Alexei, Saladino, or another plan for SS

DashFan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
Alexei was wearing a Sox jersey at his Cuba trip. Just sayin.....

Serious question about that, do you think he had to get permission by the team to where the Sox jersey in Cuba? I understand why he would, but he is a free agent. It's really not important, but interesting to think about.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Serious question about that, do you think he had to get permission by the team to where the Sox jersey in Cuba? I understand why he would, but he is a free agent. It's really not important, but interesting to think about.

Why would he need permission? You can wear a White Sox jersey, why can't he?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
Then how do you explain all the opportunities Beckham and Viciedo got to turn it around? Also Hahn already said Saladino was going to be the SS, you're making s*** up again.

Plus this thread seems pretty well split between signing Alexei / playing Saladino, so I don't see much "absolute disdain."

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
I'd rather sign Alexei and have Saladino as the super sub / defensive replacement / base runner. Saladino is way better suited for that role vs. Sanchez.

It's true that Saladino would be a better sub than Sanchez, but there's also a chance he'll just have a better than Alexei. All the projections I've seen have Saladino and Alexei's batting lines very close, and while Saladino's floor is lower, at their respective ages his glove will have the edge.

I don't think spending the extra millions on Alexei is worth the bench upgrade. I'd rather get a pitcher.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
Plus this thread seems pretty well split between signing Alexei / playing Saladino, so I don't see much "absolute disdain."

It's true that Saladino would be a better sub than Sanchez, but there's also a chance he'll just have a better than Alexei. All the projections I've seen have Saladino and Alexei's batting lines very close, and while Saladino's floor is lower, at their respective ages his glove will have the edge.

I don't think spending the extra millions on Alexei is worth the bench upgrade. I'd rather get a pitcher.

Agreed. Sale, Quintana, Rodon...and then basically keep you fingers crossed as a below average lefty and a pretty much unknown righty take their turn. Salad at SS is fine, the Sox should go grab a righty to start.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
Agreed. Sale, Quintana, Rodon...and then basically keep you fingers crossed as a below average lefty and a pretty much unknown righty take their turn. Salad at SS is fine, the Sox should go grab a righty to start.

That rotation is fine, and Danks has come back quite a ways. He is certainly a more that adequate 5TH starter. The void this staff has, rests with its lack of depth.

What happens if one of them goes to the DL? Beck or Turner would be very questionable. I think I'd rather count on Carroll. Ouch! Did I just say that?

See what I mean? The depth is pretty shallow.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)

And I don't even mean a starting pitcher specifically. The amount of money Alexei would be paid might not get us a starter who's demonstrably better than Danks or EJ, but right now both the pen and rotation lack a lot of depth. One or more depth signings would help and I think those are the team's greatest needs besides outfield right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Then again, imperfect young players ceilings are usually mediocre vets.

Except for teams that actually win. But the sox were still in it all of last year and Kenny Williams could see a 10 game winning streak right around the corner. Bloody bad luck it never happened.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
Except for teams that actually win. But the sox were still in it all of last year and Kenny Williams could see a 10 game winning streak right around the corner. Bloody bad luck it never happened.

You should move to Charlotte or Birmingham. You would have a much happier life. Probably better at Birmingham because AAA teams hero worship and bring in washed up veterans to fill AAA rosters.

Edited by Dick Allen

• 2 weeks later...