2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

I have already accepted that the Cubs will win the World Series. It's just when and am I still in Lakeview...luckily I'll be out of here at the end of July.

Can't wait to go to watch the Sox tomorrow. It's nice seeing them competitive in most games they have played this year. I hope they win tomorrow so I can enjoy my birthday game.

And...Buehrle's perfect game was more impressive than this.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lord chas @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 03:20 AM)
The drug test urine collector should be knocking on Jake's hotel room tommorrow morning

He very well may be completely clean. With that said, if he was doing this on the Sox, I would be skeptical about where the increase in ability came from. Felt that way about a few Sox guys in the past as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
He very well may be completely clean. With that said, if he was doing this on the Sox, I would be skeptical about where the increase in ability came from. Felt that way about a few Sox guys in the past as well.

Like who?

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
I have already accepted that the Cubs will win the World Series. It's just when and am I still in Lakeview...luckily I'll be out of here at the end of July.

Can't wait to go to watch the Sox tomorrow. It's nice seeing them competitive in most games they have played this year. I hope they win tomorrow so I can enjoy my birthday game.

Well yeah, hence the "perfect" part

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)

The nationals will take care of them

Arrieta will have a significant shoulder injury within the next year or two, guaranteed. He throws completely across his body in a manner developed by moving further on the pitching rubber. I see Andrew Miller whenever I think of Arrieta. If he was coming out of college everyone would be screaming injury risk. Granted, he may have a World Series win by that time, but no way I'd sign him to a long term deal

Arrieta is like 99 Pedro right now. Just a machine. He was supposed to be really good though, guys. Nobody thought this good but definitely a #1 starter. He was a high draft pick. Baltimore tried to change him and f***ed him up. He went to the Cubs and they told him to just pitch how he wants to pitch and here we are. I think it'll be curious to see what happens over next couple years. He's a free agent after 2017, will be 31 years old and in line for a 7-8 year deal. Not sure if the Cubs it at that point. Someone will though.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
I hope the Cubs sign him long term, as it would be great to see them have another albatross contract along with Lester and Heyward.

It doesn't really matter though for them. They'll just be able to spend over their mistakes. They'll be printing money soon.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
I hope the Cubs sign him long term, as it would be great to see them have another albatross contract along with Lester and Heyward.

Heyward will be a terrible contract relatively soon, I believe. I always thought that guy was overrated. Definitely not in the field, but with the bat, absolutely.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 12:15 AM)
Arrieta will have a significant shoulder injury within the next year or two, guaranteed. He throws completely across his body in a manner developed by moving further on the pitching rubber. I see Andrew Miller whenever I think of Arrieta. If he was coming out of college everyone would be screaming injury risk. Granted, he may have a World Series win by that time, but no way I'd sign him to a long term deal

His mechanics are relatively clean. He curls his lower half around that might give that illusion but lands straight and doesn't go across his body. Nice recovery phase. I dont know if his mechanics scream shoulder surgery to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
Best stretch of our lifetime by far I believe

He's unbelievable right now. Count me among the PED suspicious, but who knows? I'm jealous. It's probably Pilates and diet.

Closest thing I remember (and not nearly as dominant) was Jose Contreras going 17-0 over a 24 game stretch in 2005-06.

I think the Cubs just need to be careful with Arrieta's workload. He got overworked last year and was less effective in the playoffs. If they're going to cruise to a division title, there's no reason for him to throw 250 innings again.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
I think the Cubs just need to be careful with Arrieta's workload. He got overworked last year and was less effective in the playoffs. If they're going to cruise to a division title, there's no reason for him to throw 250 innings again.

especially because they are going to make the playoffs by like 15 games. If im the cubs I would strongly consider limiting him to about 25-26 starts

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
His mechanics are relatively clean. He curls his lower half around that might give that illusion but lands straight and doesn't go across his body. Nice recovery phase. I dont know if his mechanics scream shoulder surgery to me.

Granted I'm not an expert on sports physiology, I just recall an MLB network feature detailing his effectiveness with a delivery that some believed to be "illegal" because he appears to throw from the shortstop position (due to his windup) while releasing the pitch across his body; which gives added movement and deception to the pitches.

I'd be more willing to believe he can continue producing injury free for many years if: one, there were more pitchers with a cross body delivery who aviided injury; and two, if he had not just refined his mechanics last season.

Edited by Flash Tizzle