Desmond Jennings

BlackSox13

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
If we're going for the "anything is better than Avi" route Jennings is fine I guess, but if he wasn't a former top prospect would anybody care? He's 29 with over 2,000 AB's...don't think any light is going to come on. Especially in this franchise where hitting talent goes to die. I'd rather just keep Petricka honestly, guys who can play a good LF and barely maintain a .700 OPS aren't that hard to find.

I think it's more people are viewing him as a guy who will likely put up similar production to AJax but is much cheaper. If we trade for Jennings we can still sign a Desmond or Latos, but signing Jackson means another move is probably unlikely (I agree with DA that he'll probably be more expensive than a lot of people think).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
If we're going for the "anything is better than Avi" route Jennings is fine I guess, but if he wasn't a former top prospect would anybody care? He's 29 with over 2,000 AB's...don't think any light is going to come on. Especially in this franchise where hitting talent goes to die. I'd rather just keep Petricka honestly, guys who can play a good LF and barely maintain a .700 OPS aren't that hard to find.

Apparently it's harder than thought as we dont have one

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
My whole thing is why couldn't they have got Dickerson for Petricka & a lower level guy or two? Would be frustrating if this is the move they made.

I like Petricka, but to think he's comparable value-wise to McGee is silly.

Plus, while I wouldn't have been upset had the Sox acquired Dickerson, the dude is pretty s***ty in the OF.

My whole thing is why couldn't they have got Dickerson for Petricka & a lower level guy or two? Would be frustrating if this is the move they made.

White Sox don't really have a guy comparable to McGee unless they moved Nate Jones.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
White Sox don't really have a guy comparable to McGee unless they moved Nate Jones.

Plus the prospect that went to the Rockies is supposed to be pretty decent. Mcgee probably won't be around to long with the Rockies and there were alot of teams after him before the trade. So figure the Rockies will be getting back more when Mcgee gets traded at some point.

Yesterday, the day of the Dickerson trade, there was a major article in The Denver Post saying Dickerson would not be traded. Gotta love it.

I had no idea Rox would trade him that cheaply, but then I don't know much about the minor league pitcher they got from Tampa, other than he was on the ML roster. Rox then DFA'd Friedrich, another lefty pitcher.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
well i am extremely apprehensive in getting Jennings. his defensive stats, i will let the guys who are way better at than i to break it down.

but offensively, no... i look at the 13 and 14 stats, the splits and his hitting vs rhp, is almost the same. around the 235 range.... no way will this will be a nice pickup. well at least for what i know in baseball stats.

Omar sums up what I'm thinking in the quoted post below.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I think it's more people are viewing him as a guy who will likely put up similar production to AJax but is much cheaper. If we trade for Jennings we can still sign a Desmond or Latos, but signing Jackson means another move is probably unlikely (I agree with DA that he'll probably be more expensive than a lot of people think).

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Plus, Jennings gets Avi off the field.

An outfielder with plantar fasciitis is a bad combination and a problem that doesn't just go away. Gillaspie struggled with it and the same with Quentin. The Rays have a DH spot to use Dickerson in but the Sox already have too many should-be DH's with Avi, LaRoche and Melky.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Plus the prospect that went to the Rockies is supposed to be pretty decent. Mcgee probably won't be around to long with the Rockies and there were alot of teams after him before the trade. So figure the Rockies will be getting back more when Mcgee gets traded at some point.

I did a little reading and watched some video of Marquez and he has good things going for him. Strike thrower, sinking fastball, good curveball, developing change up and generates alot of ground balls. I would imagine the high GB rate is one of the things Colorado likes most about Marquez.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
Desmond Jennings for Petricka would be an excellent move for White Sox. Could Jennings push Eaton to a corner and play CF?

I'd like that Jennings fits the window/age/budget and lines up with the sox depth. If the hype is to believed from Dan Farnsworth maybe an eventual outfield of Jennings / Engle / Eaton from left to right could be had.

Oakland A's Trade Targets: Desmond Jennings or Brandon Guyer?

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2016/2/1/10878476/article

Could the Royals be looking to acquire a Rays outfielder?

http://www.royalsreview.com/2016/2/1/10882...s-brandon-guyer

Edited by BlackSox13

KC just picked up Travis Snider, but that was on a minor-league contract.

Their posture all off-season has been 100% confidence in Dyson, but they definitely could use a RH bat with less downside risk than Orlando. Austin Jackson would be a natural fit, but they wasted so much money on Kennedy already it seems he would be out of their price range as a guy only getting 200-250 at-bats.

The one thing on their side is they do have a pretty good relationship with Boras.

All things considered, Jennings would be their best choice as a RH if the price is right as he fits in their 2 year window. But how willing are the Rays to sell low on him? That said, he's going to make a relatively higher salary the next two years than the Rays might be comfortable with for someone not in their long-term plans and possibly/probably declining due to age and injury concerns.

This is why Jennings is an attractive option for a lot of teams not willing to give up the pick or overspend on Fowler.

Edited by caulfield12

Desmond likely will be traded by the Rays. His $3.3 mill. salary for a 4th OFer is way to rich for their liking.

The A's article said they could get Desmond for a B level prospect. It should take more than that.

But the Sox would be better off with a healthy Desmond-give you a 3 WAR-for the cost [$3.3 mill. this year, maybe $4 mill. next) rather than Fowler for three years at $10 mill. per.

The Sox need a good, versatile glove and who has a bat with upside.