Dexter Fowler as a secondary option

blackmooncreeping

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 03:41 AM)
True. But they will not save money as one of them would be a high priced bench player. It would be more cost effective to sign one and use a rookie as the bench player.

The only way it would work was no LaRoche and pushing Melky to DH...with Garcia as DH against lhp.

That would allow you to get a huge amount of defensive improvement compared to last year from the outfield and much improved team speed as well.

Personally, I'd go with Jackson and Desmond.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
If the Cubs end up trading Soler to Tampa for pitching, you have to think Fowler going back to the Cubs comes into play big time.

I could see them bringing back Jackson to play center and hit low in the order since he's cheaper and still a good defender. I'm still sticking to my guns that Heyward will be in RF opening day.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit

Seeing lots of talk about him, received multiple reports that the #WhiteSox could sign Dexter Fowler in the near future.

#WhiteSox are active in both FA and trade market, but Cespedes interest has been moved to the back burner to less pricey alternatives.

Edited by Sockin

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)

Seeing lots of talk about him, received multiple reports that the #WhiteSox could sign Dexter Fowler in the near future.

#WhiteSox are active in both FA and trade market, but Cespedes interest has been moved to the back burner to less pricey alternatives.

Makes sense. If Cespedes is stuck on either the 5-6 year deal or a high dollar 1-year deal, I'm fine with the Sox moving on. Fowler would be a good 2-hole hitter. Between him and Eaton to set the table for Abreu and Frazier...could be good.

Here's what I continue to not like about Fowler. He is not a bad player. He's a good player! But I hate this outfield for the next 3 years:

Melky

Eaton

Fowler

At its best, that is maybe 45 HRs from the outfield, but more realistically it is around 30. We would still want to upgrade one of those positions throughout fowlers contract.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Here's what I continue to not like about Fowler. He is not a bad player. He's a good player! But I hate this outfield for the next 3 years:

Melky

Eaton

Fowler

At its best, that is maybe 45 HRs from the outfield, but more realistically it is around 30. We would still want to upgrade one of those positions throughout fowlers contract.

Melky is only on the team for 2 more, and is probably the DH next season

Melky

Eaton

Fowler

Melky is only signed for 2 more years and is likely the 2017 DH but I get your point.

Melky

Eaton

Fowler

Good point, but I would hope the HR total from those three would be closer to 45 than 30. Melky has two years left, so unless he is somehow moved (either in a trade or to the DH role after this year), the outfield would be lacking in power for at least through the 2017 season.

I thought we were looking for a power hitting OF. The only way Fowler makes some sense is if we are also doing a deal with Desmond to provide more power in the infield at SS. And am not sure that Desmond does anything for us defensively. As I am unsure what Fowler does for us defensively in CF. What a let down ...

I'll be the first to admit in the heat of the Gordon/Cespedes/Upton hoopla I wanted nothing to do with Dexter Fowler. And honestly I still hate the thought of having to give the comp pick to the Cub (it would suck watching the player they draft turn into some star). But I think he would be a decent addition to the lineup. I'm not sure what his splits are, and I have heard through posts here his D isn't great. But I think he would be a good two hole hitter and maybe the D improves if you shift him to right field.

The one thing that worries me and I'm sure I'll get roasted is I don't know if it's worth the pick and money to displace Avi from the lineup for a guy like Fowler. Cespedes, Gordon, Upton are no brainiers they impact or could impact every game they play especially Cespedes and Gordon defensively.

I don't know what to think anymore, would I like Fowler (sure) but I just think he isn't enough of a game changer to pay the money, pick, or shake up the roster for.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
I'll be the first to admit in the heat of the Gordon/Cespedes/Upton hoopla I wanted nothing to do with Dexter Fowler. And honestly I still hate the thought of having to give the comp pick to the Cub (it would suck watching the player they draft turn into some star). But I think he would be a decent addition to the lineup. I'm not sure what his splits are, and I have heard through posts here his D isn't great. But I think he would be a good two hole hitter and maybe the D improves if you shift him to right field.

The one thing that worries me and I'm sure I'll get roasted is I don't know if it's worth the pick and money to displace Avi from the lineup for a guy like Fowler. Cespedes, Gordon, Upton are no brainiers they impact or could impact every game they play especially Cespedes and Gordon defensively.

I don't know what to think anymore, would I like Fowler (sure) but I just think he isn't enough of a game changer to pay the money, pick, or shake up the roster for.

Again, the draft pick does not "go to the Cubs"

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
I thought we were looking for a power hitting OF. The only way Fowler makes some sense is if we are also doing a deal with Desmond to provide more power in the infield at SS. And am not sure that Desmond does anything for us defensively. As I am unsure what Fowler does for us defensively in CF. What a let down ...

If we also sign Desmond it makes more sense but with Desmond your sacrificing defense at a important position with a majority of our pitching staff being ground ball pitchers I don't see the logic. I love the bat but the D worries me.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
If we do get him I hope his power from last season stays, that his defense can rate OK in RF, and that he returns to his .360 career OBP. It'd be a fine move if it weren't for that damn QO.

That's the rub. Given our absolute need for an outfielder I wouldn't hate getting Fowler, but he's not worth the pick like Upton is or Gordon would have been.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
And didn't Desmond get a QO? If we signed both guys would we lose two picks? If so which picks?

Comp and 2nd rd, both in top 50. I wouldn't count on signing Desmond.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
Oh I didn't know that my bad. So where does the pick go?

It vanishes and everybody moves up a spot in the draft order. The Cubs then get a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round. The Cubs are losing their first three draft picks because of the Heyward, Zobrist and Lackey signings. So they will lose their first round pick, the comp pick gained from Fowler signing somewhere and their second round pick. The will not pick until the third round.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
And didn't Desmond get a QO? If we signed both guys would we lose two picks? If so which picks?

You lose your earliest picks outside of the top ten in the first round. If the Sox signed two guys with QO's they would lose the comp pick from Samardzija and their second round pick. Their first round pick is protected.