2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
To me, the Supreme Court is an extremely good reason to vote for Hillary Clinton if you care at all about social issues. Supreme Court positions are lifetime appointments. If the next President replaces Scalia and Ginsburg, they are shaping the Court for the next 40 years potentially. And with the gay marriage decision out there, and the Right's push to overturn that decision, if you are moderate or progressive on social issues, Clinton is the obvious choice...

Replace Clinton with Trump and Progressive with Conservative and you have one of the main reasons I am voting for Donald. We need a constitutional court. You can't get that with someone of Hillary's ilk.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Replace Clinton with Trump and Progressive with Conservative and you have one of the main reasons I am voting for Donald. We need a constitutional court. You can't get that with someone of Hillary's ilk.

Please explain to me what you mean by "constitutional court."

QUOTE (brett05 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)

Explain.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
If you have any friends or family who are gay or not white, how could you possibly vote for Trump? Their lives will be negatively impacted by a Trump presidency and I'm being kind. It could get quite ugly.

I'll go a step further and say if you have young children, how could you not vote for Hilary? Trump as the POTUS is the most dangerous proposition the US, hell the world has faced in years. Hilary may be a unlikable candidate, but she's not going to do something stupid that has grave consequences across the globe. The thought of my son having to deal with the aftermath of a Trump presidency is beyond terrifying.

Honestly, I think any US citizen throwing away their vote on an independent candidate in this election is being selfish. Either you're for or against everything Trump stands for, and if you're against like all rational people should be, then you have no choice but voting for Hilary. Maybe that's a hit to your pride, but it's better than living in a world where Donald Trump is the POTUS.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)

Conservative judges follow the Constitution, using no level of interpretation whatsoever. Liberal judges ignore the Constitution and interpret whatever they want. Duh.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
My best friend and mentor at work is voting for Trump, even though he hates him, has consistently called himself a libertarian, etc but he hates Hillary at a Greg-level.

I just don't understand how he isn't going to vote for Johnson, but man party lines are so strong.

I honestly don't know who I'm voting for yet, it won't be Trump or Stein, that much I know.

Party lines are strong but this will be the second election in a row I don't vote my party, Republican. Greg haters still won't give me props for voting my conscience over party. I despise Hillary of course, but can't vote for Trump. And like I told u I voted for Obama cause, well, how could any sane person vote for Romney. I guess eight years of this means maybe I am not a Republican anymore. I don't know what I am, cause I certainly didn't vote for the Republican idiot running the state of Kansas, Brownback.

I don't know anything about Johnson. I guess I could learn.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)

Oh man, I can't wait for the answer to this. I wonder if he knows there are like 3 lawyers back here too.

The phrase "activist" judge is hilarious. It really just means "judge whose decisions I, legal layman, don't agree with". You get that with both parties, by the way.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Party lines are strong but this will be the second election in a row I don't vote my party, Republican. Greg haters still won't give me props for voting my conscience over party. I despise Hillary of course, but can't vote for Trump. And like I told u I voted for Obama cause, well, how could any sane person vote for Romney. I guess eight years of this means maybe I am not a Republican anymore. I don't know what I am, cause I certainly didn't vote for the Republican idiot running the state of Kansas, Brownback.

I don't know anything about Johnson. I guess I could learn.

Anecdotally, I don't know a single person from Kansas who approves of Brownback.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Pence did a good job. Unfortunately he had to spend a lot of time defending the knucklehead that is running for president and Kaine had to be who he wasn't as part of Hillary's strategy (a total attack dog). Unfortunate that the main candidates are so much worse then the running mates / other potential options. I don't agree with Pence on certain social issues, but I do agree with him on quite a few things and would have been willing to vote for him (not my preferred candidate, but one I'd vote for) if I could.

Instead I'll vote for neither and stick to my moral values and I think everyone in America who doesn't like either candidate should vote for either independent (just to stick it to the major two parties and point out how pissed we are) or write-in someone else. Don't vote for someone who is the lesser of two evils; Actually reject the system. I literally have talked to almost no one who likes either candidate, yet, most of them are all voting party line. If you want to change the process, speak up, and don't actually vote for the clowns. Help one of the independents win a state or two and use them as your referendum for telling both candidates they suck. Unfortunately from there, we end up putting it back in the hands of our government to pick, but they might actually recognize the statement made by the American people and pick a candidate who isn't one of them.

I think things are pretty damn good right now and getting better.

Hillary wants to continue the Obama presidency. Would you vote for 4 more years of Obama? I sure as s*** hope you would.

If that's the case, vote Hillary.

If not, burn your vote and vote for a guy who can't name one foreign leader or write in someone not running. Your call.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
My mom and dad who were ripping on Trump the whole debate process, now say they'll vote for him cause at least the supreme court. NO THAT IS NOT A GOOD ARGUMENT. And on the flipside, the people I know voting for Hillary, are voting cause well, it can't be Trump. Again, no that is not acceptable. That is not okay for America's presidency to come down to those type of arguments. The government needs to realize how fed up people are with the status quo and start working together and driving real change to ensure that the America of 50 years from now is better then the America today (which is better then the America of 50 years ago).

