Keep Forgetting about Carson Fulmer

Thomas_Ventura_Roberts

I keep forgetting about Carson Fulmer. If luck goes the White Sox way in 2016 with regard to injuries, fast developments, and veteran comebacks, they would be positioned to be quite a team. Then again, what if they needed a mid-season addition to the starting rotation? I was wondering today about who they would turn to that had some real upside potential, and Carson did not even cross my mind. We may need Carson in the starting rotation before this season is finished, and I am glad he is in our system.

QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)
I keep forgetting about Carson Fulmer. If luck goes the White Sox way in 2016 with regard to injuries, fast developments, and veteran comebacks, they would be positioned to be quite a team. Then again, what if they needed a mid-season addition to the starting rotation? I was wondering today about who they would turn to that had some real upside potential, and Carson did not even cross my mind. We may need Carson in the starting rotation before this season is finished, and I am glad he is in our system.

He will not be ready to contribute to the rotation in Chicago this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 07:37 PM)
That Fulmer assumption is a nice one to hold onto, like Tim Anderson will be on the MLB All Rookie team at SS in 2017 and have a 3+ war...or that Avi Garcia and LaRoche both won't receive more than 250 plate appearances this season.

God forbid people get excited about some prospects.

Truly great stuff and a really gutsy performance when I had the pleasure of seeing him pitch up-close in Winston-Salem's first playoff game last year.

I thought he actually seemed to have a better presence on the mound than Rodon. Just seemed to carry that Chris Sale level of confidence. It's unlikely he'll be another Sale, just because that's unlikely for anyone, but I'd expect him to be either as good if not better than Rodon. That's a damn solid 1,2,3 going forward and Quintana ain't bad either.

I think Fulmer is a prospect to be excited about, and there's no reason to think the Sox can't develop pitching at this point.

Edited by DashFan

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
There's little reason to doubt the Sox scouting of college pitchers.

See, this statement is based on Rodon falling into their laps...and Chris Sale (who was obviously the best scouting example).

But Fulmer and Rodon were the best collegiate pitchers those two seasons, respectively.

Adams was a high schooler, as was Hector Santiago. We all know about Quintana's origins.

The Sox are great at finding pitching, PERIOD, but that reputation with college pitchers is more based on 1998 through the Broadway, Ring, Poreda and McCulloch selections...before the drafting philosophy shifted dramatically.

QUOTE (DashFan @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
Truly great stuff and a really gutsy performance when I had the pleasure of seeing him pitch up-close in Winston-Salem's first playoff game last year.

I thought he actually seemed to have a better presence on the mound than Rodon. Just seemed to carry that Chris Sale level of confidence. It's unlikely he'll be another Sale, just because that's unlikely for anyone, but I'd expect him to be either as good if not better than Rodon. That's a damn solid 1,2,3 going forward and Quintana ain't bad either.

I think Fulmer is a prospect to be excited about, and there's no reason to think the Sox can't develop pitching at this point.

The major question marks are mechanics, durability and stamina.

There's no doubt he's a bulldogish competitor who wears his emotions on his sleeves...and a great college pitcher as well.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
What exactly do you mean by this? I'm not following.

I mean that there is a scenario where he is worse than an elite closer. I think he ends up as a solid #2 starter, but it is possible for him to be worse than an elite closer.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
The major question marks are mechanics, durability and stamina.

There's no doubt he's a bulldogish competitor who wears his emotions on his sleeves...and a great college pitcher as well.

The mechanic s arrnt the issue as much as the high effort delivery. He uses everything he has on every pitch. Not very conducive to pitching deep into games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
See, this statement is based on Rodon falling into their laps...and Chris Sale (who was obviously the best scouting example).

But Fulmer and Rodon were the best collegiate pitchers those two seasons, respectively.

Adams was a high schooler, as was Hector Santiago. We all know about Quintana's origins.

The Sox are great at finding pitching, PERIOD, but that reputation with college pitchers is more based on 1998 through the Broadway, Ring, Poreda and McCulloch selections...before the drafting philosophy shifted dramatically.

It will be interesting to see how good Rodon is this year.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 11:24 PM)
I mean that there is a scenario where he is worse than an elite closer. I think he ends up as a solid #2 starter, but it is possible for him to be worse than an elite closer.

Definitely.

I hope we don't see him in the rotation this year. Build up more innings this year in the minors plus possible late bullpen addition for potential playoff push.

Edited by soxfan2014

It's plausible he could come up to the big leagues some time this season if there's an injury related opening, but you can't expect him to be a strong contributor. He could fill in and give a couple positive starts perhaps, but like any rookie if he's out there for some time he'll have some down games as well.