2016 Catch All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
It will look a bit out of place with what is around it, but it looks like a nice building.

I like it. especially lake side, you are usually taking a long view. It is not THAT far from taller buildings, and it makes sense considering nothing can build in front of it to add height.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
I like it. especially lake side, you are usually taking a long view. It is not THAT far from taller buildings, and it makes sense considering nothing can build in front of it to add height.

Yeah, the height doesn't bother me, but the modern style will stand out amongst the historical buildings around it.

So last year I moved my parents from their home in Joliet, IL out to Vegas, as their large home had become too much for them to manage and maintain any longer. This is the home I lived in from about 1995, after I graduated high school, off and on until I moved to Vegas in 2008.

The house is in a historic district, is three stories, on .9 acres, and over 100 years old. It is an amazing home, but in need of a LOT of work, particularly things like HVAC system, plumbing overhaul, probably a new roof, and other large undertakings.

If any of you are a glutton for punishment, and want to relive the movie "The Money Pit," the listing is here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
So last year I moved my parents from their home in Joliet, IL out to Vegas, as their large home had become too much for them to manage and maintain any longer. This is the home I lived in from about 1995, after I graduated high school, off and on until I moved to Vegas in 2008.

The house is in a historic district, is three stories, on .9 acres, and over 100 years old. It is an amazing home, but in need of a LOT of work, particularly things like HVAC system, plumbing overhaul, probably a new roof, and other large undertakings.

If any of you are a glutton for punishment, and want to relive the movie "The Money Pit," the listing is here.

I love that style of houses. In my home town we have a slew of very old houses built by Pullman Standard for their management staff that I would love to buy one of. The character is just beautiful. I just don't have any repair and remodel skills at all that would be need to undertake something like that without going totally broke. Good luck to you man.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)

Really a gorgeous home but the question is, is it haunted? I know you wouldnt tell us if it was but I have to ask.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
I love that style of houses. In my home town we have a slew of very old houses built by Pullman Standard for their management staff that I would love to buy one of. The character is just beautiful. I just don't have any repair and remodel skills at all that would be need to undertake something like that without going totally broke. Good luck to you man.

Oh the bank owns it now...they walked away from it because they were idiots and kept pulling money out of it to use for other things, until the point where they were too far upside down to recover.

So while my parents are my problem, thankfully, the house no longer is.

The home was built by some Irishmen who was in the barbed wire industry, I believe. It was also the home of an amateur boxer in the 1920's, I believe by the name of Packy McFarlin.

When my parents purchased it in 1995, the home was in pretty good shape. They restored a lot of the flooring and did a lot of work restoring much of the woodwork. Unfortunately, as they aged, they simply couldn't keep up with it anymore, and then compounded that by making a number of poor financial decisions. It got to the point where they were living there in the winter of '14/'15 with no working furnace. For years I had been trying to get them to either sell of walk away from the home. Finally, I convinced them to walk away from the house and move out to Vegas and I would buy them a home here, which they could rent from me.

So in May and June of '15, I went back to Joliet and helped them pack up and move out. The bank has been sitting on it since then. The house went up for auction back in April, I believe, but there were no bidders at the opening price, which I think was $350k or so. I see now that they have put it on the market at $219k.

At $219k, that property is an incredible bargain, however, the home is in such disrepair, that even a reasonable renovation is cost-prohibitive in that market.

I have thought about contacting one of those home renovation shows to see if they would be interested in taking it on and making a show out of it. It would be one hell of a story to show someone bring it back to life.

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
Really a gorgeous home but the question is, is it haunted? I know you wouldnt tell us if it was but I have to ask.

Honestly, when my parents first bought the house in 1995, there was a period where they were having some restoration work done and so they hadn't moved in yet. I used this as an opportunity to have friends over for some low-key fun. There were a few evenings, where I slept alone in the house, and I swore I saw and heard some crazy stuff. Nothing completely obvious, but plenty of strange noises and things I thought I saw out of the corner of my eye. :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
Oh the bank owns it now...they walked away from it because they were idiots and kept pulling money out of it to use for other things, until the point where they were too far upside down to recover.

