoche goes to the bench or Charlotte in this scenario.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Isn't Melky the worse fielder? Also, I suppose Cespedes could play RF and take your pick between Melky and Avi in LF. Also, LaRoche goes to the bench or Charlotte in this scenario.

Worse than Avi? Here's a gif of Avi playing RF last season, I ripped from mlb.tv:

WLdTl5c.gif