OF Options

rhuesmann35

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
Bruce is a marginal upgrade from AVI IF both repeat their last 2 seasons.

Bruce hasn't had an OBP over .300 in the last 2 years. How much more of that kind of hitting do the Sox need?

Bruce is worth a middle reliever, I guess. But that's about it.

People constantly want to sell low and buy high, which is what dumping Avi would be.

Much rather the Saunders side of that deal anyway, if he were healthy.

I don't want Bruce, but exactly how would he be buying high?

It is pretty funny you would like Saunders in a post you complain about OBP considering his career OBP is .301.

I've come to the conclusion you like players based on salary. The lower the better. JR might have is eye on you.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
I don't want Bruce, but exactly how would he be buying high?

It is pretty funny you would like Saunders in a post you complain about OBP considering his career OBP is .301.

I've come to the conclusion you like players based on salary. The lower the better. JR might have is eye on you.

2012 - .306

2013 - .323

2014- .341

2015 - injured

Notice the trend? Come on, even you can see it. And on an AL team that played in a pitchers' park (v. an NL bandbox) as well.

Young players do improve. And believe me, I know it goes against the conventional wisdom on here and in the Sox org. to suggest that. Love of decliners is a security blanket. "Don't blame us; we picked up a player who was good once. Who could have known he was out of gas? Not our fault."

So much easier than giving young players a chance and risking they fail. And bad veterans has been such a bountiful strategy.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
2012 - .306

2013 - .323

2014- .341

2015 - injured

Notice the trend? Come on, even you can see it. And on an AL team that played in a pitchers' park (v. an NL bandbox) as well.

Young players do improve. And believe me, I know it goes against the conventional wisdom on here and in the Sox org. to suggest that. Love of decliners is a security blanket. "Don't blame us; we picked up a player who was good once. Who could have known he was out of gas? Not our fault."

So much easier than giving young players a chance and risking they fail. And bad veterans has been such a bountiful strategy.

So 1 year above average, and even that year he missed most of the 2nd half hurt. He has about 80 plate appearances the last year and and half. I noticed you didn't include last year's total because of the injury probably using sample size so it won't fit into your narrative. The Sox have given Avi a lot of ABs. How many more ABs do they need to give him before it would be OK with you they moved on? It's not only hitting. He has shown he cannot field or run the bases well.

versus what, Dick?

Bruce's OBPs of .281 and .291 the last 2 years playing in a NL bandbox? He hits like Chris Carter. I remember your response when I suggested the Sox pick him up ( at 1/6 of the salary and zero acquisition cost).

Yea, Saunders got hurt in 2014. He hit well before the injury and he hit well the month after the injury. But by all means, let 36 ABs in 2015 trump that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 8m8 minutes ago

Avisail Garcia, 24, on critics: "I don't pay attention to all that stuff. All I can do is prepare to be ready.' Trying more upright stance.

More upright stance worked for Tulo who had a very crouched hunched stance his first season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
versus what, Dick?

Bruce's OBPs of .281 and .291 the last 2 years playing in a NL bandbox? He hits like Chris Carter. I remember your response when I suggested the Sox pick him up ( at 1/6 of the salary and zero acquisition cost).

Yea, Saunders got hurt in 2014. He hit well before the injury and he hit well the month after the injury. But by all means, let 36 ABs in 2015 trump that.

You are basing his "improvement" on an injury plaqued year. Before his .341 OBP in half a season in 2014, his career high was .323. Bruce's career OBP is .319. You might also want to note that since half seasons show a lot, Jay Bruce had a .341 OBP at the All Star break last year.

Bruce isn't the answer, but neither is Michael Saunders. And it's not a White Sox thing to think Bruce is probably better than Saunders. The Blue Jays were going to make that trade.

Edited by Dick Allen

Could this affect Fowler to Baltimore? It could be the O's only want to go all-in if they can truly go...all-in. Maybe Gallardo's physical is holding up the Fowler contract offer to be officially made....

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch 21m

21 minutes ago

Told there's "more work to do" on Gallardo physical. Diagnostic tests. So.....stay tuned #orioles

Jeff PassanVerified account

‏@JeffPassan

Source: Questions have come up with Yovani Gallardo's physical with Baltimore. Status of deal is unclear. O's notorious medical sticklers.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Could this affect Fowler to Baltimore? It could be the O's only want to go all-in if they can truly go...all-in. Maybe Gallardo's physical is holding up the Fowler contract offer to be officially made....

21 minutes ago

Told there's "more work to do" on Gallardo physical. Diagnostic tests. So.....stay tuned #orioles

‏@JeffPassan

Source: Questions have come up with Yovani Gallardo's physical with Baltimore. Status of deal is unclear. O's notorious medical sticklers.

Lmao oh Baltimore.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Lmao oh Baltimore.

Yeah, who would have guessed it?

You can rip JR and the White Sox all you want, but Baltimore and their physicals....why would a free agent go there if he is offered anything similar anywhere else. At the very best you are getting something similar. But you are risking flunking the physical and therefore costing yourself money elsewhere. It has to be a worst case scenario destination at this point.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)

21 minutes ago

‏@JeffPassan

Angelo does it again. Nothing is ever done with Baltimore.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m5 minutes ago

Question for #Orioles is whether they would give up No. 14 pick for Gallardo if they fear he’s hurt. Fowler also would require loss of pick.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m5 minutes ago

Sources: #Orioles concerned with Gallardo’s physical, as @jeffpassan said. Could try to restructure contract or back out entirely.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
So the Sox pick would be back to #28 correct?

Unless you are just messing with the player, if there is something wrong enough with this physical to hold up the signing, why would you give up #14 for that opportunity?

Yes.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2016-mlb-draft-order/

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 05:37 PM)
Until he fails his physical...

Very true.

I am extremely disappointed the Sox couldn't or wouldn't go to this level.

I still think they have another move they will make, but if they don't, and Avi fails, they deserve all the grief they are going to get.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:40 PM)
Very true.

I still think they have another move they will make, but if they don't, and Avi fails, they deserve all the grief they are going to get.

i am being prissy here, but that does not help when the chance to do something is gone. the window of opportunity is missed, again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 12:40 AM)
Very true.

I've said this in a few threads, but if they keep Avi and LaRoche as starters and the team tanks again, I see no reason for Hahn and Ventura to keep their jobs.