2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
They are going to just destroy the Reds and Brewers this year. If they play them 38 times or so, I expect something like 30-8

Don't forget about the Padres Phillies and braves

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 08:35 PM)
Absolutely, it's vintage 2008 Red Sox-Yankee games. So drawn out. Very good teams, but it's not very entertaining baseball for long stretches.

You can hear it when Theo talks about the game. He is just so methodical and brilliant, but you almost lose it. It's all just baseball chess.

This made me laugh. From a cub forum once again.

Big difference in managers too. Dusty loved to abuse his pitchers he is known for that. Dusty I am sure is linked to some injuries from what could have been a promising squad. He is also the reason didn't win in 2003. Prior is getting shaken and rocked and his manager#### on a toothpick like its ####.

07/08 great veteran squad. Solid manager. Problem is Lou was a pound it in your face get angry and motivate you. That worked 20 years ago now today your manager(essentially a players boss) is suppose to be buddy buddy..

2016 Cubs right blend of age and a manager that has a proven track record in a situation similar to this. Lets not forget he did take the Rays young squad to the WS. Yes any team can win a 7 game series, but we have Joe here for that reason to ensure he gets the most out of his players at the right time.

Edited by whitesoxjr27

Cubs will have the best record in baseball by a wide margin. 6 NL teams are in total rebuild mode (that includes the Padres, who, if not rebuilding, are still awful) so there will be a lot of record and stat inflation (ahem, when proposing to trade for NL players).

St Louis is taking a stop back this year, and the Pirates just aren't as good as they were last year.

Cubs have no real weaknesses and are built to pound the bad and mediocre teams.

Playoffs are a different story, however.

I think this is the scenario I'd like to see play out this year:

Cubs win 112 games, Arrieta repeats as Cy Young, Bryant/Rizzo wins MVP, hype is at maximum power. Mets beat the Pirates in the Wild Card game, then in the first inning of Game 1 of the NLDS midseason pickup David Murphy hits a 2-run homerun off Arrieta. Immediately everyone goes "god damnit not again" as the Mets proceed to beat them in 3 in similar fashion to last year. Meanwhile the Sox get into the playoffs as the second wildcard, and ride the top of their rotation to the World Series in close series against the Royals and Red Sox. Then the Sox win in 6 against the Giants (beating up Samardzija twice), breaking the even year bulls*** and causing everyone in Chicago on both sides to go apes***.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I think this is the scenario I'd like to see play out this year:

Cubs win 112 games, Arrieta repeats as Cy Young, Bryant/Rizzo wins MVP, hype is at maximum power. Mets beat the Pirates in the Wild Card game, then in the first inning of Game 1 of the NLDS midseason pickup David Murphy hits a 2-run homerun off Arrieta. Immediately everyone goes "god damnit not again" as the Mets proceed to beat them in 3 in similar fashion to last year. Meanwhile the Sox get into the playoffs as the second wildcard, and ride the top of their rotation to the World Series in close series against the Royals and Red Sox. Then the Sox win in 6 against the Giants (beating up Samardzija twice), breaking the even year bulls*** and causing everyone in Chicago on both sides to go apes***.

Ha I was thinking of a similar scenario this morning. Obviously winning the World Series would be amazing. But even getting 1 round further than the Cubs would make Chicago just lose it.

All I know is that the Cubs are living rent free in my head again this season...joking :)

It is just too bad how weak the NL is. They have an easy path to the division crown. However, I think they can be beat in the playoffs. I know that some say that they have no weaknesses. However, I think they are built well to pound bad and mediocre teams. However, I really think that the Sox could defeat them in a seven game series. I really do.

I am not yet sold on their #3-#5 SP's. And no matter what people say about their lineup, Fowler & Zobrist will have to slow down...and their ARE some low to mediocre batting averages in that lineup right now. I am not necessarily a big fan of Addison Russel's bat, or even Heyward's to be honest. I still can't believe they won game #1 against the Reds with only 2-3 hits. Once the Reds lost that game, you knew a sweep was coming. I am looking forward to them playing St. Louis, Pittsburgh, the Mets, San Fran, LA, Washington, etc. That will be a good test to see how they fare against some decent teams.

Go White Sox!

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
I want the cubs to go all the way, and lose...

To the White Sox.

It would be total chaos!

And people worry about the murder rate now, this would throw our city into a war zone. Cubs fans could never handle the Sox beating them in the World Series. It would trivialize their entire existence.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
And people worry about the murder rate now, this would throw our city into a war zone. Cubs fans could never handle the Sox beating them in the World Series. It would trivialize their entire existence.

I see nothing wrong with this. :P

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
Do the Cubs have the easiest schedule to start the year?

D-Backs, Reds, Rockies, Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Braves to start the year. That is down right laughable

THE REDS ARE A REALLY GOOD TEAM! THEY WERE IN FIRST PLACE GOING INTO THE SERIES!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
Do the Cubs have the easiest schedule to start the year?

D-Backs, Reds, Rockies, Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Braves to start the year. That is down right laughable

Nationals.

Braves, Marlins, Braves, Phillies, Marlins, Twins, Phillies. Their May is much tougher but April is a joke.