New scoreboard "will change game experience"

InTheDriversSeat

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
Piece on Tribune's site along with a cool feature allowing you to compare every team's video board to Cleveland's, which is the largest.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...-htmlstory.html

Good stuff, is there any reason LA (Dodgers) wouldn't opt for bigger boards? Just built in '13 and they're pretty small.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
They revealed bits and pieces of it. Chance The Rapper narrates it

Yes. Here is a bit

http://www.redeyechicago.com/sports/redeye...0405-story.html

They really haven't even shown much of the other 2 boards either. Should be quite the video experience. It looks like they upgraded the little message ticker on the billboard down the RF line, and that is where they will be using for the out of town scores.

Edited by Dick Allen

As social services in the state of Illinois are slashed, the White Sox get a new taxpayer-funded scoreboard.

The Sox deal with the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority is the gift that keeps on giving.

http://southside.locals.baseballprospectus...ew-videoboards/

For example, we might ask what kind of world we live in, where we can pay for $7 million worth of state-of-the-art digital technology at the White Sox baseball stadium, but we can’t pay for computers in our classrooms?

The answer is that Jerry Reinsdorf has a much better deal with the state than our schools. Illinois ranks lowest among states in education spending, but is near the top in stadium money giveaways (to my knowledge, the Sox still enjoy the cheapest rent in the league).

Moreover, the US Cellular Field lease agreement requires the state pay to replace “any obsolete component of the Stadium with more modern replacements which may in the future become in use in at least seventy-five (75%) percent of Major League Baseball stadiums.”

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Of course it's ridiculous. The Bar and Grill though is a bigger crock. I think they spent about just as much money on that and JR gets to keep all the profits. At least taxpayers of IL will be able to enjoy these boards.

Of course the state of Illinois is getting their 10% kick back out of every dollar spent there too, so I don't really feel too bad for them.

Because the White Sox do nothing for the state of Illinois. I get the "no stadiums are good for cities" thing, but this isn't a new stadium, it's a $7 million scoreboard.

And I hate the "Why aren't they paying for the schools instead of ________?". The school system broke itself. Period.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it to my first game this season after getting rained out two weeks ago.

The boards look great, but the content is lacking. With all of that real estate, there is NO reason why they only stats I get for the batter is AVG, HR, RBI like it's 1952. Triple slash should be mandatory--all of the other parks with new boards have this up constantly. (Miller and Wrigley, to name the local competition) Even the old boards would have these up on the RF one, though it was hard to read and you'd have to wait for the stats to cycle through. Similarly, I sould also be able to see K/9, K/BB, FIP, etc for pitchers.

But really, an absolute joke. I shouldn't need to pull up my phone to look up a guy's OBP and SLG in 2016 when we have brand new $7m video boards.

Finally made it to my first game this season after getting rained out two weeks ago.

The boards look great, but the content is lacking. With all of that real estate, there is NO reason why they only stats I get for the batter is AVG, HR, RBI like it's 1952. Triple slash should be mandatory--all of the other parks with new boards have this up constantly. (Miller and Wrigley, to name the local competition) Even the old boards would have these up on the RF one, though it was hard to read and you'd have to wait for the stats to cycle through. Similarly, I sould also be able to see K/9, K/BB, FIP, etc for pitchers.

But really, an absolute joke. I shouldn't need to pull up my phone to look up a guy's OBP and SLG in 2016 when we have brand new $7m video boards.

Most importantly, I should be able to see what a batter did previously. Meaning, not just "0-2", but, "0-2: flyout in 1st, groundout in 4th". The LF board is really pretty useless aside from the one section that shows batter splits and the pitch count. Put it there.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
Most importantly, I should be able to see what a batter did previously. Meaning, not just "0-2", but, "0-2: flyout in 1st, groundout in 4th". The LF board is really pretty useless aside from the one section that shows batter splits and the pitch count. Put it there.

That was my gripe as well. No where did they display what a batter had done in the game thus far. No even a "0-2 on the day". The old board described exactly what you said.

Instead, every time I looked at that left board, the entire right 1/3 of the board was a warning about not running on to the field....

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)
That was my gripe as well. No where did they display what a batter had done in the game thus far. No even a "0-2 on the day". The old board described exactly what you said.

Instead, every time I looked at that left board, the entire right 1/3 of the board was a warning about not running on to the field....

Yeah, that LF board especially is showing a whole lotta nothin'.