Those are NOT the only two buckets of people. Some people are informed of the truth behind Hillary and are ready to welcome her as a great leader.

I'm in that bucket.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
I'll go a step further and say if you have young children, how could you not vote for Hilary? Trump as the POTUS is the most dangerous proposition the US, hell the world has faced in years. Hilary may be a unlikable candidate, but she's not going to do something stupid that has grave consequences across the globe. The thought of my son having to deal with the aftermath of a Trump presidency is beyond terrifying.

Honestly, I think any US citizen throwing away their vote on an independent candidate in this election is being selfish. Either you're for or against everything Trump stands for, and if you're against like all rational people should be, then you have no choice but voting for Hilary. Maybe that's a hit to your pride, but it's better than living in a world where Donald Trump is the POTUS.

Also global warming, which Democrats will at least do something about even if it's not nearly enough (see EPA rules). Which is another point in favor of my stance that I don't care as much about the individual person in the White House as the policies they'll implement and the direction/staffing the executive branch will see under them.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
When you count all of the spending done with this recession, specifically the untold trillions from the Fed, the last sentence is almost laughable.

The trade off has been illustrated for a decade now even though you won't pay any attention to it.. If you overheat the economy, you get inflation. If the economy is underheated and not stimulated enough, inflation will be below trend.

2k5 2009: "Shrink the stimulus, we need to fear inflation"

Balta 2009: "If the stimulus is too small this will just drag on long term, if it's too big the Federal Reserve has plenty of ammunition to raise rates to fight inflation"

2k5 2010: "Cut the deficit before we get inflation"

2k5 2011: "Look over here, I see hidden inflation when you ignore the numbers everyone else uses for good reason"

2015: half a decade of below-goal inflation

2k5 2016: "Why is the economy still slowly recovering? It must be the tax code, I don't like that".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
The trade off has been illustrated for a decade now even though you won't pay any attention to it.. If you overheat the economy, you get inflation. If the economy is underheated and not stimulated enough, inflation will be below trend.

2k5 2009: "Shrink the stimulus, we need to fear inflation"

Balta 2009: "If the stimulus is too small this will just drag on long term, if it's too big the Federal Reserve has plenty of ammunition to raise rates to fight inflation"

2k5 2010: "Cut the deficit before we get inflation"

2k5 2011: "Look over here, I see hidden inflation when you ignore the numbers everyone else uses for good reason"

2015: half a decade of below-goal inflation

2k5 2016: "Why is the economy still slowly recovering? It must be the tax code, I don't like that".

Yet the multiple trillions of dollars of stimulus were multiples more than what you thought should have been spent anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 07:28 PM)
I think things are pretty damn good right now and getting better.

Hillary wants to continue the Obama presidency. Would you vote for 4 more years of Obama? I sure as s*** hope you would.

If that's the case, vote Hillary.

If not, burn your vote and vote for a guy who can't name one foreign leader or write in someone not running. Your call.

I can't believe so many intelligent people want Hillary Clinton. Would I vote for 4 more years of Obama?? Are you kidding me? Our country is in the worst shape imaginable. Social issues, overseas issues with Russia, China and Korea. The economy? My gosh it is AWFUL. And health care??? Give me a break.

He is the Robin Ventura of the USA. he has to go and he's going. That said, I love his personality and the fact he's a big Sox fan and fan of all things Chicago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I can't believe so many intelligent people want Hillary Clinton. Would I vote for 4 more years of Obama?? Are you kidding me? Our country is in the worst shape imaginable. Social issues, overseas issues with Russia, China and Korea. The economy? My gosh it is AWFUL. And health care??? Give me a break.

He is the Robin Ventura of the USA. he has to go and he's going. That said, I love his personality and the fact he's a big Sox fan and fan of all things Chicago.

Of these issues, I believe the highlighted is the only one he actually is in control of - and I have no idea why you think the economy is down.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Of these issues, I believe the highlighted is the only one he actually is in control of - and I have no idea why you think the economy is down.

Because Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Fox News say so.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)

The economy is still pretty bad for segments of the population, and we seem to be trending towards a bigger split between haves and have-nots with not as much of a robust middle class any more. So for those people, the economy still sucks in ways that the DJIA or GDP or baseline employment numbers might not reflect.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)

You liberals are so funny. Give me Donald time and time again over a Hillary Clinton. It's not even close. But keep the attacks up.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)

One that has judges that do not create law by their judgements, they align it with what the constitution says.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
The economy is still pretty bad for segments of the population, and we seem to be trending towards a bigger split between haves and have-nots with not as much of a robust middle class any more. So for those people, the economy still sucks in ways that the DJIA or GDP or baseline employment numbers might not reflect.

the first political issue we agree upon.