So while my parents are my problem, thankfully, the house no longer is.

The home was built by some Irishmen who was in the barbed wire industry, I believe. It was also the home of an amateur boxer in the 1920's, I believe by the name of Packy McFarlin.

When my parents purchased it in 1995, the home was in pretty good shape. They restored a lot of the flooring and did a lot of work restoring much of the woodwork. Unfortunately, as they aged, they simply couldn't keep up with it anymore, and then compounded that by making a number of poor financial decisions. It got to the point where they were living there in the winter of '14/'15 with no working furnace. For years I had been trying to get them to either sell of walk away from the home. Finally, I convinced them to walk away from the house and move out to Vegas and I would buy them a home here, which they could rent from me.

So in May and June of '15, I went back to Joliet and helped them pack up and move out. The bank has been sitting on it since then. The house went up for auction back in April, I believe, but there were no bidders at the opening price, which I think was $350k or so. I see now that they have put it on the market at $219k.

At $219k, that property is an incredible bargain, however, the home is in such disrepair, that even a reasonable renovation is cost-prohibitive in that market.

I have thought about contacting one of those home renovation shows to see if they would be interested in taking it on and making a show out of it. It would be one hell of a story to show someone bring it back to life.

That is an incredible background story of the house. I love it. Is that where you were raised?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
That is an incredible background story of the house. I love it. Is that where you were raised?

No. My childhood home was actually in Cherry Hill, between New Lenox and Joliet. We then moved to Hinsdale, IL when I was in the 7th grade through HS. My parents bought this home in 1995, and I lived there off and on until 2006 I guess, although I was pretty much out of there after 2001.

At the time my parents bought it, it was owned by a guy who owned a women's clothing store. My mother, being a long-time customer of his, learned of the availability of the house and purchased it.

I got fillings on both sides of my mouth this morning:

1. I let him drill my teeth before the novocain actually set in, which is basically the worst feeling ever

2. I can't feel s***... I tried to drink water and spilled it all over my face. Currently carefully trying to sip coffee.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
I got fillings on both sides of my mouth this morning:

1. I let him drill my teeth before the novocain actually set in, which is basically the worst feeling ever

2. I can't feel s***... I tried to drink water and spilled it all over my face. Currently carefully trying to sip coffee.

LOL the first thing they tell you NOT to do is drink coffee after having that done.

Ettiquette question: I ordered sushi tonite and picked it up, and I did not tip when I picked up. The hostess gave me serious attitude about it, and it definitely left an impression.

Should I have tipped? When I used to deliver pizza, people would pick up pizzas and I would cash them out, and I never got nor expected a tip. Is it different with picking up sushi? I'm generally a good tipper, I just learned that this was not a tip situation, at least with pizza

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
Ettiquette question: I ordered sushi tonite and picked it up, and I did not tip when I picked up. The hostess gave me serious attitude about it, and it definitely left an impression.

Should I have tipped? When I used to deliver pizza, people would pick up pizzas and I would cash them out, and I never got nor expected a tip. Is it different with picking up sushi? I'm generally a good tipper, I just learned that this was not a tip situation, at least with pizza

I am with you.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)

I usually tip 10% when I pick up.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
I just did a terrible job redoing the silicon caulk around the shower tub. Gonna be staring at that for a while.

I did the same thing about a year ago.

Eventually just had a handyman do it right :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
I just did a terrible job redoing the silicon caulk around the shower tub. Gonna be staring at that for a while.

Painters tape and soapy water. Lay the tape down with a gap as wide as you want that caulk to be. Apply caulk, run your finger down the middle smoothing it out, pull tape, admire perfect caulk line

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
I did the same thing about a year ago.

Eventually just had a handyman do it right :)

I now go straight to the handy man without hesitation. I don't care about my ego anymore, I know I cant do these things the right way so I avoid all the wasted effort and frustration in even attempting to do stuff on my own.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)

I'm with you, I never tip when picking up carry-out food.